Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless Woes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 23, 2012 12:14:40 AM

Hey guys,

So I finally got around to getting my password security protected (yay!). Only problem, now my wifi is acting up. I used a WPA encryption and my internet has become very slow and sluggish on my laptop, phone, playbook and PS3 (the wired connections are still okay). It cuts in and out and I don't understand why. I was thinking that maybe multiple devices keep receiving the same ip address or something. Anyways, internet is really choppy, and I can not skype video call on my laptop anymore (I could do so seamlessly and lag free prior to the change). Video stream can get choppy, and online gaming is a no go. I tried hard resetting, but when I go to my router's address, nothing is changed ie router password is the same, wireless network password is the same. I was wondering, anyone have a fix? I have a d-link DIR-615 router.

Cheers

More about : wireless woes

July 23, 2012 7:05:16 PM

ferny111 said:
I was thinking that maybe multiple devices keep receiving the same ip address or something

That is not the case. you did not mention how fast your internet speed was. have you tried turning your router off and on again?
m
l
July 23, 2012 7:35:02 PM

Try temporarily dropping the security level to WEP and use a different code - ten mixed characters between 0 and 9 and a to f will do. Your PS3 would have to be quite young to be able to join a WPA protected network, I believe.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 24, 2012 5:09:44 AM

I have tried using WEP, WPA2, and hard reset. Sadly, it seems while I was out, the power went out twice in a row. It then went out a third time today and completely destroyed the poor thing(served me well for 4 years...though a couple firmware updates made the experience a little sour). It won't even boot up anymore. Guess I am shopping for a new one. Any recommendations?
m
l

Best solution

July 25, 2012 1:46:31 PM

Adding encryption to a connection that did not have it, will drop the speed. Plus the distance to the router matters.

Since you need a new router, I like the Netgear RangeMax line. Depending on what you need, some models have USB ports for storage sharing, printer networking, some other features.
July 25, 2012 8:24:55 PM

Well, the router was about 1.5 meters away, so it probably wasn't distance. In addition, the router could not be reset and there was no means to remove the password. Anyways, I have no experience with any NetGear routers. I will have to do some research, but thanks for the recommendation. I am looking for a router to go through 2 floors/ceilings (2nd floor to basement), able to give out a decent throughput and about 40-70 dollars.
m
l
July 26, 2012 4:05:32 AM

Best answer selected by ferny111.
m
l
!