One great big fudged-up PC

Balk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
So, I'm sitting back and configuring some of my new software (Just bought a nostromo gamepad and an internet keyboard, as well as a new version of msoffice), and things are going generally okay; as office is finishing installation, I start looking through some of my old documents, deleting what I don't need and renaming a few things (What I do when I'm really bored, pretty much).
Suddenly, things start going really slow. It happens, so I disregard it this time. Office finishes, and I restart.
When I boot up again, my harddrive starts making clicking noises - you know, like the kind it makes when it's trying to read something it can't but keeps trying anyway - and starts running very, VERY slowly. I haven't defragged in about half a month, so I thought that might be the problem.
Sure enough, it looks like I need it. I start right away.
About 14% into defragmenting, the program closes. No error message or anything, it just closes.
I try again. This time it closes at around 18%. So, I ignore it.
Now I'm setting up my webshots desktop program, out of sheer boredom again. It's taking forever to load the images, but I barely care. Then, on one of the pictures, it loads slower than hell, and I get an error message telling me that there was an error trying to read an unknown file.
Great.
I try to run a game, and my PC restarts. This happens on rare occasions, too, so I try not to concern myself with it.
The Windows XP loading screen loads up, and starts loading really choppy. About the time it should load Windows, it cuts to a stop error.
"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I'd seen this particular one before, around 2 months ago when I got my new PC parts.
*sigh*
I reboot, as instructed. I get the stop error again. I reboot and disable all kinds of caching, also as instructed in the error message. I try this over and over again as I repeatedly get the error message, trying different combinations of enabling and disabling various types of caching and shadowing.
Finally, I boot off my Windows XP CD and try to repair installation...no go.
I try that again, from the recovery console, using FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.
Nothing.
I do it once again, running CHKDSK first as I should have.
Finally, I'm back in Windows, and everything is running at normal speed as far as I can see right now. So, I'm posting here, searching for desperate help before it happens again.

...I must note that about week ago, this same thing happened, though it was quickly remedied by simply running FIXBOOT. And a few weeks before that, it happened, and I formatted afterwards, with no problems until a week ago, and then now. The hard drive is about as new as the rest of my system, and here are the specs:

Athlon XP 2100(+) CPU
Corsair PC2700 DDRAM, 512MB
Soltek KT333 SL75 Motherboard
Radeon 8500, 64MB Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Plextor 24/10/40A CD-RW
Pioneer 16/40 DVD
3COM NIC (Unknown specs)

...anyways, yeah. My story's got holes, but I told it as simply as possible and as understandable as can be while being as dead-on the truth as I can get. Don't nitpick what I said, please, I've had plenty of it in other cases; I'm just here to see if I can get some technical help without bringing my baby to the crappy repair shop in town. All I need to say about that is I asked them to fix my printer and they took my computer without the printer, formatted my hard drive, installed Windows ME, and gave it back to me with nothing else on it except a stain on the side smelling faintly of beer. So, I'm afraid of them. Help me. This crap has been going on with every PC I have owned for the past 3 years, and I just want the damn things to finally work...

Balk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
I should also add that my system is 100% virus-free, and, aside from installing everything when I got it circa 2 months ago and 2 weeks or so ago when I installed a hard drive cooler, I've not touched anything inside of it as far as I recall...so I doubt I've damaged anything, really (ESD or physical damage, at least).

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You didn't say what your HDD is but maybe this will help -> <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q297185" target="_new">Q29185</A> you may be using the wrong UDMA cable.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah
what brand hard drive?

from your symptoms the drive is on its way out. reformats meerly prolong the pain.

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!