Copy protection information?

Is there an easy way to find out what copy protection a particular title
uses?

In particular, I've heard Starforce or somesuch scheme sabotages your
machine, so obviously I don't want to go near any titles that use it -
not even the demos thereof, because I've heard the demos in some cases
contain the copy protection code. Is there anything like a web page with
a list of what games use what schemes?

Thanks,

--
"Always look on the bright side of life."
To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

"Russell Wallace" <russell.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way to find out what copy protection a particular title
> uses?
>
> In particular, I've heard Starforce or somesuch scheme sabotages your
> machine, so obviously I don't want to go near any titles that use it - not
> even the demos thereof, because I've heard the demos in some cases contain
> the copy protection code. Is there anything like a web page with a list of
> what games use what schemes?
>
> Thanks,

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/ClonyXXL.shtml

http://www.makeabackup.com/database.html

Google is your friend...

Kill Bill wrote:
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/ClonyXXL.shtml
>
> http://www.makeabackup.com/database.html
>
> Google is your friend...

I did Google, just didn't use the right search keys :) That's just what
I was looking for, thanks!

Do I understand correctly that Safedisc and Securom are okay (they just
try to prevent the game running without the original disk in the drive,
so worst case is that one ends up returning the game for a refund if
they don't work), Starforce being the only one that risks screwing up
your machine?

--

> Kill Bill wrote:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Images-Utils/ClonyXXL.shtml

> > http://www.makeabackup.com/database.html
> >
> > Google is your friend...
>
> I did Google, just didn't use the right search keys :) That's just what
> I was looking for, thanks!
>
> Do I understand correctly that Safedisc and Securom are okay (they just
> try to prevent the game running without the original disk in the drive,
> so worst case is that one ends up returning the game for a refund if
> they don't work), Starforce being the only one that risks screwing up
> your machine?

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/starforce_interview/

"In recent months there's been an increasing awareness and alarm over
StarForce copy protection. It's actually a driver that installs itself with
the games that come shipped with it, and originally it didn't uninstall when
the game was uninstalled. There are many panicked reports about "StarForce
disabled/fried my USB flash scanner/ATA drive/CD drive". Having lived
through several internet panics like this - from the V-chip through CD keys
to Senator Joe Lieberman's bills on game sales to minors - and generally
having participated on the wrong side of them - I was skeptical. I've
learned that if there's one thing that the internet is good at, it's
spreading rumors and unnecessary hyperbolic panic. Like I said, I was part
of that myself in earlier times."

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Russell Wallace wrote:

> Is there an easy way to find out what copy protection a particular title
> uses?

yes there is and your concerns are very important so you can defend your
own consumer rights as a pc gamer

check the link you already have, but please pay attention that there is
no need to backup a pc game if you take good care of your pc games, and
don't make copies to give to others cause that damages very much all of
us who like and support pc games, also don't forget leading is also very
bad for pc games

when checking the link you should pay attention to the following:
.. no need to backup pc games if you take good care of them
.. use the information to check wrong copy protections like starforce
.. don't ever make copies of your pc games and give them to others,
cause that's piracy and its the biggest threat and problem we have
.. don't even lend your own pc games and only use them yourself, if
a friend wants to play a game you own, let him play in your own pc
and if we wants to play it in his own pc help him find the best deal
available so he can get his own copy for him to use

> In particular, I've heard Starforce or somesuch scheme sabotages your
> machine, so obviously I don't want to go near any titles that use it -

i said no to starforce!
i think its a very wrong copy protection!
i always check to see if a pc game has starforce, if it has i say no to
it, but please never forget if a publisher decides to use starforce its
cause pirates made him so
its fighting against piracy that is the true fight against starforce!
fight piracy and that will make starforce go away!

have good honest supporting pc gaming free of starforce!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Russell Wallace wrote:

> Do I understand correctly that Safedisc and Securom are okay (they just
> try to prevent the game running without the original disk in the drive,

exactly
safedisc and securom are totally safe
to have a completely free experience with cd copy protection i suggest
you do the following
.. take very good care of your pc games
.. always use a cd-rom drive reader to play pc games
.. don't hesitate in buying a new cd-rom drive cause its so cheap and
so easy to install cause the newer the drive the best it can handle
all available cd copy protections

don't forget cd copy protection is needed cause there are lots of scum
thief criminals who robe pc games and damage us all, so these kinds of
cd copy protection try the best to fight against criminals like those
we should only blame scum pirates for cd copy protection not publishers

> so worst case is that one ends up returning the game for a refund if
> they don't work), Starforce being the only one that risks screwing up
> your machine?

believe me if you use a new cd-rom reader only drive and you take good
care of your pc games, you will never need to return any game featuring
safedisk or secumrom! you will always be able to totally enjoy the game
you bought

as for starforce obviously some of the scenarios we listen are a little
bit exaggerated but the important thing is, starforce is very wrong and
publishers need to know we will not buy any game with is

fortunately the majority of publishers don't use starforce, thank god!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

if its to protect your master you do your best!
if its to protect pc gamers you don't even try enough!

i know you can do much much better sir!
so shame on you for only trying when its to clean the dirt
your master makes!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:07:50 +0000, Russell Wallace
<russell.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is there an easy way to find out what copy protection a particular title
>uses?
>
>In particular, I've heard Starforce or somesuch scheme sabotages your
>machine, so obviously I don't want to go near any titles that use it -
>not even the demos thereof, because I've heard the demos in some cases
>contain the copy protection code. Is there anything like a web page with
>a list of what games use what schemes?
>
>Thanks,

A modest proposal....

StarForce should be identified on the game package, in the game
manual, on the game CD or DVD and in the EULA.

The removal tool should be installed by the game with a desktop icon.

StarForce, if it finds something it doesn't like, should put up this
splashscreen BEFORE a game starts:

"Before your copy of (name of game) can run, you must disable (name of
app) or uninstall (name of app) or remove (name of piece of hardware).
Once you have done this, please reboot your system and restart your
copy of (name of game)."

Of course, if StarForce finds nothing objectionable, the game simply
starts.

Would that really be that difficult?

While I find the idea of copy control annoying, I understand why
companies think it's necessary.

What I don't understand is why companies think it's OK to fail (or
refuse) to disclose information that legitimate buyers need to
actually enjoy their games.

I can't comply if I'm not told the rules.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:28:01 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>"In recent months there's been an increasing awareness and alarm over
>StarForce copy protection. It's actually a driver that installs itself with
>the games that come shipped with it, and originally it didn't uninstall when
>the game was uninstalled. There are many panicked reports about "StarForce
>disabled/fried my USB flash scanner/ATA drive/CD drive". Having lived
>through several internet panics like this - from the V-chip through CD keys
>to Senator Joe Lieberman's bills on game sales to minors - and generally
>having participated on the wrong side of them - I was skeptical. I've
>learned that if there's one thing that the internet is good at, it's
>spreading rumors and unnecessary hyperbolic panic. Like I said, I was part
>of that myself in earlier times."

Yea, well, here's something that someone tested with Starforce the
other day. Using Nero you can still burn data, music disks etc. but
when you try to burn an ISO it CTD's.

Thusly "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> Spake Unto All:

>http://www.firingsquad.com/features/starforce_interview/

On the other hand, that's an uncritical interview with the PR
representative of the company making the crud. The things she says is
what she'd say even if it ate small children. ESPECIALLY if it ate
small children, in fact, to avoid liability.
The interviewer even lets her get away with starforce "not realizing"
people might be upset that their driver (which doesn't accept the
presence of any software it deems helpful to pirates) was installed
without warning and *left running* after the game was uninstalled.

Personally I hate and despise CD-based copy protection. It has no
other function than to punish legitimate users who wish to (legally)
back up their CD's, because contrary to the fluff spouted by the PR
representative of starforce, it offers no better protection against
casual copiers than any other method, and zero protection against the
warez-groups.
CD-based copy protection is something saynotodifool could legitimately
obsess about.

And this is the worst of all CD-based copy protection schemes.

"Russell Wallace" wrote...

> In particular, I've heard Starforce or somesuch scheme sabotages your
> machine, so obviously I don't want to go near any titles that use it -
<snip>

> "Always look on the bright side of life."

Hahaha.... yeah.... I bet that includes thinking StarForce is trying to
sabotage your PC ;)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:27:50 -0600, himrlipid wrote:
>A modest proposal....

<SNIP>

>I can't comply if I'm not told the rules.

That's far too sensible a proposal for them to adopt :)

They'd probably claim that disclosing the copy protection method gives
the hackers a head start, but I'll bet they're really worried that it
would put some purchasers off.

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:48:27 -0800, Connected <connected@somewhere.here>
wrote:
>Yea, well, here's something that someone tested with Starforce the
>other day. Using Nero you can still burn data, music disks etc. but
>when you try to burn an ISO it CTD's.

Great, and I know Nero is still pre-installed by some PC suppliers in
the UK on systems with CDRWs. There'll be a whole host of unhappy
customers not knowing why there game won't work :(

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> Spake Unto All:
>
> >http://www.firingsquad.com/features/starforce_interview/
>
> On the other hand, that's an uncritical interview with the PR
> representative of the company making the crud. The things she says is
> what she'd say even if it ate small children. ESPECIALLY if it ate
> small children, in fact, to avoid liability.
> The interviewer even lets her get away with starforce "not realizing"
> people might be upset that their driver (which doesn't accept the
> presence of any software it deems helpful to pirates) was installed
> without warning and *left running* after the game was uninstalled.

I don't think the intent of the interview was to set them down and grilled
them for 2hrs. But rather to give the company a chance to tell their side
of the story.

As to "not realizing" people might... as someone that has had to deliver
software to users, I've been there. As hard as I tried to give them what I
thought was needed, I was usually met with "Why doesn't it do this or that?"
& "And how come I have to do ....?"

So they made a mistake and left a driving installed. Have they fixed that
based on user feedback? If so, next issue.

> Personally I hate and despise CD-based copy protection. It has no
> other function than to punish legitimate users who wish to (legally)
> back up their CD's, because contrary to the fluff spouted by the PR
> representative of starforce, it offers no better protection against
> casual copiers than any other method, and zero protection against the
> warez-groups.

I'm not big on it either, but I don't like having to lock my doors at night
either.

> CD-based copy protection is something saynotodifool could legitimately
> obsess about.
>
> And this is the worst of all CD-based copy protection schemes.

If if fact they have cleared up the driver issue, in your opinion, what's
the biggest draw back of StarForce?

Also, how would a user know if it's on a new game that he brought?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:41:16 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

<SNIP>
>If if fact they have cleared up the driver issue, in your opinion, what's
>the biggest draw back of StarForce?

That it produces bizarre system behavior if it finds something it
doesn't like. And no one is willing to step forward and list the
things it doesn't like.

Bizarre system behavior includes tossing drives into MS-DOS
Compatibility Mode and, upon rebooting, the entire system into Safe
Mode. This does not end with uninstalling the game. The StarForce
drivers need to be removed and it seems that StarForce will remove the
removal tool if it finds it during the installation of a game.

So, if you want the tool on hand, it had better be on a CD or a
diskette because it won't be on your system once StarForce is in
place.

>Also, how would a user know if it's on a new game that he brought?

He wouldn't until he had to enter two strings of numbers: One during
the initial installation and the second following a reboot to complete
the installation.

"sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> if its to protect your master you do your best!
> if its to protect pc gamers you don't even try enough!

My master is the one above who teaches me to love thy neighbor. And I want
you to know that I love you. ;)

> i know you can do much much better sir!

I'm capable of a lot of things. But this is about as good as I get. And
I can play dead, chase cats, howl at the moon...

> so shame on you for only trying when its to clean the dirt
> your master makes!

It it's dirty, and it needs cleaning, then I don't mind cleaning it.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:17:47 +0000, "Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Great, and I know Nero is still pre-installed by some PC suppliers in
>the UK on systems with CDRWs. There'll be a whole host of unhappy
>customers not knowing why there game won't work :(

I never said the game won't run. I said that when he tried to burn an
ISO to cdr after installing a game protected by Starforce Nero crashed
to the desktop. It didn't do that before installing Starforce.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:07:56 +0000, sayNO2piracy
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i said no to starforce!

Why?

>i think its a very wrong copy protection!

It would be a first for you, to think that a pc game could possibly
have anything wrong with it, as long as it came in a pretty box.

>i always check to see if a pc game has starforce, if it has i say no to
>it, but please never forget if a publisher decides to use starforce its
>cause pirates made him so

Pirates don't force publishers to do anything. Starforce is an
overpriced pile of junk to be sure, but nothing is making publishers
use it rather than using safedisc or securom.

>its fighting against piracy that is the true fight against starforce!
>fight piracy and that will make starforce go away!

No it won't. Starforce games are pirated within days of release,
just like everything else.

>have good honest supporting pc gaming free of starforce!

How, by asking for first impressions so you can avoid buying a game
you might not like? Didn't you tell us that wasn't the way to
properly reward the retail channel?

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:08:04 +0000, sayNO2piracy
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>. always use a cd-rom drive reader to play pc games
>. don't hesitate in buying a new cd-rom drive cause its so cheap and
>so easy to install cause the newer the drive the best it can handle
>all available cd copy protections

I don't remember you including a new cd-rom drive in your list of
acceptable gaming costs

>don't forget cd copy protection is needed cause there are lots of scum
>thief criminals who robe pc games and damage us all, so these kinds of
>cd copy protection try the best to fight against criminals like those
>we should only blame scum pirates for cd copy protection not publishers

Yet copy protection doesn't stop the pirates, adds to the cost of
games and only prevents paying consumers from playing the game they
actually paid for.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:50:07 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>"sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>>
>> if its to protect your master you do your best!
>> if its to protect pc gamers you don't even try enough!
>>

>My master is the one above who teaches me to love thy neighbor. And I want
>you to know that I love you. ;)

But even Jesus felt he had to lay down the smack on the
moneychangers in the temple. :)

wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:48:27 -0800, Connected <connected@somewhere.here>
>wrote:
>>Yea, well, here's something that someone tested with Starforce the
>>other day. Using Nero you can still burn data, music disks etc. but
>>when you try to burn an ISO it CTD's.
>
>Great, and I know Nero is still pre-installed by some PC suppliers in
>the UK on systems with CDRWs.

Nero software comes bundled with many Lite-On drives. I can either
accept having a publisher tell me that I can't use manufacturer
recommended software or I can just tell the publisher to go to hell.

It wasn't a hard choice.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:53:36 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nero software comes bundled with many Lite-On drives. I can either
>accept having a publisher tell me that I can't use manufacturer
>recommended software or I can just tell the publisher to go to hell.
>
> It wasn't a hard choice.

Well, this was one persons experience. We should confirm that it is a
universal problem first. And remember, it is only with burning ISO
images to cdr. It may have been a problem specific to his version of
Nero too but he is pretty certain that Starforce is the culprit that
caused it.

Thusly himrlipid Spake Unto All:

>So, if you want the tool on hand, it had better be on a CD or a
>diskette because it won't be on your system once StarForce is in
>place.

It's evil trojan crud, right up there with NetBus and PornDialers. Any
game I buy with the filth goes straight back to the store, and I
advice everyone to do the same.

Thusly "Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net> Spake Unto All:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:48:27 -0800, Connected <connected@somewhere.here>
>wrote:
>>Yea, well, here's something that someone tested with Starforce the
>>other day. Using Nero you can still burn data, music disks etc. but
>>when you try to burn an ISO it CTD's.
>
>Great, and I know Nero is still pre-installed by some PC suppliers in
>the UK on systems with CDRWs. There'll be a whole host of unhappy
>customers not knowing why there game won't work :(

Return the game. Tell them it wouldn't run.

sayNO2piracy wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, himrlipid wrote:
>
> > A modest proposal....
>
> sorry but your modest proposal is instead a bad proposal...
>
> > StarForce should be identified on the game package, in the game
> > manual, on the game CD or DVD and in the EULA.
>
> this is not about proper labeling!
> you can't fix starforce!
> its like trying to fix manson!
> you can fix it!

If you read the rest of the post, he is proposing that Starforce be
fixed, so that it does not secretly change anything on your PC.