Sign in with
Your question

22" NEC/Mitsubishi or 21" Sony

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 30, 2003 12:35:42 AM

I've had a 19" non-trinitron monitor that I got with an old Dell system 4 years ago. It's time to move on.

The lines on a trinitron or diamondtron don't bother me. I haven't had them for the last couple of years but I had a trinitron before. I remember it being annoying at first but getting used to it real quick. You don't really notice unless you have an all white background anyways.

I pretty much only want a monitor for gaming. I'm sure I'll play some divx, but my main purpose is for gaming. I generally output divx to my 27" TV anyways.

I read the reviews on the Sony CPD E540 and it seems to be ok but the general consensus seems to indicate that the NEC/Mitsubishi monitors are better. I don't really think I'd have much use out of a CPD G520P since I seriously doubt I'd play games above 1600x1200. That monitor seems to be overkill, or better suited for a hard core graphics designer.

I was looking at the NEC/Mistubishi FE2111SB and the FP2141SB-BK (which is apparently identical to the DP2070SB-BK but cheaper) as well.

I can't really make heads or tails out of all this. The diamondtron tubes are brighter and run best at 1600x1200. The FE2111SB apparently runs optimally at 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz at 115 kHz while the FP2141SB-BK is at 1600x1200 @85 Hz at 140 kHz.

Any advice?

I've read around here and on a couple other forums but everything changes so quickly. Over at hardforums they're all fixated on the 2001FP from Dell, but I'm in no mood for ghosting in games so I'd rather save money and get a good CRT that is bright, won't have dead and stuck pixels, and can run great at a number of resolutions.

This is of course coming from a guy with a POS 19" at 1024x768.

More about : nec mitsubishi sony

December 31, 2003 3:49:59 AM

U talking bout the HardOcp forums?

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
December 31, 2003 10:17:53 PM

Yeah.

I still need to know which monitor to get. It's impossible to tell at stores since all of them have their monitors set up on splitters and the image quality is horrendous.

January 1, 2004 8:40:11 PM

Anyway to ask em to hook it up to a comp so u can check out the monitor better that way?

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
January 1, 2004 9:39:29 PM

They said no. I couldn't believe it.

January 2, 2004 10:54:27 PM

I am partial to Mitsu myself and I can attest to how long they last. I still get comments on the color when people come over. (it does help to try and calibrate them somewhat). My only complaint is the difficulty in setting up the screen geometry. Never does seem to be just right.

Samsung's seem to get good reviews although I have never owned one.

Athlon 2000XP, A7N8X Deluxe, Corsair 3200XMS, WD Raptor 36GB, Radeon 9700 Pro, Yamaha EZ3200CDRW, 19" Mistubishi Diamond Pro 900usb, Antec 430W TruePower, Klipsch GMX A-2.1<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by westcott on 01/02/04 06:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 3, 2004 1:42:37 AM

I just noticed Samsung today. It seems that they have a great dot pitch, but they don't run as fast (75 Hz vs 85 Hz) at high resolutions.

Why is Samsung so much cheaper than NEC/Mitsubishi and Sony. It's almost ridiculously cheap.

January 3, 2004 3:44:33 AM

The Samsung probably uses a shadow mask picture tube. The Mitsubishi (diamondtron) and Sony (trinitron) use aperture grill picture tubes.
Aperture grill picture tubes are more difficult to manufacture therefore are more expensive.
The main difference between the two manufacturing technologies is:
Shadow Mask have a lower resolution but a brighter picture.
Aperture Grill have a higher resolution but a lower brightness.
Samsung does have a product line that uses aperture grill picture tubes and their cost is comparable to the NEC/Mitsubishi and Sony products.

Personally I use a Samsung 753DF (17") monitor. When the Samsung 173T (17" high resolution, high contrast ratio) LCD monitors come down in price I will get one. Right now they cost $650 CAD. When they fall below $500 CAD I will buy one.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
January 4, 2004 5:12:45 PM

I'm frustrated beyond belief now.

All I want to do is buy a stupid monitor.

I've gone to best buy, frys, and compusa and besides the retards that work there they have only a couple to look at and they're all hooked up to splitters so that the IQ looks terrible. I've seen the Sony E540 and the NEC2111 and that's it. Who in their right mind would even buy a monitor at these places?? I've asked them to attach them to a real computer but they won't. Nonetheless, I haven't even been able to see a Samsung in action. How in the world I'm a supposed to buy a monitor if I can't see them, there are barely any reviews online, and almost nobody owns a big monitor?

January 4, 2004 10:32:42 PM

Well if I had the choice between NEC/Mitsubishi or Sony I would go with the NEC/Mitsubishi model. We have the Sony 21" monitors at work. We have three of them sitting side by side. Two of them have burnin on the tubes. Appherently it can occur on the Trinitron tube. One of them the brightness is permanently stuck on maximum. The other the brightness can be adjusted to maximum but you still can't see anything. The third one still works ok but the resolution sucks.
These monitors are on 24/7 so after a year's service they were shot. These monitors cost over a grand each. I think they should last longer than a year. For the price I think you should get more than 50 000 hours of continuous service from them.
That's my two cents. Sony SUCKS. Even my Sony ghetto blaster sucks. Everything Sony SUCKS.
Ok so my opinion is biased against Sony. But they do make decent ear bud headphones.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
January 17, 2004 5:30:22 AM

go with FP2141SB-BK
in hardforum they highly recommend this monitor

wish if there was UnDo in the life
January 20, 2004 5:02:40 PM

I love diamondtron tubes. We use Iiyama, which are very similar to the Mitsub/NEC tubes. Our monitors are on for 40 hours/week at work, and the 1994/5 models are just starting fail (power on getting iffy, convergence going, or screen burn) but that's after nearly 10 years!!!!

Every time I've tried the latest Sony 17 or 19" models, I've been disappointed. The only Sony 19" we have is rubbish - the focus has gone after only a couple of years.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 31, 2004 10:12:23 AM

IMO,
Sony is good, but yes the grid wire shadow can be a pain if you look for them. I think it was last year that I read that Samsung produced more than 75% of all CRT's made in the world. My choice would be Sony,Samsung,Mitsubishi in that order. If you have issue with the lines go with #2. Just my opinion.......Vista

Note: As far as LCD's go there are only a few manufacturers that make the actual LCD display, Samsung is one of them. Samsungs latest LCD is a dud, very surprised to have read the test reports on this new LCD.

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b>
February 1, 2004 3:29:23 PM

I vote for NEC/Mitsubishi. I've seen and heard two Sony 540's make a loud noise, as if something blew up, then never work again. This happened when the computer was turned on. Sony monitors are nice when they work, but I can't imagin spending big $$$ on a monitor, then have it blowup.

I have FE2111SB and DP2070SB. They both work wonderfully. If I didn't see the Sony's blowup, I probably buy one myself.
February 4, 2004 4:38:20 AM

Can you tell the difference between those two monitors? It's essentially the 2111 vs th 2141. When do you notice a difference?

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Jessica Simpson Naked!!!</A></b>
February 4, 2004 3:49:27 PM

Nope. You won't notice any difference. I do notice the difference between AIW 9700 pro vs the AIW 9800 pro. The 9800 is far better then the 9700. Unless I got two bad AIW 9700 pro cards, then that's just bad luck.

You will never use the 2048 x 1536 @ 50 to 86 resolution, that comes with the DP2070SB or FP2141SB. So there is no difference between FE2111SB or (DP2070SB, FP2141SB).

However, I understand that NEC/MITSUBISHI is releasing a new DP2070SB with better coloring details, but not sure if they will transfer this technology to the FE2111SB. I read this from CBIT or one of the annual computer shows. Toms cover this in its article.
!