your first games?

just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others
who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
played what and when.
I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander Keen
then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each player
took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
height and velocity.

ok who's next?

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
others
> who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
> played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
Keen
> then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
> monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
> was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each
player
> took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
> height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?
>
> --
>

> You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

My first computer games were played on the Atari 800 - loaded via CASSETTE
TAPE drives. Zaxxon, Telengard, pitstop are the ones I can remember ATM.
then the PCjr - Wizardry and Ultima II (then published by Sierra Online),
and of course that text adventures such as Adventure, Zork, Enchanter, and
one of my all time favorites - Zyll.

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
> there are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning
> and others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting
> to hear who played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my
> first games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game
> where each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other
> first deciding on height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

I don't remember the particular games but they were on a Commodore-64.
Of the earliest ones I remember standing out in my memory were the
Predator games, The Bard's Tale, Zork, and Kung Fu Master.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
>are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others
>who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
>played what and when.
>I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander Keen
>then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
>monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
>was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each player
>took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
>height and velocity.
>
>ok who's next?

That would have been an Ascii graphics Star Trek game on the Commodore
PET in 1980, while I was in highschool.
Don't ask me what it's actual name was though.

Xocyll

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
> others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to
> hear who played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first
> games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where
> each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first
> deciding on height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

Tunnels of Doom for the TI99/4A. Actually had primitive 3D graphics way
back then in the early '80s. I remember waiting about a half hour while the
cassette tapes loaded it up. Here's a webiste dedicated to it
http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edburns00/classic-gaming/tunnels/

turk
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:36:35 -0000, Stoned Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
: just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
: are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others

The 1st generation Odyssey game with these plugin doohickey circuit
cards and for non-pong, plastic overlays that clinged on the TV for
non-pong games. If Odyssey is too consoley then my first real
computer game was the one where you had to do something with the leds
on an IMSAI 8080's front panel via the switches.

As far as fun games, lots of things from circa-70s Creative Computing.
And terrific Atari 800/400 trekkish-sort-of-space-sim. Times are
*lots* better now though.

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
others
> who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
> played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
Keen
> then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
> monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
> was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each
player
> took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
> height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

1982, TRS-80 (Black/White screen), it was a Dungeons and Dargons type game
(can't ever recall the name of it) on a cassette. It took 10mins to load.

ps Check out this site. You can browse computers by Name, Company, or
Year.
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=18

Jab

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
> there are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning
> and others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting
> to hear who played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my
> first games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game
> where each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other
> first deciding on height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

Here's mine ...

http://www.geocities.com/s_h_3/pong/binatone.htm

schrodinger

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
> others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to
> hear who played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first
> games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where
> each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first
> deciding on height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?
>
> --
>

> You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

I seem to remember something involving a stick figure on the Commodore Pet
being the first game played on a personal computer, followed by typed in
stuff on the ZX81. Before that I played a missile firing thing on a
teletype machine attached to the Manchester University mainframe (where you
guess the angle to get your opponent with an arrow or whatever).

OldDog wrote:
> "Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
>> there are a few people in here who have been around since the
>> beginning and others who are just starting out, I thought it would
>> be interesting to hear who played what and when.
>> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original
>> Commander Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286
>> with black and white monitor I still had great fun with all of them.
>> Another of my first games was an old dos game called gorillas it was
>> a 2 player game where each player took a turn to throw explosive
>> bananas at each other first deciding on height and velocity.
>>
>> ok who's next?
>>

> 1982, TRS-80 (Black/White screen), it was a Dungeons and Dargons type
> game (can't ever recall the name of it) on a cassette. It took
> 10mins to load.
>
> ps Check out this site. You can browse computers by Name, Company,
> or Year.
> http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=18

cheers that is perfect I'm got a mojor report on computer games due in a
couple of weeks that site will be a great help.

PS
If I use quotes from anyone on this group I will ask for permission first

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

i know its a pc newsgroup but i generally dont visit any of the console
groups so I posted it here

shawk

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
> there are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning
> and others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting
> to hear who played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my
> first games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game
> where each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other
> first deciding on height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

Had a few consoles like everyone but the first PC I owned was a late
eighties IBM PS2 tower (type 60). Bought it from work when they closed
a site. Had 1MB memory and a massive 50MB hard-drive. First games were
Capture the Flag (Dos) which I was addicted to and World Empire II
Deluxe (basically a Windows version of Risk). Wife said then that I'd
get addicted to 'those bloody games'. She was right as usual.

As an aside it was only last year when the keyboard gave up the ghost -
had it 15yrs and it was a bloody good one.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

shawk

Shawk wrote:
> Stoned Monkey wrote:
>
>> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
>> there are a few people in here who have been around since the
>> beginning and others who are just starting out, I thought it would be
>> interesting to hear who played what and when.
>> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
>> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black
>> and white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of
>> my first games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player
>> game where each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each
>> other first deciding on height and velocity.
>>
>> ok who's next?
>>

> Had a few consoles like everyone but the first PC I owned was a late
> eighties IBM PS2 tower (type 60). Bought it from work when they closed
> a site. Had 1MB memory and a massive 50MB hard-drive. First games were
> Capture the Flag (Dos) which I was addicted to and World Empire II
> Deluxe (basically a Windows version of Risk). Wife said then that I'd
> get addicted to 'those bloody games'. She was right as usual.
>
> As an aside it was only last year when the keyboard gave up the ghost -
> had it 15yrs and it was a bloody good one.

Lol - got me thinking so I just rummaged through the old floppies and
found Capture the Flag. Can't believe it never got tossed out. Even
more suprising is that I just installed it and it works fine with XP
Pro! Now the quandary - do I play it and risk ruining good memories of
it or worse - get addicted all over again :)

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?

jk

I have just spent the last 15 minutes reading through this thread. As a
relative old timer I gotta say that this is one of the best reads that I
have ever enjoyed in this newsgroup. Carry on with the great memories guys!

JK

"turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
>> there are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning
>> and others who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting
>> to hear who played what and when.
>> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
>> Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and
>> white monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first
>> games was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where
>> each player took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first
>> deciding on height and velocity.
>>
>> ok who's next?
>
> Tunnels of Doom for the TI99/4A. Actually had primitive 3D graphics way
> back then in the early '80s. I remember waiting about a half hour while
> the cassette tapes loaded it up. Here's a webiste dedicated to it
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edburns00/classic-gaming/tunnels/
>
> turk
> --
> "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
> the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great
> and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
> desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright
> moron." - H. L. Mencken, in the Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

I think is was a Sierra game. Something Quest:Trial by fire. It was the 2nd
in that particular series.1989 or thereabouts. On a 286-12mhz PC.The gane
was only 4-5mb!!

Shawk wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>> Stoned Monkey wrote:
>>
>>> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
>>> there are a few people in here who have been around since the
>>> beginning and others who are just starting out, I thought it would
>>> be interesting to hear who played what and when.
>>> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original
>>> Commander Keen then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286
>>> with black and white monitor I still had great fun with all of
>>> them. Another of my first games was an old dos game called gorillas
>>> it was a 2 player game where each player took a turn to throw
>>> explosive bananas at each other first deciding on height and
>>> velocity. ok who's next?
>>>

>> Had a few consoles like everyone but the first PC I owned was a late
>> eighties IBM PS2 tower (type 60). Bought it from work when they
>> closed a site. Had 1MB memory and a massive 50MB hard-drive. First
>> games were Capture the Flag (Dos) which I was addicted to and World
>> Empire II Deluxe (basically a Windows version of Risk). Wife said
>> then that I'd get addicted to 'those bloody games'. She was right
>> as usual. As an aside it was only last year when the keyboard gave up the
>> ghost - had it 15yrs and it was a bloody good one.
>>

> Lol - got me thinking so I just rummaged through the old floppies and
> found Capture the Flag. Can't believe it never got tossed out. Even
> more suprising is that I just installed it and it works fine with XP
> Pro! Now the quandary - do I play it and risk ruining good memories
> of it or worse - get addicted all over again :)

give in to the temptations it'll be just as good, I replayed keen a few
weeks ago, just as much fun

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:36:35 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
>are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others
>who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
>played what and when.
>I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander Keen
>then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
>monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
>was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each player
>took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
>height and velocity.
>
>ok who's next?

My first home computer game experience was on a UK-101 1k system that my
grandad had kit-built back before the ZX-80 (1978 I think) :) It had
some simple copies of arcade games of the time like pong, space
invaders, and x-wing.

I briefly had a ZX-80 on loan in 1981...can't remember what I played on
it, probably Lunar Lander...and I had a friend who had a Dragon computer
which we played a 2-player game called Wizards on.

Then my parents bought me a Commodore 64 for Christmas, 1982, with one
game, Lazarian on cartridge. I ended up with over 400 games for the C64
and it's still sitting in my garage :)

In late 1985 I got hold of an Atari 520 ST (fave game, Arkanoid), and in
1987 upgraded to the Atari 1040 STFM and many peripherals (also still
sitting in my garage).

I didn't get my first PC until 1987, a kit-build of my own, about the
time Windows 2 came out although I was still only using DOS then (we had
8086s and a few 286s at work but no games). Can't remember the spec,
probably a 386 16MHz, but I remember the game that I got hooked on was
called Sopwith, a 2D sideways scroller...plus many, many text adventure
games...and my first modem.

I remember Gorillas, it was actually written in QBasic if memory serves.

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure
there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
others
> who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear
who
> played what and when.

Pong and a tank game on an Atari system my grand-dad's next door
neighbours had. The tank game was great. As you progressed up the
levels, the walls became invisible, and then the tanks, so you were
basically staring at a blank screen. The tension was unbearable!

First computer game was a 3d maze game on the ZX81. Another friend's
machine. Also a text adventure game.

Our first computer was a Spectrum. The original one with the rubber
keys. I think it had 16k? Gamewise, I think Horace Goes Skiing came
bundled with it. I still remember my mother watching the screen,
deciding which way to go, then looking down at the keyboard and trying
to find the right key to press. If not that, then a text adventure game
where you had to escape from an island on which you had parachuted to
safety from your crashing plane. Bloody hard that - never did get
anywhere.

OK, modern PC next. My dad got a PC and I gave him Colonization for
Christmas. I think I played it first and for longer than him.

First game I bought was probably Civ2.

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
> are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and
others
> who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
> played what and when.
> I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander
Keen
> then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
> monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
> was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each
player
> took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
> height and velocity.
>
> ok who's next?

Castle Wolfenstine, the first one (back on the old Apple II). Wizardry
(probably I through V or so). Also some games where the screen described
the scene and you typed in what to so like:

game> Suddenly a small dwarf appears before you with a menacing grin.

you> kill dwarf

game> Wow. After long struggle you kill dwarf with your bare hands. You find
a magic stone.

etc.

No graphics, but good for hours of entertainment.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 06:05:12 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>I remember the tank game. Was it called 'Armor Battle'? Try these links.

Must have been it as I see that's the only tank game they have listed.
2D top down view, hide behind buildings and trees, was fun in 2 player
mode.

>"Intellivision, the first 16-bit videogame system, was introduced in 1980.
>With realistic graphics and challenging games, Intellivision quickly earned
>millions of loyal fans."

1980? For some reason I thought I was playing it in 1979. Guess not.

"Stoned Monkey" wrote in message news:d124ok$6i4$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games
> ok who's next?

Galaxian for the Commodore Vic 20. I was 4 years old. Damn my brother for
getting me addicted to video games.

I've recently been playing the 2nd oldest computer game, Spacewar! (1962).
You can play it here:
http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa090198.htm

The first video game ever was Tennis for Two (1958), but I can't find an
emulator for it.

> Yep, I too remember playing Lunar Lander. It was on the mainframe at the
> University of Western Ontario in 1971. When the kids were young we also
> had various Atari and Sega consoles hooked up to the TV. But my first PC
> game was Leisure Suit Larry which I played on my first PC in 1988, a 4 mhz
> barnburner with 640k of memory and a 12 inch amber monitor. Actually this
> pc ran normally at 2 mhz, but there was a switch at the back to boost the
> speed to 4 mhz. But you had to watch it because some programs would not
> run reliably at that fast a speed. My obsession with the PC had begun!

Small world. I lived in Byron in 1971 and my Dad worked at U.W.O. !

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:36:35 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
>are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others
>who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
>played what and when.
>I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander Keen
>then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
>monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
>was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each player
>took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
>height and velocity.
>
>ok who's next?

I'd typed in games with my old Sinclair ZX81 and tried a few on my
atari 8 bit, but the first one I played enough to remember was Sundog
on the AtariST. It was all about flying from planet to planet
collecting cryogenic colonists and delivering them while avoiding
pirates and hauling freight to make money. It was the first game in
finished and the only one for a LONG time. I'd love to see a remake
with modern technology.
Dungeon Master was the 2nd. Also very good for it's time.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
He fears the truth!

"Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> just thought I'd ask what were peoples first computer games I'm sure there
>are a few people in here who have been around since the beginning and others
>who are just starting out, I thought it would be interesting to hear who
>played what and when.
>I'll start, one of the first games I played was the original Commander Keen
>then moving on to the sequels, had it on an old 286 with black and white
>monitor I still had great fun with all of them. Another of my first games
>was an old dos game called gorillas it was a 2 player game where each player
>took a turn to throw explosive bananas at each other first deciding on
>height and velocity.
>
>ok who's next?

First on Amiga - The Black Lantern, Shadow of the Beast, Barbarian,
Silkworm, that one that starts out top down with you as an army dude
running through paths in a jungle with flares lighting everything up,
Blood Money, Rick Dangerous, Alien Syndrome, The Bard's Tale, Battle
Chess, California Games, Robocop 3, Technocop, Chase HQ, Dragon's Lair,
Speedball, Street Rod 2, Summer Games, Test Drive.

Then on NES - Battletoads, Defender of the Crown, Lunar Pool, Faxanadu,
Battle of Olympus, Snake Rattle and Roll, Bionic Commando, others.

Also on a friend's something (C64?) - Hero Quest, Spy vs Spy, Jack the
Nipper, The Last Ninja.

Then on PC - Stargoose, Shooting Gallery, Bananoid, Stunts (4D Sports
Driving), etc.

Arcade - Gauntlet, Ghouls N Ghosts.

That's all I can remember atm.