Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need an opinion on this cloud computing site :-)

Last response: in Business Computing
November 10, 2011 8:43:44 AM

Hey guys! For the past three weeks, my life has been dedicated to cloud computing. I can't count the number of sites I have visited but I've been using for the past few weeks. It's called myPDV - and it's pretty cool because one of their bonus unique features (I only call it unique because I'm not sure if anyone else does it...ie. I could be wrong) is that you can sync all your stuff from your online storage to your iPAD using their application. I think it's called myPDV on the app store. Anyway, I just needed an opinion from you guys regarding security. One of the most important things for storing online is security and no matter how long i've been using the internet for, it is still one of my concerns.

If any of you guys have an opinion it will be great. They don't have much info on their website however they do have a facebook page called myPDV with stuff about em on there.

Cheers peeps!
November 10, 2011 12:00:51 PM

If security is important to you then don't give it to a third party at all... My opinion.

Also making anything available online automatically makes it less secure. Why do you think the military and government have isolated networks (although even this fails at times, check out how the stations for flying drones)
November 10, 2011 12:22:39 PM

No one will know how secure any cloud website is unless they get a private tour of the facilities (and computer code) and get to inspect the methods used to secure the data. I've heard of cloud sites storing the passwords in plain text. But you wouldn't know until it was exposed.

I'm with americanbrian. The best security is not giving it to others. If you want cloud like access, you can build your own server with your own security standards, and you have the added security of no one knowing you exist. Amazon probably fends off tons of hacking attempts daily, but your personal server won't be bothered by more than the most rudimentary password guessing scripts.

As for mypdv specifically, it seems really sketchy. They don't provide any information on their website and claim to backup things like Passports and birth certificates, which have no need for a digital backup since it is no good unless you physically have them.

I'm going to go one step further and wonder if the OP is spamming their own website since while checking for information on the website I came across a lot of spam for mydpv.
Related resources
November 24, 2011 9:19:32 AM

Security is mainly in your own hands. If you have a ridiculous password then of course nothing is safe. Just protect yourself with a safe password using capitals and symbols and you will be fine. It's not like you are storing secretly classified US secret service documents where the world is going to try and hack into you.
November 24, 2011 1:00:41 PM

wizkids said:
Security is mainly in your own hands. If you have a ridiculous password then of course nothing is safe. Just protect yourself with a safe password using capitals and symbols and you will be fine. It's not like you are storing secretly classified US secret service documents where the world is going to try and hack into you.

Doesn't matter how bizare your password is if the server passes this in plain text. The question should really be does the data get encrypted before it heads off to the cloud?
December 3, 2011 5:58:06 AM

Well, I did actually get onto them and ask if their data was encrypted and it is! All reputable companies do encrypt their data when it is being upload and stored! It's a comforting thing to hear!!
December 3, 2011 5:37:27 PM

How do they screen their employees? how many of them have access to the keys to view encypted data? How good is their cash flow? will they be bought out in the near future by a marketing firm or newspaper magnate?

Can they detect man in the middle attacks on your client? What country do they host data from?

You seem to be trying to sell something either to us or yourself, but paying the piper is not a happy thing when you see the folly of your naivety
December 7, 2011 1:41:41 PM

jungletothecloud said:
Well, I did actually get onto them and ask if their data was encrypted and it is! All reputable companies do encrypt their data when it is being upload and stored! It's a comforting thing to hear!!

I think you missed my point. If they encrypt companyplan.ppt as it uploads then it's not the same thing as you creating an AES256 encrypted companyplan.zip and then uploading that. You're still dependent on their mechanisms, keys and integrity. Doing some of the work yourself ensures a much higher degree of confidence and in some environemnts would be required.

The acid test - If I left that same file on a pendrive at DefCon would I feel safe? If not then why trust anybody with it. Make it safe before it goes anywhere.
!