StarForce: Does It Affect Your System Performance?

I just bought a game from bargain bin: "SHADE Wrath Of Angels", from an
obscure developer and publisher (Cenega?).
The game is so-so, the graphic is fantastic, but gameplay is a bit
TombRaiderish.
What I concern is it uses StarForce(copy protection scheme), which
installed some hidden drivers in my pc which I found in device driver
setting.
I wonder if these driver could impact on my overall system performance?
So far I did not feel anything performance-wise yet.
I would like to have your opinion on this matter if you have had some
negative or positive experiments with StarForce in the past.
Thanks and Regards,
SteamMadman.
14 answers Last reply
More about starforce affect system performance

    I am sorry, I should have read another similar thread by another poster
    (Copy protection information) before posting this.
    Sorry if it looks like double-postings.
    Regards,

    DumbestManOnUSENET wrote:

    > I just bought a game from bargain bin: "SHADE Wrath Of Angels", from an
    > obscure developer and publisher (Cenega?).
    > The game is so-so, the graphic is fantastic, but gameplay is a bit
    > TombRaiderish.
    > What I concern is it uses StarForce(copy protection scheme), which
    > installed some hidden drivers in my pc which I found in device driver
    > setting.
    > I wonder if these driver could impact on my overall system performance?
    > So far I did not feel anything performance-wise yet.
    > I would like to have your opinion on this matter if you have had some
    > negative or positive experiments with StarForce in the past.
    > Thanks and Regards,
    > SteamMadman.

    please change your usenet alias cause no one will take seriously
    someone calling himself "dumbest"

    and btw questioning starforce is a very cleaver thing to do

    as for your question, i fortunately only own 2 pc games with starforce
    and i got them cause at the time i didn't know they had it... as for my
    experience with it i can call it at least negative and although at the
    time i didn't know what i was doing i remember that it had some impact
    on my machine performance and i didn't understand why it happen
    nevertheless i decided for now on i will not buy pc games with starforce
    in it

    starforce damages pc games, so we must fight it to defend pc games

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, DumbestManOnUSENET wrote:

    at this point in time there is no such thing as too much posts about
    anti-starforce or anti-steam or anti-piracy cause they all are matters
    very important to us
    we should all flood this group with messages to support and defend the
    pc as the best gaming platform
    its never too much to say over and over again:
    starforce is wrong and bad for pc games, so fight it!
    steam is wrong and bad for pc games, so fight it!
    piracy is wrong and bad for pc games, so fight it!

    "sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > please change your usenet alias cause no one will take seriously
    > someone calling himself "dumbest"

    That's rich!. sayNO telling someone else how to post on usenet.....

    LOL

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:51:32 -0500, "slartibartfast"
    <building@fjords.com> wrote:

    >That's rich!. sayNO telling someone else how to post on usenet.....

    Well he is a very accomplished troll, few can match the amount of

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:19:28 +1100, DumbestManOnUSENET
    <DumbestMan@doesnotexist.com> wrote:

    >I just bought a game from bargain bin: "SHADE Wrath Of Angels", from an
    >obscure developer and publisher (Cenega?).

    >The game is so-so, the graphic is fantastic, but gameplay is a bit
    >TombRaiderish.

    >What I concern is it uses StarForce(copy protection scheme), which
    >installed some hidden drivers in my pc which I found in device driver
    >setting.

    >I wonder if these driver could impact on my overall system performance?
    >So far I did not feel anything performance-wise yet.
    >I would like to have your opinion on this matter if you have had some
    >negative or positive experiments with StarForce in the past.

    I haven't noticed any difference in performance due to Starforce
    protection drivers. However, this is all based on personal
    observations and not some strict regimine of benchmarking tests.

    Non-Starforced games seem to run at the same speed before and after I
    install other game that use Starforce drivers. Nor do I get any sort
    of performance boost after using the Starforce removal tool (of
    course, I have to take it on faith that the tool actually removes the
    drivers).

    I haven't tested the performance of Starforce games to see if they run
    better with a crack that disables/removes the Starforce drivers, but I
    don't think -beyond removing the long cd-check when the game loads-
    there would be significant improvement.

    Obviously every piece of additional software running causes *some* hit
    on overall system performance, but in Starforce's case -at least in my
    experience- it is in no way noticable.

    Fortunately, there are other things to dislike about Starforce :)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    > Fortunately, there are other things to dislike about Starforce :)

    such as?

    my position against starforce is not the same as steam
    steam NO
    steam only over my dead body
    i will never ever install steam on my pc
    as for starforce i already have 2 games with it, i'm not sorry i've
    bought them, i will not sell and i want to keep them
    also i can't say for sure i will never buy a starforce protected game
    even if i know about it before...

    i feel sad when i know a pc game has starforce but if i like the game
    i'll probably end up buying it
    never the less what we must say to publisher is we will not buy it
    i believe we must make it clear to publishers we don't want starforce
    in pc games
    starforce in pc games does damage and we have already enough problems
    to deal with, so please keep it away from us

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:18:15 +0000, sayNO2steam
    <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    >
    >> Fortunately, there are other things to dislike about Starforce :)
    >
    >such as?
    >
    >my position against starforce is not the same as steam

    Really?

    >steam NO
    >steam only over my dead body
    >i will never ever install steam on my pc
    >as for starforce

    Yes, let's see what you've said about starforce.

    >NO STARFORCE!
    >NONE AT ALL!
    >no you can't fix it!
    >no we don't want them to fix it!
    >WE WANT IT OUT!
    >WE WANT STARFORCE COMPLETELY OUT OF PC GAMES!
    >WE DON'T WANT STARFORCE PERIOD!

    I fail to see the difference.

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:
    >
    > > I fail to see the difference.
    >
    > ok, you are slow as usual, so let me give you an easy to follow
    > example...
    >
    > pick an excellent pc game, made for the pc and optimized for the
    > pc and a type i like for example half-life 2
    > i repeatedly said i haven't bought it and i will never ever buy
    > it even knowing its a type of game i was anxiously wanting for
    > the fact of me refusing to buy half-life 2 has only to do with
    > steam, yes the price is high but it's only steam which makes me
    > refuse buying it
    > now take off steam from half-life 2 and put it instead starforce
    > if half-life 2 would have starforce you would also see me saying
    > bad things about valve but i would buy half-life 2 and never do
    > the fight i'm carrying against valve, and i would not criticise
    > no pc gamer that have bought half-life 2
    > now do you get the difference?
    >
    > half-life 2 with steam: NEVER EVER!
    > half-life 2 with starforce: VERY WRONG but i would end up making
    > that sacrifice to play it, although i would complain heavily

    What a coincidence! My views are very similar -
    half-life 2 with starforce: NEVER EVER! (I don't want it blocking Nero
    or any other software I have installed)
    half-life 2 with steam: VERY WRONG but i would end up making
    that sacrifice to play it, although i would complain heavily

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:

    > I fail to see the difference.

    ok, you are slow as usual, so let me give you an easy to follow
    example...

    pick an excellent pc game, made for the pc and optimized for the
    pc and a type i like for example half-life 2
    i repeatedly said i haven't bought it and i will never ever buy
    it even knowing its a type of game i was anxiously wanting for
    the fact of me refusing to buy half-life 2 has only to do with
    steam, yes the price is high but it's only steam which makes me
    refuse buying it
    now take off steam from half-life 2 and put it instead starforce
    if half-life 2 would have starforce you would also see me saying
    bad things about valve but i would buy half-life 2 and never do
    the fight i'm carrying against valve, and i would not criticise
    no pc gamer that have bought half-life 2
    now do you get the difference?

    half-life 2 with steam: NEVER EVER!
    half-life 2 with starforce: VERY WRONG but i would end up making
    that sacrifice to play it, although i would complain heavily

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:03:04 +0000, sayNO2steam
    <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:
    >
    >> I fail to see the difference.
    >
    >ok, you are slow as usual, so let me give you an easy to follow
    >example...

    >steam NO
    >NO STARFORCE!

    >i will never ever install steam on my pc
    >WE DON'T WANT STARFORCE PERIOD!

    >steam only over my dead body
    >WE WANT STARFORCE COMPLETELY OUT OF PC GAMES!

    I rest my case.

    "Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:03:04 +0000, sayNO2steam
    > <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:
    > >
    > >> I fail to see the difference.
    > >
    > >ok, you are slow as usual, so let me give you an easy to follow
    > >example...
    >
    > >steam NO
    > >NO STARFORCE!
    >
    > >i will never ever install steam on my pc
    > >WE DON'T WANT STARFORCE PERIOD!
    >
    > >steam only over my dead body
    > >WE WANT STARFORCE COMPLETELY OUT OF PC GAMES!
    >
    > I rest my case.

    Johnny, are you an attorney?
    Cause you are good.

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:19:32 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

    >Johnny, are you an attorney?
    >Cause you are good.

    I just watch a lot of Law and Order. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

    sayNO2piracy <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

    > please change your usenet alias cause no one will take seriously
    > someone calling himself "dumbest"

    We don't take you seriously either.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

PC gaming Performance Games Video Games