Sign in with
Your question

Will XP Compatibility mode on Win 7 x64 Pro run 16 & 32 bit programs?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 24, 2012 6:01:53 PM

One of our computers went down at work and we had to replace it with a Windows 7 computer. The other ones on the network still have 2000 and XP. Now we're having issues with the network... and they're hard to pinpoint because sometimes they come and go.

The plan is replace all the computers in the office with x64 Windows 7 machines.

Some of the Designers still use 16 and 32-bit programs that won't even install on the new x64 PC (Which has the Home Premium Version)

If we get Win 7 x74 Professional on all the computers on the network will they have trouble running these old apps through XP compatibility mode?
a b $ Windows 7
April 24, 2012 8:07:44 PM

You mean running on XP mode virtual pc. I got some old VB 6 app on it and it run fine. I would get one and try it first unless you know the 16-bits programs run on XP.
a b $ Windows 7
April 24, 2012 9:28:04 PM

Hi

By XP compatibility mode you are running Windows XP in a MS virtual machine.
If the application currently runs in XP it should run in XP mode
(available for free with Windows 7 professional or better)

You get a free copy of XP on a virtual disk so you do not need to buy and activate another copy of XP as happened with MS Virtual PC 2007.

However if your XP program interfaces with a USB device not supported by Windows 7 (32bit or 64 bit) you may still have problems. (scanner or multifunctional device)
The Graphics card emulated by the VM is quite old & low spec so you need to try the applications in the new environment
(4 MB S3 Trio video card.)

regards
Mike Barnes
Related resources
April 24, 2012 9:28:24 PM

Quote:
They should run through compatibility mode but if you have designers, why are they using such old programs? would have thought design would be at the front of tech http://www.adsfasgsgsf.com/fs/images/2.gif

AutoCAD. It's electrical engineering. We don't do 3D design. Boss man's got 2013 and the only thing that's different (that we use it for) is the layout and the $5000 price tag. If we change the same program they've used for the past ten years we'd be out of work for a few weeks. Truly. I had to show one of them how to use a flash drive.
March 4, 2013 2:24:50 PM

flossbandit said:
AutoCAD. It's electrical engineering. We don't do 3D design. Boss man's got 2013 and the only thing that's different (that we use it for) is the layout and the $5000 price tag. If we change the same program they've used for the past ten years we'd be out of work for a few weeks. Truly. I had to show one of them how to use a flash drive.

Did you ever get your older verions of cad to run on your 64-bit machines? And if so how were you able to do it? Thanks
!