USB port on acer Aspire is unresponsive

ryanryanryan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
i have an acer laptop and i have 3 usb ports. 2 of the 3 work, the other doesnt pick up any devices i plug into it. i can still use it to charge things, but none the less, it doesnt tell me anything is plugged into my laptop. is there a way i can fix this without buying any expensive software?

Thanks, Ryan

So you plug in a device, you get no connection sound, and there is no drive letter assigned to the device in disk management, correct ??

Give this a try.
Device Manager: Expand the USB Controller. Right click each HUB and scan for hardware changes. Reboot.

ryanryanryan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

yes, if i plug anything in, such as a flash drive, nothing happens. no quick startup, no loading symbol by my cursor, no drive letter assigned.

i tried the steps you've stated. but it seemed not to work. each time i scanned for hardware changes, a window would appear for maybe half a second and then just seemed to just collapse then expand. it didnt seem to do anything. but i rebooted regardless. when it turned back on, the usb port is still unresponsive...

Device may be faulty - Try it in a working port, and on another computer.

ryanryanryan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
this is what i thought too. but like i said, it can still charge things, but wont open them. and the devices work properly in other drives and computers. but since it is delivering power, im thinking its some kind of software issue.