Sign in with
Your question

How do I add a different Dynamic DNS service provider?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Routers
  • DNS
  • IP
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 22, 2012 12:37:45 AM

I have DNS setup through No-IP.com. How do I add this service provider to my WNDR3400v2 router? It only has DynDNS.org listed and I can't create a free account there. Anyone know how to do this?

More about : add dynamic dns service provider

July 22, 2012 1:34:25 AM

They only support *one* DDNS provider?! LOL, amazing. And DynDNS hasn't even been providing free accounts for quite some time. You could setup a free trial (14 days) at DynDNS. If you cancel before the 14 days, they won't charge you, but you'll be allowed to keep one free hostname. You might also try updating the router's firmware. Netgear may have added other DDNS providers since your current firmware was released. Otherwise, the only other alternative would be dd-wrt (third party firmware). dd-wrt supports many DDNS providers. Check their database to see if your router is supported.
m
l
July 4, 2013 1:12:43 PM

I tricked my new Netgear R6300 using Chrome's dev tools to edit the form to the dynamic dns service of my choice, then applied the changes & it worked. This doesn't change the pre-loaded setting in the router and I've no idea what will happen when current the ip lease is up (will most likely revert to DynDNS & fail) - but in the short term I'm back up & running.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2013 10:00:28 AM

Thanks for this suggestion, it worked for me as well on my Netgear R6300 although as you say may only work as short term solution. Seems very dumb that Netgear is trying to force you to use one dns provider. Other than that it's a great router.

Ian Chisholm said:
I tricked my new Netgear R6300 using Chrome's dev tools to edit the form to the dynamic dns service of my choice, then applied the changes & it worked. This doesn't change the pre-loaded setting in the router and I've no idea what will happen when current the ip lease is up (will most likely revert to DynDNS & fail) - but in the short term I'm back up & running.

m
l
August 21, 2013 8:12:54 PM

Either of you care to expand on how you "tricked your router"? I'd like to see if I can "trick" my router too. Unfortunately my netgear router isn't supported by DD-WRT, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help.
Ian Chisholm said:

m
l
May 12, 2014 3:05:29 PM

Ian Chisholm said:

Ian, I see in the Google Development tools where the value is for the Dynamic DNS for my Netgear Router however I have a question or two if you wouldn't mind answering them. Thanks in advance.

1) Did this work "in the long run" for you or did you have to constantly update it?
2) Do I have to change both the "Service Provider" value as well as the "Host Name" to make this work?

Thanks again.
m
l
June 15, 2014 9:53:51 PM

New Firmware Version 1.0.3.2_1.0.57
Release Notes:
1. [New feature & Enhancement] Added No-IP DDNS support.
m
l
July 6, 2014 2:21:27 PM

Can somebody walk me through this for my Netgear WNDR3400v1 please? I am no dummy but I have to admit that I am lost here.

I want to use no-ip, but dyndns is the only one showing.
m
l
July 16, 2014 10:13:18 AM

- enable telnet
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
- telnet to the dgnd3700v2
- Mount root partition rw to allow changes
mount mtd:rootfs / -o remount,rw
- cd /www
- Copy the original dynamicdns html file if you need to revert changes
cp DNS_ddns.htm DNS_ddns.orig
- Edit the dynamicdns html file with vi editor
vi DNS_ddns.htm
- find the line with <select name="sysDNSProviderlist" size="1"><option value="www.DynDNS.org">www.DynDNS.org </option></select>
- each <option> will be a dns provider option in the dropdown menu.
change the existing <option> or add new between the two select
for example <option value="dynupdate.noip.com">dynupdate.noip.com </option>
- save the edited file, as you know with vi editor command is :wq
- reboot to have root partition ro again and telnet disabled.
m
l
!