LCD's - 8ms response time

Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
to buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:23 -0500, Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
>to buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?

Depends on the model. Similarly, some models forsake color depth for
speed. For example, make sure they LCD does the level of color you
desire (e.g., 32bit, 24bit, 16bit, whatever). Many, if not most, low
response time LCD panels sacrifice color depth (they often claim 18bit
color). It is sometimes hard to learn this, since they claim to use
fancy algorithms to make it less noticeable, and therefore claim a
higher depth than actually supported.

Years ago the video card world used to argue over 16bit vs 24bit v2
32bit color, and the public (and reviewers) decided they COULD see a
difference, and they wanted 32bit. This is one (of many) things that
killed 3Dfx and the Voodoo line (3Dfx claimed you didn't need higher
than 16bit, and did not support it is most, if not al,l cards, IIRC).

So, I gotta say I am confused when people are buying $500 video cards
that support 32bit color, and then attach an LCD panel that only does
16bit. Read the reviews from reputable sources; when it comes to color
depth, you CAN tell a difference. Is it enough to matter? I dunno.

2 URLs about color:
http://www.cheap-lcd-monitor.com/reviews/dell-2001FP-review.htm and
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918&p=5 and
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/lcd-06.html#18_and_24bit_color_interpolations

Last, average response time URL
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/lcd-06.html#18_and_24bit_color_interpolations

Some of these URLs are getting dated, but the general information is
valid. So, while they may refer to older LCDs, the concepts of
ghosting, and how vendors skew their numbers, and the concept of color
dithering, are still VERY valid.

In the end, either test out an LCD before you buy it, or find a place
with a good return policy if you don't like it.

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

wrote:

>Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
>to buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?

A good 16ms one will elimate ghosting. But i think 12 was the perfect
spot. So if an 8ms one has the same features as a 12ms one but costs
more, don't spend the extra money.

I personally believe the samsung 710N and 710T were when LCD monitors
first completely eliminated ghosting for me, got down to at least a
resonable price, and had great color quality.

I'd rather see them improving the color/contrast on their 12ms panels
then go on the constant quest for faster response time.

Kevin

In article <7qda31966v616q1rrnpnug9bd8fnandfcj@4ax.com>,
BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:43:28 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Thus spake Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>, Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:23
> >-0500, Anno Domini:
> >
> >>Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
> >>to buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?
>

> No very Bad, Colors as its only a 8 bit interface they use Dithering to get
> the other colors, even 16ms one do that..

What exactly are you trying to say?

Rocky

"Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
> to buy?

According to this, yeh it is

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net |

__

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Rocky" <Rocky@GhostRecon.net> wrote in message

> "Jennifer Hayes" <jhayes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
>> to buy?
>
> According to this, yeh it is
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html
>

> --
> Rocky
> www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net |
> www.jointopscentral.com
>
> __

Using a 17" LG L1720B here (quoted 16ms response time) haven't noticed any
ghosting (HL2, Doom3, DVD's etc.) yet.

BillL

Jennifer Hayes wrote:
> Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time
> to buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?

I've a VideoSeven L17PS that I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004
on; the color quality's as good as I've ever seen, and no trace of
ghosting. So I'd say yes, it's time to buy.

--
"Always look on the bright side of life."
To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

nostromo

Thus spake Tina Brown <tina@yahoo.com>, Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:09:28 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>In article <7qda31966v616q1rrnpnug9bd8fnandfcj@4ax.com>,
> BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:43:28 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> >Thus spake Jennifer Hayes <jhayes@yahoo.com>, Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:08:23
>> >-0500, Anno Domini:

>> No very Bad, Colors as its only a 8 bit interface they use Dithering to get
>> the other colors, even 16ms one do that..
>
>What exactly are you trying to say?

I think the word is 'trolling', not saying, per se. ;-)

Lou

"Russell Wallace" <russell.no.spam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Jennifer Hayes wrote:
>> Do the new LCD's with 8ms response time eliminate ghosting? Is it time to
>> buy? Is that color quality as good as slower LCD's?
>
> I've a VideoSeven L17PS that I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on;
> the color quality's as good as I've ever seen, and no trace of ghosting.
> So I'd say yes, it's time to buy.
>
> --
> "Always look on the bright side of life."
> To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.

No, not for me anyway. Not time to buy unless its a 20" or larger 8ms LCD.
; )