Cheap (UK/Euro) Vampire Masquerade 2: Bloodlines

http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur. Got to be worth a look at that
price. Though I guess the fact it's been so heavily discounted already
means it didn't sell well.

Andrew McP
26 answers Last reply
More about cheap euro vampire masquerade bloodlines

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur. Got to be worth a look at that
    > price. Though I guess the fact it's been so heavily discounted already
    > means it didn't sell well.

    IMHO the game is much better than HL2, D3 or even RPG shooters like SS2 or
    DX, but it was released so buggy that this had to impact sales! Be sure to
    apply the official patch 1.2 and any unofficial patches that are released.

    I am working to update the unofficial patch myself and while the developer
    Troika Games is already out of business, I will never understand, how they
    could overlook all these bugs that amateur programers like Dan Upright and
    myself can easily fix in our spare time! What a shame for a great game...

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur. Got to be worth a look at that
    >> price. Though I guess the fact it's been so heavily discounted
    >> already means it didn't sell well.
    >
    > IMHO the game is much better than HL2, D3 or even RPG shooters like
    > SS2 or DX, but it was released so buggy that this had to impact
    > sales! Be sure to apply the official patch 1.2 and any unofficial
    > patches that are released.

    Just curious; can the unofficial patches be applied
    on top of the official patch? And is there a list of the
    issues these resolve? After you do all that, are there
    still any show-stopper bugs left?

    I'd like to buy it, but only if I know my progress won't
    be stopped half-way through....

    P.

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    > http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur.

    Actually, 7.99 is ?11.50 at today's price -
    so even better for us Eurozoners!

    P.

    andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote
    in
    ised:

    > http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur. Got to be worth a
    > look at that price. Though I guess the fact it's been so
    > heavily discounted already means it didn't sell well.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    Not really, Play have a habit of selling top new releases
    (Far Cry £17.99) cheap as pre-order, and rapidly discounting
    pretty much any other title a few months after release.

    In article <3a0craF600dovU1@individual.net>, paul_moloney@hotmail.com
    (Paul Moloney) wrote:

    > Actually, 7.99 is ?11.50 at today's price

    Ah, but if you click on Play's Euro/Pound button the price is definitely
    12.99. It's a retailer not a bureau de change :-)

    Andrew McP

    In article <Xns961DB58DEF2D6ds34543dsffds@130.133.1.4>,
    bogorfspam@btopenworld.com (Lithurge) wrote:

    > Not really, Play have a habit of selling top new releases
    > (Far Cry £17.99) cheap as pre-order, and rapidly discounting

    I use Play quite a lot, and have done for a few years now. So I'm aware of
    their buyer-friendly habits. But IME relatively few titles drop to 7.99
    ever, let alone so soon after release. I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do
    with how titles sell or deals with publishers to clear dead stock rather
    than an overall generous policy.

    Andrew McP

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    thank you very much for the info
    and yet another proof why the retail channel is the best
    a 4 month old high quality pc game being sold in such a low price!
    and i bet play.com is not the only one and most of us pc gamers can
    find bloodline with heavy discounts in our local retail stores
    and yes bloodline is totally worth the money we give for it!
    so buy your copy!
    long live pc games!
    long live retail channel!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Werner Spahl wrote:

    > IMHO the game is much better than HL2, D3 or even RPG shooters like SS2 or
    > DX, but it was released so buggy that this had to impact sales! Be sure to
    > apply the official patch 1.2 and any unofficial patches that are released.
    >
    > I am working to update the unofficial patch myself and while the developer
    > Troika Games is already out of business, I will never understand, how they
    > could overlook all these bugs that amateur programers like Dan Upright and
    > myself can easily fix in our spare time! What a shame for a great game...

    every pc gamer should thank you for working in fixing a pc game for
    no reward except the joy and passion you have for it
    you have our true appreciation!
    thank you very much and this group should all thank you also
    its very sad troika has closed, but fortunately the pc game community
    is strong and very united so support for games even when the original
    developers are no longer doing it can continue, and does this happen
    with any other gaming platform? NO! no it doesn't!
    once again another real proof why pc gaming is the best!

    this entire group should join me in a big thank you to Werner Spahl

    ps: how do you in reality continue supporting the game? do you have
    the access to source code? did troika give you bloodline source code?
    you can only patch a game with source code right? or can you patch it
    by reverse engineering?

    --

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, "Paul Moloney" wrote:

    > I'd like to buy it, but only if I know my progress won't
    > be stopped half-way through....

    oh come one! buy the game!
    have you seen how low it is?
    for that price and even if you don't play it's still worthy!
    the world is unfair and troika has closed doors so at least
    we pc gamers lets now show some appreciation and buy bloodline!

    --

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > http://www.play.com, 7.99ukp/12.99eur. Got to be worth a look at that
    > price. Though I guess the fact it's been so heavily discounted
    > already means it didn't sell well.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    i already own that game, but i need a better video card before playing
    it again. it lags like hell on the street scenes.

    --
    DalienX

    In article <mN9%d.4576$C7.3338@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    somewhere@earth.com (DalienX) wrote:

    > i already own that game, but i need a better video card
    > before playing it again.

    Interesting. I thought the HL2 engine scaled well to slower vid cards. I
    guess Troika pushed the engine pretty hard.

    Andrew McP

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0503181445250.10798@cicum1.cup.uni-muenchen.de>,
    spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de (Werner Spahl) wrote:

    > Be sure to apply the official patch 1.2 and any unofficial
    > patches that are released.

    Thanks for the advice, and for your tweaks to the game.

    > I will never understand, how they could overlook all these bugs
    > that amateur programers like Dan Upright and myself can easily
    > fix in our spare time!

    I think with long projects like games it's very easy to lose focus and
    miss what can seem obvious to others... especially if a deadline is
    looming!

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson wrote:

    > In article <mN9%d.4576$C7.3338@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    > somewhere@earth.com (DalienX) wrote:
    >
    > > i already own that game, but i need a better video card
    > > before playing it again.
    >
    > Interesting. I thought the HL2 engine scaled well to slower vid
    > cards. I guess Troika pushed the engine pretty hard.
    >
    > Andrew McP

    yeah well interesting, considering i can play hl2 with ease.
    I didnt know it was the same engine, perhaps its all the people moving
    around or maybe its just buggy lol.

    --
    DalienX

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:06:55 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com> wrote:

    >Andrew MacPherson wrote:
    >
    >> In article <mN9%d.4576$C7.3338@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    >> somewhere@earth.com (DalienX) wrote:
    >>
    >> > i already own that game, but i need a better video card
    >> > before playing it again.
    >>
    >> Interesting. I thought the HL2 engine scaled well to slower vid
    >> cards. I guess Troika pushed the engine pretty hard.
    >>
    >> Andrew McP
    >
    >yeah well interesting, considering i can play hl2 with ease.
    >I didnt know it was the same engine, perhaps its all the people moving
    >around or maybe its just buggy lol.

    It's actually an earlier version of Source that is used in Vampire, it
    had not been updated to the current Source version as used in the first
    release of HL2. Apparently you can take the HL2 Source engine files and
    stick them in Vampire (rename the launcher) and it will run, but I have
    not tried it yet.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > Werner Spahl wrote:
    > >
    > > IMHO the game is much better than HL2, D3 or even RPG shooters like
    > > SS2 or DX, but it was released so buggy that this had to impact
    > > sales! Be sure to apply the official patch 1.2 and any unofficial
    > > patches that are released.
    >
    > Just curious; can the unofficial patches be applied
    > on top of the official patch? And is there a list of the
    > issues these resolve? After you do all that, are there
    > still any show-stopper bugs left?

    The unofficial patches can be applied before, after or without the
    official patch 1.2 and the game should work without show-stopper bugs.
    There is only one crash left at the end which can be circumvented by
    just reloading until it works ;).

    Werner Spahl wrote:

    > The unofficial patches can be applied before, after or without the
    > official patch 1.2 and the game should work without show-stopper bugs.
    > There is only one crash left at the end which can be circumvented by
    > just reloading until it works ;).

    Werner,

    Do you know where the unofficial patches can
    be found? I've done a search on Google,
    looked on some likely web sites, but can
    only find references to the official 1.2 patch.

    You mentioned you are working on a new
    version of the unofficial patch - any likely
    release date? If it's worth it (I'm sure it is!),
    I can always hold off on playing the game
    'til you release.

    P.

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > Do you know where the unofficial patches can be found? I've done a
    > search on Google, looked on some likely web sites, but can only find

    I think there was some trouble lately finding the unofficial 1.2 patch,
    but my updated version 1.3 is now available on www.fileplanet.com. I hope
    it will work fine, but I'm already working on 1.4 which will fix some
    more small bugs and which will place some weapons more logical ;).

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:
    >
    >> Do you know where the unofficial patches can be found? I've done a
    >> search on Google, looked on some likely web sites, but can only find
    >
    > I think there was some trouble lately finding the unofficial 1.2
    > patch, but my updated version 1.3 is now available on
    > www.fileplanet.com.

    Cheers - found it at:

    http://www.fileplanet.com/151191/download/Vampire-The-Masquerade:-Bloodlines---Unofficial-Patch-1.3

    Let us all know when 1.4 comes out! Not that I have my copy
    yet; play.com said it shipped last Friday, but still no sign.

    I see on their PC chart, the game is at no. 6...

    P.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <3ag91gF69jr22U1@individual.net>, paul_moloney@hotmail.com
    (Paul Moloney) wrote:

    > play.com said it shipped last Friday, but still no sign.

    Mine shipped the same day but arrived Thursday morning. Given there's no
    mail delivery today I guess you might get it tomorrow or Tuesday.

    FWIW my first impressions are good. The characters are -- IMO -- much
    better than HL2, more believable in context even though they're equally
    fictional... if that makes any sense :-) The acting's pretty good and
    sometimes, especially in dim lighting, characters can seem very
    realistic, and although the choices of conversation tend towards the 'all
    roads lead to Rome' school of dialogue, there's enough flexibility to sell
    you the illusion of choice even when choices aren't really there. And
    successful games are always the ones which sell you the illusion
    convincingly.

    Plotwise, well, it's a vampire RPG, what do you expect :-) Having said
    that, the introduction to the world and your part in it is very well done.
    You'd expect that though, it's like page one of a book.. if it's too poor,
    nobody's going to reach page two and buy it. If page fifteen;s a bit iffy
    it's less important.

    Without spoiling anything, I particularly enjoyed listening to the radio
    when I first entered my apartment.

    Anyway, it'll be a while before I can put a lot of time into this, but so
    far I've definitely seen enough to more than justify the price of entry
    and more besides. I even enjoyed the rather quirky way your character
    class is chosen (you can specify things yourself, but the automatic way is
    more entertaining).

    Andrew 'Nosferatu' McP
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > In article <mN9%d.4576$C7.3338@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    > somewhere@earth.com (DalienX) wrote:

    >> i already own that game, but i need a better video card
    >> before playing it again.

    > Interesting. I thought the HL2 engine scaled well to slower vid cards. I
    > guess Troika pushed the engine pretty hard.

    I've just started and found the tutorial level fine (on my
    2600+, 9800 Pro, 512MB, I could push it up
    to 1024x768, graphical options on full).

    However, as soon as I hit a particular street scene (on
    the way to Mercurio's apartment), framerates went down
    to a crawl). I tried turning down all graphical options, with no
    luck. Any help out there?

    P.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > oh come one! buy the game!

    Come one - is that as in "come one, come all!"?

    >have you seen how low it is?

    Yes. Have you seen my bank balance?
    You'll be happy to know I did indeed buy
    it, not that it helped poor Troika.

    P.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > However, as soon as I hit a particular street scene (on the way to
    > Mercurio's apartment), framerates went down to a crawl). I tried turning
    > down all graphical options, with no luck. Any help out there?

    It worked fine on my old Celeron 1 GHz but indeed slowed down on the big
    street hubs. I guess this is due to all the NPCs going about their stuff
    and not due to anything graphical. Just raw CPU power needed.

  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message

    > It worked fine on my old Celeron 1 GHz but indeed slowed down on the big
    > street hubs. I guess this is due to all the NPCs going about their stuff
    > and not due to anything graphical. Just raw CPU power needed.

    Well, if my Athlon 2600+ still doesn't have enough raw power, Troika
    severely overestimated their target audience.

    I actually got better results by reducing the resolution to 800x600, but
    forcing
    on anti-aliasing and anistrophic filtering (using RadLinker). It's now just
    about
    playable in the street scenes, where luckily you don't spend much time
    interacting, just heading from A to B.

    Based on tips online, I also did the following, but can't say I noticed much
    improvement:

    * Using the Bloodlines Tool (vpk-tool.zip), I unpacked all the .VPK files,
    then renamed them as .VPK.BAK. Didn't see much improvement here;
    also, I notice the unpacking program isn't entirely successful - I can
    see missing textures where some lightswitches are meant to be.

    * Added "-heapsize 256000 -dxlevel 90" to my shortcut (256000, as
    my memory size is 512MB).

    There's also a tip that when running Vampires, you should Alt-Tab, and
    _lower_ the priority of the task. Sounds contradictory, but some say it
    works. I may give this a try too.

    P.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > Well, if my Athlon 2600+ still doesn't have enough raw power, Troika
    > severely overestimated their target audience.

    Setting the pagefile to about 1.5 MB helps and I think the stuttering
    sound bug of the Source engine is one reason...

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:
    >
    >> Well, if my Athlon 2600+ still doesn't have enough raw power, Troika
    >> severely overestimated their target audience.

    > Setting the pagefile to about 1.5 MB helps and I think the stuttering
    > sound bug of the Source engine is one reason...

    I did that, not much luck either.

    Would it be beyond the capabilities of some hackers
    out there to find out what the fix was for Half-Life 2
    and perform the same wizardry to Bloodlines? I hope
    not!

    Someone mentioned that they thought the slowdown
    was purely due to the CPU, because of the AI involved
    in the street scenes. However, since all the NPCs do
    is walk around, I find that hard to believe - there's
    certainly no GTA3 level of interactivity.

    P.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > Would it be beyond the capabilities of some hackers out there to find
    > out what the fix was for Half-Life 2 and perform the same wizardry to
    > Bloodlines? I hope not!

    I doubt it. After all it took Valve itself some time to fix the HL2
    stuttering and it seems, not for all people. VTMB probably uses a older
    Source engin too.

    > Someone mentioned that they thought the slowdown was purely due to the
    > CPU, because of the AI involved in the street scenes. However, since all
    > the NPCs do is walk around, I find that hard to believe - there's
    > certainly no GTA3 level of interactivity.

    This was my idea, because on my new Athon64 3000+ the hubs run much faster
    than on my old Celeron 1 GHz and I still use the same Geforce 3 Ti 200.
    Maybe the cool models of VTMB take their toll, after all any NPC on these
    hubs looks as good as the best HL2 model.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games