Hard Drive and Unzipping takes too long? Help pls.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Ok, I have 1 hard drive sitting on 1 cable 60GB IBM 7200 RPM, ATA100. 2 partitions. Fat32, DMA is enabled.

I have about 60 files zipped with music (950MB total) and I started unzipping them all and it took 4 hours and 15 minuties to unzip all of them with winrar. Is it normal or there is something wrong with my hard drive? need help

It may be your memory is getting choked with the unzipping.

Get system monitor running and try again.

How much memory have you? I've found my system slows down sometimes with heavy use of Winzip.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
One of my machines is a PIII 600MHz and I've noticed that winrar is a BIG CPU hog on it. Extractions take forever. The memory never really increases that much but my CPU will max out. Just something else to check.

Fair enough, but this guy's CPU has a fair bit of kick. My CPU is about half as good, and doesn't drop out that badly on Winzip stuff. Only if I've spent a good half hour or so messing around. Usually a restart sorts it, which suggests memory.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
i was checking in the task manager performance and cpu usage was averaging at 70%, the memory stayed the same 159MB out of 512... Also when I tried to unzip on my RAID 1 drives unzipping time decreased by 45 minuties, but still it's 3.5 hours for unziping 60 files totaling 950MB...

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
You actually might want to ensure that your disks are defrag'd too. I can definately see if your drives have high fragmentation that it would take longer for the extraction process, because it has to jump around the disk to write the new data.