Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What 3 apps to make basic Beatle's stripped down songs?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:13:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by Ides
of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.

I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.

But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I won't
be buying or playing a guitar soon. And believable or at least great
sounding violin/cello/trumpets/sax and of course, snare drums.

Could I cover this in just 3 or 4 additional apps? For guitar I am
thinking Native Instruments Guitar Rig. What else for the rest?

I had a Yamaha ex5 - it had great british amp guitar sounds - but I had
to sell it. How have you guys gotten nasty guitar sounds digitally?

Thanks!

Burt Reynolds
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:13:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote in message news:<MPG.1b8a52f9c006009d9896b6@news.easynews.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by Ides
> of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.
>
> I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
> Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.
>
> But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I won't
> be buying or playing a guitar soon.

I suspect you'd get more response from alt.music.4-track, as there's
more likely to be someone in the same boat there. In rec.audio.pro,
most of the regulars would probably insist in a real guitar played by
a real guitarist.

Oh wait, you already posted there. Please don't crosspost. It's bad
netiquette.

--PW
August 16, 2004 6:45:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 16 Aug 2004 07:25:33 -0700, stuff@slinkp.com (Paul Winkler) wrote:
>burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote in message news:<MPG.1b8a52f9c006009d9896b6@news.easynews.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by Ides
>> of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.
>>
>> I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
>> Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.
>>
>> But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I won't
>> be buying or playing a guitar soon.

Get a guitarist pal to lay down the part - don't think you would have
much joy with sample CDs etc - guitar just doesn't work like that.
>
>I suspect you'd get more response from alt.music.4-track, as there's
>more likely to be someone in the same boat there. In rec.audio.pro,
>most of the regulars would probably insist in a real guitar played by
>a real guitarist.

Agree
>
>Oh wait, you already posted there. Please don't crosspost. It's bad
>netiquette.
>
>--PW
Hmmm... gotta say that crossposting is a perfectly valid Usenet
practice when the newsgroups share interests, as in this case.

Good luck with the girl, burtreynolds :-)
Related resources
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 5:00:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:13:58 GMT, burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com
wrote:

>to sell it. How have you guys gotten nasty guitar sounds digitally?

sample them? :D 
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:20:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Stuff,

Thanks for the reply! After I get the song composed and playable, I
would like to get real trumpets, violins, guitar, etc. But for the
meanwhile, I would like to get it down and as close to real sounding as
possible, in terms of the digital instrumentation.

I hear quiet a few hit songs that do use digitized instruments, and they
often sound great - perhaps not exactly like a real guitar, but almost
like a different instrument unto itself - albeit similar to a guitar.

I really liked some of the hard brit/overdriven guitar sounds on my ex-5
and would have no problem using them...perhaps even permanently...but
now, without the ex-5...I am looking for the best app with which to get
a digital guitar onto a track.

Hey...if I could, I would hire Adrien Belew of many fames, but the one I
love most is his solo at the end of Bowie's "Love the Alien" and in his
songs, "Young Lions" and "Men in Helicopters."

IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE ABOVE THREE SONGS, they are lyrically and
musically, 3 of the greatest songs the Earth has yet produced. Never
have I heard a guitar sound as expressive as in "Young Lions" and in
"Loving the Alien" guitar and violin blend wonderfully.

I would also love to know how Alek Lifeson got his electric violin sound
on "Losing it." Been looking for a while but no luck.

Anyway...thanks for the partial input as to the apps one might use to
create basic songs with basic instruments.


Love,

Burt


Subject: Re: What 3 apps to make basic Beatle's stripped down songs?
From: gmc <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro

On 16 Aug 2004 07:25:33 -0700, stuff@slinkp.com (Paul Winkler) wrote:
>burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote in message news:
<MPG.1b8a52f9c006009d9896b6@news.easynews.com>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by
Ides
>> of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.
>>
>> I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
>> Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.
>>
>> But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I
won't
>> be buying or playing a guitar soon.

Get a guitarist pal to lay down the part - don't think you would have
much joy with sample CDs etc - guitar just doesn't work like that.
>
>I suspect you'd get more response from alt.music.4-track, as there's
>more likely to be someone in the same boat there. In rec.audio.pro,
>most of the regulars would probably insist in a real guitar played by
>a real guitarist.

Agree
>
>Oh wait, you already posted there. Please don't crosspost. It's bad
>netiquette.
>
>--PW
Hmmm... gotta say that crossposting is a perfectly valid Usenet
practice when the newsgroups share interests, as in this case.

Good luck with the girl, burtreynolds :-)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:45:52 GMT
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:32:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to give your input on a highly debatable
point: posting to two groups which have a great deal of overlap. As the
subsequent poster noted, it's perfectly within polite and convetional
net protocols to do so, not to mention it just makes sense.

I understand you don't prefer this practice, and so I hope you don't do
it, for the sake of your conscience. As for me, I will take your helpful
and solicitiouis advice into deep consideration.

Since you gave me such a helpful tip, I offer you one, no charge: Please
don't give definitive requests regarding non-definitive issues :) 

It's actually hard to believe you responded not help in the least, but
just to play the hall monitor, the petulaent peevish school marm,
cluttering up and already cluttered net with prison snitch like
behavior. Anyone ever call you a tattletale growing up? (Rhetorical
question :)  Well...stop it, change...be...do...better. See the ball
Paul.

See how easy it can be?

Love,

Burt


Subject: Re: What 3 apps to make basic Beatle's stripped down songs?
From: Paul Winkler <stuff@slinkp.com>
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro

burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote in message news:
<MPG.1b8a52f9c006009d9896b6@news.easynews.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by Ides
> of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.
>
> I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
> Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.
>
> But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I won't
> be buying or playing a guitar soon.

I suspect you'd get more response from alt.music.4-track, as there's
more likely to be someone in the same boat there. In rec.audio.pro,
most of the regulars would probably insist in a real guitar played by
a real guitarist.

Oh wait, you already posted there. Please don't crosspost. It's bad
netiquette.

--PW
Date: 16 Aug 2004 07:25:33 -0700
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b8cb143adbe81569896ba@news.easynews.com...
> Hi Stuff,
>

-much snippage-

> I would also love to know how Alek Lifeson got his electric violin sound
> on "Losing it." Been looking for a while but no luck.


Um, I'd have to dig out the disc to check, but I believe that was someone
else playing a violin, not Alex on guitar. Dang it, I just had to go look
through my discs, and someone seems to have misplaced that particular disc.
(We had someone come in to fix a plumbing thing, and my collection had to
get moved, so it is currently no longer alphabetized, and finding the
correct disc isn't proving to be possible.) Anyway, I'm fairly certain that
isn't Alex at all, and I'm also fairly certain the instrument is actually a
violin.

Kendall
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:54:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <MPG.1b8cb143adbe81569896ba@news.easynews.com>,
burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote:

> I would also love to know how Alex Lifeson got his electric violin sound
> on "Losing it." Been looking for a while but no luck.

quite simple - Rush went out and got an electric violinist to play
that part (Ben Mink, a Canadian session musician and producer who's
worked with FM and k.d. lang)

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
Now On Soundclick for your listening pleasure!
www.soundclick.com/bands/2/dandreibelbismusic.htm
new song "Pig Biting Mad! (More METEL Than Jarl! Mix)"
August 18, 2004 4:37:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:41:55 GMT, "Kendall"
<kbergheim@sbcglobal123.net> wrote:

>
><burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com> wrote in message
>news:MPG.1b8cb143adbe81569896ba@news.easynews.com...
>> Hi Stuff,
>>
>
>-much snippage-
>
>> I would also love to know how Alek Lifeson got his electric violin sound
>> on "Losing it." Been looking for a while but no luck.
>
>
>Um, I'd have to dig out the disc to check, but I believe that was someone
>else playing a violin, not Alex on guitar.

from an online discography: Special guest, Ben Mink - Electric
violins on "Losing It" courtesy of FM
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Bill" <bwillis8@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
news:o 9j6i093hq312e4oh3mf1285pmv1f2gj1c@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:41:55 GMT, "Kendall"
> <kbergheim@sbcglobal123.net> wrote:
>
> >
> ><burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com> wrote in message
> >news:MPG.1b8cb143adbe81569896ba@news.easynews.com...
> >> Hi Stuff,
> >>
> >
> >-much snippage-
> >
> >> I would also love to know how Alek Lifeson got his electric violin
sound
> >> on "Losing it." Been looking for a while but no luck.
> >
> >
> >Um, I'd have to dig out the disc to check, but I believe that was
someone
> >else playing a violin, not Alex on guitar.
>
> from an online discography: Special guest, Ben Mink - Electric
> violins on "Losing It" courtesy of FM

Yes, and if you ever run across a copy of their (FM's) album: "City of
Fear", grab it - it's worth a listen or three.
--


Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records
http://www.saqqararecords.com
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:48:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I want to make myself more attractive to win a girl over. I want to
look like Brad Pitt, or at least John Cusack.

I'm collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought a
scalpel, a few sponges, and a whole set of taxidermist's tools.

But I need to do bone reconstruction in my nose and chin, as my head
isn't shaped like anybody attractive. And I need to make my lips
fuller and thicker, or at lease prettier. Oh, and of course I need to
be taller.

Could I do all of this in just a couple 3 or 4 surgeries that I will
perform on myself? For the nose I'm thinking of hacking away at my own
bone and cartilage, and embedding a Mr. Potatohead nose under the skin.
What should I do about the rest of my face?

I had a Fisher Price medical kit, with a plastic stethoscope and one of
those little rubber mallets that you hit someone in the knee with to
check their reflexes. But my mom gave it to the Salvation Army when I
was in junior high. How have you guys performed plastic surgery using
nothing but the tools for an entirely different job?

Thanks!

Roger Moore


<burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to make a song to win a girl over - a song like "Vehicle" by Ides
> of March, or even "I want to hold you hand" by the Beatles.
>
> I am collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought:
> Cubase SX2, A Korg Z1 synth, audiophile 24/96.
>
> But I need to make basic gritty guitar sounds, but in my DAW, as I won't
> be buying or playing a guitar soon. And believable or at least great
> sounding violin/cello/trumpets/sax and of course, snare drums.
>
> Could I cover this in just 3 or 4 additional apps? For guitar I am
> thinking Native Instruments Guitar Rig. What else for the rest?
>
> I had a Yamaha ex5 - it had great british amp guitar sounds - but I had
> to sell it. How have you guys gotten nasty guitar sounds digitally?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Burt Reynolds
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 7:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Ben Mink eh? Cool bro - thanks!!
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 7:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks Neil. I think I'll check it out. I "discovered" Adrien Belew solo
work this way, but wondering who did the guitar solos on Bowie's
"Tonight" album. Have you heard "Three of a perfect pair," "Model Man,"
or "Men in Helicopters?" Well...most people don't like the stuff I do,
but to me they are great songs.

Lator Gator,

Burt
August 19, 2004 12:37:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:48:23 -0500, Justin Ulysses Morse
<ulyssesnospam@rollmusic.com> wrote:
>I want to make myself more attractive to win a girl over. I want to
>look like Brad Pitt, or at least John Cusack.
>
>I'm collecting tools and slowly learning. I have recently bought a
>scalpel, a few sponges, and a whole set of taxidermist's tools.
>
>But I need to do bone reconstruction in my nose and chin, as my head
>isn't shaped like anybody attractive. And I need to make my lips
>fuller and thicker, or at lease prettier. Oh, and of course I need to
>be taller.
>
>Could I do all of this in just a couple 3 or 4 surgeries that I will
>perform on myself? For the nose I'm thinking of hacking away at my own
>bone and cartilage, and embedding a Mr. Potatohead nose under the skin.
>What should I do about the rest of my face?
>
>I had a Fisher Price medical kit, with a plastic stethoscope and one of
>those little rubber mallets that you hit someone in the knee with to
>check their reflexes. But my mom gave it to the Salvation Army when I
>was in junior high. How have you guys performed plastic surgery using
>nothing but the tools for an entirely different job?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Roger Moore
>
>

I'm not normally easily freaked, but umm -

Yikes!

What's He Building in There?
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:41:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< from an online discography: Special guest, Ben Mink - Electric
violins on "Losing It" courtesy of FM >>

Ben Mink's arrangements and production on k.d.lang's records is wonderful!

stv
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:43:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Roger Moore >>

LMAO!!

Well done!

(psst, Roger... start with the -hair-!!_

stv
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 10:49:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

burtreynolds@ontheroadagainn.com wrote in message news:<MPG.1b8cb3f4519e2e4e9896bb@news.easynews.com>...
> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to give your input on a highly debatable
> point: posting to two groups which have a great deal of overlap. As the
> subsequent poster noted, it's perfectly within polite and convetional
> net protocols to do so, not to mention it just makes sense.

My mistake. Sorry about that, I've been mostly in the world of mailing
lists for a few years, and on the particular ones I frequent, people
really dislike crossposting. I got my 'quettes garbled.

(sarcasm snipped)
> It's actually hard to believe you responded not help in the least,

My motivation was only to help you. I don't have the answers to your
questions so I tried to steer you away from one forum that is likely
to only tell you "don't do that", to another forum that might have
people
with the same needs and interests. And I think the replies bore out
that
prediction. Sorry if you consider that a useless reply.

As for the netiquette thing... again, that was an error.
I apologize.

> but
> just to play the hall monitor, the petulaent peevish school marm,
> cluttering up and already cluttered net with prison snitch like
> behavior. Anyone ever call you a tattletale growing up?


No.

> (Rhetorical question :) 

Nice that you've made up your mind so quickly.
You don't know me.

going back to lurk mode,

--PW
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:01:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Paul Winkler,

Very polite apology! Sorry I jumped the gun. You are cool, calm and
collected even though I was a bit snippy with you. That's very rare
these days. Usually people overreact, and are oversensitive giving rise
to most of the world's problems.

Now I apologize to you. I now think you are a very reasonable and nice
guy. Really. Thanks for writing back. Hope you don't stay in Lurk mode
too long :) 

Love,

Burt
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:03:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

mildly funny. the word to laugh ratio was a bit disparate though.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 2:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

She lives in another state, so it has to be something i can send. Or, if
I do go visit her...I will likely just say something brief, give her the
song, and hope for the best. It's a long shot...but one I'm willing to
take.

I had a friend who did this once. A girl would have nothing to do with
him. But he wrote this beautiful song...and won her over and married
her.

Still waiting for list of the best apps?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:34:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"easynews" <molly_davis@pulitzer_prize.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b90e97ce260116d9896c1@news.easynews.com...
> I had a friend who did this once. A girl would have nothing to do with
> him. But he wrote this beautiful song...and won her over and married
> her.

I've always been puzzled why anybody would want someone who will have
nothing to do with them anyway? Just a challenge or an ego trip.
The whole idea of "winning" another human is rather stupid IMO.

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 12:34:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Oh...I don't know. Said in many ways and at many times, gaining
someone's love and/or friendship is just about the oldest and most
worthy endeavor on earth. Calling turning someone from an enemy, or
even a detractor, or perhaps just someone who is ambivalent, into a
friend...I might say calling that endeavor stupid...is...stupid. Sure.

Love Always,

Me


On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:34:16 +1000, "TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au>
wrote:

>
>"easynews" <molly_davis@pulitzer_prize.com> wrote in message
>news:MPG.1b90e97ce260116d9896c1@news.easynews.com...
>> I had a friend who did this once. A girl would have nothing to do with
>> him. But he wrote this beautiful song...and won her over and married
>> her.
>
>I've always been puzzled why anybody would want someone who will have
>nothing to do with them anyway? Just a challenge or an ego trip.
>The whole idea of "winning" another human is rather stupid IMO.
>
>TonyP.
>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:00:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<Old_Lurker@sunstudios.com> wrote in message
news:j1kei0p9ab5223bf9rsoo83neu92385q2s@4ax.com...
> Oh...I don't know. Said in many ways and at many times, gaining
> someone's love and/or friendship is just about the oldest and most
> worthy endeavor on earth. Calling turning someone from an enemy, or
> even a detractor, or perhaps just someone who is ambivalent, into a
> friend...I might say calling that endeavor stupid...is...stupid. Sure.

That's one way to look at it I guess. Or you could pursue someone with a
more open mind in the first place. I know who I would rather end up with.

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:23:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

If men could control who they fall in love with, if their hearts were
more computer than human, than sure...pick and choose the girl with the
best personality profile. Sadly...humans usually just fall in love with
whom they fall in love - end of story.

Then again, many countries do have pre-arranged marriages that "work."
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 6:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Burt Reynolds" <burtreynolds@simplyburt.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b938ffdf58a04e09896ce@news.easynews.com...
> If men could control who they fall in love with, if their hearts were
> more computer than human, than sure...pick and choose the girl with the
> best personality profile. Sadly...humans usually just fall in love with
> whom they fall in love - end of story.

If you think so. IME people can and do fall in love with very many people
and make a choice. (or more likely these days, a number of choices at
different times of their lives)
There are probably thousands of others they could easily fall in love with
too, but haven't even met most of them. And of course many who will never
love them!

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.4-track,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

burtreynolds@simplyburt.com wrote in message news:<MPG.1b90e793ef6612519896bf@news.easynews.com>...
> Hi Paul Winkler,
>
> Now I apologize to you. I now think you are a very reasonable and nice
> guy. Really. Thanks for writing back.

we're cool :-)

> Hope you don't stay in Lurk mode
> too long :) 

I dunno. In terms of experience and knowledge I really fit better in
alt.music.4-track rather than rec.audio.pro. Sometimes I forget that
and post advice here. I usually end up regretting it. I just have to
remind myself to stick to asking questions when I'm hanging with the
pros.

--PW
!