Sign in with
Your question

New to Linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 9, 2002 9:04:02 AM

Ok here what happing I m getting dual 80 gig hard drives. made in to 4 sections each. I want to make windows xp one section. And I want to make Linux in a differnt section. Right Now I m usieng windows 98. But I know linux doing 64 bit. Where windows only 32 bit. And I m looking at the cpu part of the fourm about the Hammer chip that will be doing 64 bit which Linux Which I seen the hammer running Linux/windows xp.

Frist here my system
MSI KT266 Pro with out RAID
Amd athlon 1800 with 1.53 gigs of ram which windows 98 will not run. It will only Run 1024 megs.
GF3 ti 500 vistion tek.
creative labs Modem and
Sound blaster Live.
NetGear Ethernet Pci card Cable modem
ati TV card. Only thing from ATI that windows 98 likes.
Dual cdroms ones a 40/10/25

Right now I m looking for Linux down load. So all I have to do is copy it to the CDs

More about : linux

March 9, 2002 5:17:56 PM

No, there are perfectly working 32bit versions of the latest linux kernels. It doesn't have to be 64 bits.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>
March 9, 2002 5:36:17 PM

Will Linux on the Hammer be 32-bit or 64-bit (i.e. if you compile a tgz, which will it be?)

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
Related resources
March 10, 2002 12:11:16 AM

I don't know, but I'm guessing there will be a parameter on the compiler to let you decide.

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>
March 10, 2002 7:12:59 AM

If you're running a 64 bit compiled kernel, and a 64 bit distro, I'm sure the compiler will make 64 bit binaries...

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.
!