Error installing Half Life 2

I'm getting the following error when I try to install Half Life 2.
'Error 1305. Error reading from file: C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\base source shared sounds.gcf. Verify that
the file exists and that you can access it.'
It happens on disk 3. Anybody else getting this error? I'm doing a full
install, so this is not the CS Source error.
Needless to say, its very frustrating when you pay $55 for a game and
it won't install.

"stbenn" <sbennetch@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting the following error when I try to install Half Life 2.
> 'Error 1305. Error reading from file: C:\Program
> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\base source shared sounds.gcf. Verify that
> the file exists and that you can access it.'
> It happens on disk 3. Anybody else getting this error? I'm doing a full
> install, so this is not the CS Source error.
> Needless to say, its very frustrating when you pay $55 for a game and
> it won't install.

Check the disk for scratches, dirt, lint, ....
Try the disk in a different drive.

If you think the disk is defective, take it back to the store that you
bought it at. Most will exchange it for another box of the same game.

http://www.steampowered.com/

I must have the DVD version, cause I only have 1 disk. Have you tried the
Steam/Valve web site? Usually the developers web site will have a Forum to
read, search, and post these kinds of problems. Check for an FAQ section.
And finally if all else fails, recommend that you email the Tech Support
people.

I've had to email other companies on games before and have gotten pretty
good responses back.

hope this helps.

On 12 Mar 2005, "stbenn" wrote:

> Needless to say, its very frustrating when you pay $55 for a game and
> it won't install.

i'm sorry for all the troubles you've been dealing with steam

obviously its not mean to be any kind of consolation, but every week we
have 2 or 3 new posts like yours about problem installing hl2 steam

its a total crime against consumer rights what valve is doing, so what
you should do is now that the damage is done and you've payed for hl2
you must warn your friends and spread the word about all the problems
hl2 has so no other gamer will have to deal with what you are facing

protect your consumer rights! say no to steam! say no to valve! say no
to hl2!

> Check the disk for scratches, dirt, lint, ....
> Try the disk in a different drive.
>
> If you think the disk is defective, take it back to the store that
you
> bought it at. Most will exchange it for another box of the same
game.

Yeah, disc 3 had a scratch.
I took it back and got another copy and now it installs.
Thanks for your help.

sayNO2piracy wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2005, "stbenn" wrote:
>
> > Needless to say, its very frustrating when you pay $55 for a game
and
> > it won't install.
>
> i'm sorry for all the troubles you've been dealing with steam
>
> obviously its not mean to be any kind of consolation, but every week
we
> have 2 or 3 new posts like yours about problem installing hl2 steam
>
> its a total crime against consumer rights what valve is doing, so
what
> you should do is now that the damage is done and you've payed for hl2
> you must warn your friends and spread the word about all the problems
> hl2 has so no other gamer will have to deal with what you are facing
>
> protect your consumer rights! say no to steam! say no to valve! say
no
> to hl2!

Erm... his problem was that the RETAIL disc he had bought from a real
RETAIL shop was defective. It had a scratch. The RETAIL channel let him
down and failed to provide a usable product. This would not have
happened if he had been downloading from Steam.

The problem is nothing to do with Steam. The problem was the physical
CD he was sold.

> > Check the disk for scratches, dirt, lint, ....
> > Try the disk in a different drive.
> >
> > If you think the disk is defective, take it back to the store that
> you
> > bought it at. Most will exchange it for another box of the same
> game.
> >

> Yeah, disc 3 had a scratch.
> I took it back and got another copy and now it installs.
> Thanks for your help.

No problem. Hope you enjoy the game.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

i'm very sorry i have to reply like this to you!
believe me i am, cause i know you are a fair person
but why do you defend steam?
but why do you defend starforce?
but why do you call pc games a waste?
but why do you say pc games destroy the enviroment!
you defend everything being against us!
you put us down!
i simply don't understand why you do it unless you are not
one of us

Andrew

On 14 Mar 2005 03:43:55 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Erm... his problem was that the RETAIL disc he had bought from a real
>RETAIL shop was defective. It had a scratch. The RETAIL channel let him
>down and failed to provide a usable product. This would not have
>happened if he had been downloading from Steam.

protect your consumer rights! say no to retail CD's! say no to retail!
say no to DiF***wit! ;-)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Andrew wrote:

in this group i only see you doing two things... defending your master
valve and talking about demos...
you really play alot of demos...
so i was just thinking about what was the last pc game you bought?
hl2? was it hl2? i bet it was! and that was 4 months ago!
FOUR MONTHS AGO MISTER!!!
mister you post too much for so FEW pc games you purchase!
so i recommend much less time in this group and MORE time in your local
retail stores buying some pc games!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

Andrew

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:18:05 +0000, sayNO2steam
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>in this group i only see you doing two things... defending your master
>valve

Against your LIES, yes.

> and talking about demos...
>you really play alot of demos...

Yes, it helps me make informed decisions about which games are worthy
to buy. I have said a lot of positive things about the Swat 4 demo and
I will be buying the full game when it is released in a month or so.

>so i was just thinking about what was the last pc game you bought?
>hl2? was it hl2? i bet it was! and that was 4 months ago!
>FOUR MONTHS AGO MISTER!!!

How much is that bet? Your whole weeks pocket money? Since HL2 was
released (which I played through twice and I play CS:S) I have only
bought one game and that was Riddick. I played it about halfway
through, got bored and sold it. As it didn't really work for me, I
don't jump up and down about it.

>mister you post too much for so FEW pc games you purchase!
>so i recommend much less time in this group and MORE time in your local
>retail stores buying some pc games!

When a game worth playing arrives for sale in whatever distribution
format, I will buy it. It isn't my fault there has been a major lull
in worthwhile games since HL2.

So which games have you bought and played in the past 4 months? Put up
or STFU.

"sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> i'm very sorry i have to reply like this to you!

Don't be sorry.

> believe me i am, cause i know you are a fair person

I'm a Libra. What's your sign?

Libra is the only inanimate sign of the zodiac, all the others representing
either humans or animals. Many modern astrologers regard it as the most
desirable of zodiacal types because it represents the zenith of the year,
the high point of the seasons, when the harvest of all the hard work of the
spring is reaped. There is a mellowness and sense of relaxation in the air
as mankind enjoys the last of the summer sun and the fruits of his toil.
Librans too are among the most civilized of the twelve zodiacal characters
and are often good looking (that got this one right!).

They have elegance, charm and good taste, are
naturally kind, very gentle, and lovers of beauty, harmony (both in music
and social living) and the pleasures that these bring. (they also enjoy
HL2)

They have good critical faculty and are able to stand back and look
impartially at matters which call for an impartial judgment to be made on
them. But they do not tolerate argument from anyone who challenges their
opinions, for once they have reached a conclusion, its truth seems to them
self-evident; and among their faults is an impatience of criticism and a
greed for approval. But their characters are on the whole balanced,
diplomatic and even tempered.

Except for the not tolerate part, they pretty much nailed us Libras. ;)

> but why do you defend steam?

Have you ever seen the movie, "12 Angry Men"?

> but why do you defend starforce?

See above.

> but why do you call pc games a waste?

PC game "boxes" are a waste. Save a tree.

> but why do you say pc games destroy the enviroment!

See above.

> you defend everything being against us!

Maybe some people on some things some of the time.
And maybe everyone about everything a few times.
But not everything all of the time.

> you put us down!

Recommending that people save trees isn't putting people down.
Recommending that users test drive Steam/HL2 is putting people down.

> i simply don't understand why you do it unless you are not
> one of us

I'm my own dog. Woof!

sayNO2steam wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
>
> no! in this case and in all cases with hl2 troubleshooting it is
> valve fault! it is steam fault!

But in this case there was a scratch on the CD.

On 16 Mar 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

no! in this case and in all cases with hl2 troubleshooting it is
valve fault! it is steam fault!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

Andrew

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:21:05 +0000, sayNO2steam
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>no! in this case and in all cases with hl2 troubleshooting it is
>valve fault! it is steam fault!

Valve don't publish the retail game. When you work out the difference
between a developer and a publisher hopefully a little light will
flick on in your brain and you will realise what a fool you have been
making of yourself for months.