Help with faulty network

Obesidia

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello there, Toms's Hardware community, I have a very particular and annoying problem with my internet configuration. After searching many, MANY sites I have come to decide that my problem is pretty much exclusive to me.
(If you can find a link, well done.)

The problem is I can't browse the internet, except in safe mode with networking.

I'm running Windows XP with service pack 3, and the safe mode wallpaper is telling me it's on build 2600.
My network configuration is modem (Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 series) > router (Netgear WRN834B) > Computer.

Ever since two weeks ago the network has been fine (save for some minor wireless SSID and password changes; no port forwarding or anything like that.) but now it seems to not work in "normal" mode, so I'm stuck in Safe.
Because of this, I'm pretty sure that it's some sort of program or service that runs in normal mode.

And sure enough, after disabling all the startup services, I've gotten a bit of progress. Now I can ping sites, by name and address, from command prompt and get a return, but I still cannot browse the internet in normal mode.

The only other advice I've followed was our local Techie's idea of updating the driver (for a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter) but he says he's never seen anything like it.

The only other thing I can think of now is asking you guys, so here's the info you usually ask for, the ipconfig /all results.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Woody
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-85-01-AD-80
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 August 2012 17:02:09
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 August 2012 17:02:09

Sorry about the long post, but I'm sure you'll manage.
If there's anything else you need, just ask.

Thanks!

Obesidia

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
There seems to be some sort of problem with the forum (internal server error) so I'm just posting this to check if I can post a shorter message. Will try to edit the scan results in if I can.

EDIT: Yes, it turns out I can't put a huge wall of text (such as the Rkill log) in, so I'll just try and give a brief summary.

Rkill: No problems, nothing needed fixing, but I don't seem to have any digital signatures and some System32 files MAY have have been patched. (not by the program, says "Possibly Patched Files" in the log)

TDSSKiller: No problems here, 344 objects. 0 threats.

MBAM: This is where it gets interesting. I have deleted around 37 pieces (pieces?) of malware that were already checked for deletion after the scan had finished. There was also a lot of adware (around 400-500 files) that is currently in quarantine.

That's about as much as I can tell you at the moment, and I still can't browse the internet.

Thanks for the help so far, but keep it going.

Obesidia

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Nope, not using a proxy. Don't think I ever have, but it could have been.

This is the sort of thing I think it is, i.e. software or settings, due to the nature of Safe Mode.

TRENDING THREADS