I am attempting to play a CD over a movie theater sound sy..

Last response: in Home Audio
August 16, 2004 5:26:58 AM

I have a DVD player with a 6 foot optical audio cable. I have
connected it to the optical outlet on a Dolby DMA8 Digital Media
Adapter. I then use another cord (a 21-pin one I think) from the
6-channel audio output to the 6-channel audio input on a Dolby CP650
Cinema Processor. However, I am completely unable to get anything to
play. I know that the DVD player WILL play over the speakers in
analog stereo (2-channel), but I would like to listen to CD's and
DVD's in surround sound.

Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:36:30 PM

Matt K. <paktu@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>I have a DVD player with a 6 foot optical audio cable. I have
>connected it to the optical outlet on a Dolby DMA8 Digital Media
>Adapter. I then use another cord (a 21-pin one I think) from the
>6-channel audio output to the 6-channel audio input on a Dolby CP650
>Cinema Processor. However, I am completely unable to get anything to
>play. I know that the DVD player WILL play over the speakers in
>analog stereo (2-channel), but I would like to listen to CD's and
>DVD's in surround sound.

The CP650 has a mode that will let you see what is coming in on the
DMA8 so you can at least diagnose the problem.

Your first worry is to decide whether you want to be taking in
raw 2-track data from a CD and running it through a matrix, or
whether you want to be taking DD-encoded data from a DVD and
running it through a DD decoder. The CP-650 should allow you to
do either but you have to have it set for the appropriate source.
--scott
August 16, 2004 9:10:11 PM

>Subject: I am attempting to play a CD over a movie theater sound system.
>Help!
>From: paktu@mn.rr.com (Matt K.)
>Date: 8/16/04 4:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>I have a DVD player with a 6 foot optical audio cable. I have
>connected it to the optical outlet on a Dolby DMA8 Digital Media
>Adapter. I then use another cord (a 21-pin one I think) from the
>6-channel audio output to the 6-channel audio input on a Dolby CP650
>Cinema Processor. However, I am completely unable to get anything to
>play. I know that the DVD player WILL play over the speakers in
>analog stereo (2-channel), but I would like to listen to CD's and
>DVD's in surround sound.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.dolby.com/products/CP650/mp_sp_0403_CP650.pd...
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:51:28 PM

On 16 Aug 2004 01:26:58 -0700, paktu@mn.rr.com (Matt K.) wrote:

>I have a DVD player with a 6 foot optical audio cable. I have
>connected it to the optical outlet on a Dolby DMA8 Digital Media
>Adapter. I then use another cord (a 21-pin one I think) from the
>6-channel audio output to the 6-channel audio input on a Dolby CP650
>Cinema Processor. However, I am completely unable to get anything to
>play. I know that the DVD player WILL play over the speakers in
>analog stereo (2-channel), but I would like to listen to CD's and
>DVD's in surround sound.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

Many DVD players can only play two channel or multi channel,
but not both at the same time. Sounds crazy, I know.
Check the manual first.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 1:49:29 AM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<cfqrau$dmg$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> Matt K. <paktu@mn.rr.com> wrote:
> >I have a DVD player with a 6 foot optical audio cable. I have
> >connected it to the optical outlet on a Dolby DMA8 Digital Media
> >Adapter. I then use another cord (a 21-pin one I think) from the
> >6-channel audio output to the 6-channel audio input on a Dolby CP650
> >Cinema Processor. However, I am completely unable to get anything to
> >play. I know that the DVD player WILL play over the speakers in
> >analog stereo (2-channel), but I would like to listen to CD's and
> >DVD's in surround sound.
>
> The CP650 has a mode that will let you see what is coming in on the
> DMA8 so you can at least diagnose the problem.
>
> Your first worry is to decide whether you want to be taking in
> raw 2-track data from a CD and running it through a matrix, or
> whether you want to be taking DD-encoded data from a DVD and
> running it through a DD decoder. The CP-650 should allow you to
> do either but you have to have it set for the appropriate source.
> --scott

Do you know how I get to that "diagnosis mode" on the CP650...the
manual that came with it is a little cryptic.

Also, I've tried running the DMA8 in both digital media and film (just
for kicks) as well as trying all 8 different source selections on the
CP650...mono, surround EX, nonsync, etc.

That comment about the DVD player only working in two OR six channel
sound is interesting, since I can only get two channel sources to work
when using the DVD player (nonsync and prologic), even though film
plays in 6 channels just fine.
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 1:06:09 PM

Matt K. <paktu@mn.rr.com> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<cfqrau$dmg$1@panix2.panix.com>...
>>
>> The CP650 has a mode that will let you see what is coming in on the
>> DMA8 so you can at least diagnose the problem.
>>
>> Your first worry is to decide whether you want to be taking in
>> raw 2-track data from a CD and running it through a matrix, or
>> whether you want to be taking DD-encoded data from a DVD and
>> running it through a DD decoder. The CP-650 should allow you to
>> do either but you have to have it set for the appropriate source.
>
>Do you know how I get to that "diagnosis mode" on the CP650...the
>manual that came with it is a little cryptic.

Go to www.film-tech.com and get the full service manuals for the CP650.
You might also want to ask on the sound forum there. film-tech.com
is really one of the great sources for presentation stuff. Steve Kraus
hangs out there and he is one of the gurus for those boxes.

>Also, I've tried running the DMA8 in both digital media and film (just
>for kicks) as well as trying all 8 different source selections on the
>CP650...mono, surround EX, nonsync, etc.

I think on the CP650, you have to define a different mode for the new
source. (On older decoders, you used to do this by cutting diodes on
a matrix board... on the new ones you go through millions of goddamn menus).

>That comment about the DVD player only working in two OR six channel
>sound is interesting, since I can only get two channel sources to work
>when using the DVD player (nonsync and prologic), even though film
>plays in 6 channels just fine.

But you CAN get two-channel sources to work through the digital input?
--scott