How do I add a different Dynamic DNS service provider?

Tallonator

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I have DNS setup through No-IP.com. How do I add this service provider to my WNDR3400v2 router? It only has DynDNS.org listed and I can't create a free account there. Anyone know how to do this?

They only support *one* DDNS provider?! LOL, amazing. And DynDNS hasn't even been providing free accounts for quite some time. You could setup a free trial (14 days) at DynDNS. If you cancel before the 14 days, they won't charge you, but you'll be allowed to keep one free hostname. You might also try updating the router's firmware. Netgear may have added other DDNS providers since your current firmware was released. Otherwise, the only other alternative would be dd-wrt (third party firmware). dd-wrt supports many DDNS providers. Check their database to see if your router is supported.

Ian Chisholm

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I tricked my new Netgear R6300 using Chrome's dev tools to edit the form to the dynamic dns service of my choice, then applied the changes & it worked. This doesn't change the pre-loaded setting in the router and I've no idea what will happen when current the ip lease is up (will most likely revert to DynDNS & fail) - but in the short term I'm back up & running.

Jim Benton

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for this suggestion, it worked for me as well on my Netgear R6300 although as you say may only work as short term solution. Seems very dumb that Netgear is trying to force you to use one dns provider. Other than that it's a great router.

default_user8

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Either of you care to expand on how you "tricked your router"? I'd like to see if I can "trick" my router too. Unfortunately my netgear router isn't supported by DD-WRT, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help.

pcguru34

Reputable
May 12, 2014

Ian, I see in the Google Development tools where the value is for the Dynamic DNS for my Netgear Router however I have a question or two if you wouldn't mind answering them. Thanks in advance.

1) Did this work "in the long run" for you or did you have to constantly update it?
2) Do I have to change both the "Service Provider" value as well as the "Host Name" to make this work?

Thanks again.

renzomd

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Can somebody walk me through this for my Netgear WNDR3400v1 please? I am no dummy but I have to admit that I am lost here.

I want to use no-ip, but dyndns is the only one showing.

Freetz

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
- enable telnet
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
- telnet to the dgnd3700v2
- Mount root partition rw to allow changes
mount mtd:rootfs / -o remount,rw
- cd /www
- Copy the original dynamicdns html file if you need to revert changes
cp DNS_ddns.htm DNS_ddns.orig
- Edit the dynamicdns html file with vi editor
vi DNS_ddns.htm
- find the line with <select name="sysDNSProviderlist" size="1"><option value="www.DynDNS.org">www.DynDNS.org </option></select>
- each <option> will be a dns provider option in the dropdown menu.
change the existing <option> or add new between the two select
for example <option value="dynupdate.noip.com">dynupdate.noip.com </option>
- save the edited file, as you know with vi editor command is :wq
- reboot to have root partition ro again and telnet disabled.

Newmattie

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have a WNDR3700 V1, and when I issue the mount command as suggested, I get the following:
mount: mtd: unknown host

I'm now at a loss. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

victorix

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Since the thread is already resurrected, I might as well go ahead and ask:

I have a Netgear CG3700EMR-1CMNDS and the only available option is DynDNS..... Is there a similar way as to get around this problem so that i can use dnsdymanic.org instead? It worked fine before i switched to the new router.....!

Steven1973

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hey there! I've been having the same problem with the predefined DynDNS providers in my router interface and I think the only proper workaround is to install custom firmware on your router, which allows you to define any dynDNS provider that you like.

DD-WRT is an open source project that has a custom firmware for most linux based routers. However of course you should know what you are doing when flashing your router's firmware.

For a free dynamic DNS provider I can recommand www.desec.io

They support IPv4 and IPv6 and automatically retrieve both IP adresses (tested with Synology NAS).

Marcio7000

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Hello Freetz,

I tried to follow the steps that you have indicated to change DNS_ddns.htm file from my route (r6300) but not able to edit anything so far. I guess the problem is because I'm not able to mount it. When I tired it I get "mount: /dev/root is write-protected, mounting read-only". So would you know a way to make it work?

Thanks in advance,
Marcio.