Sign in with
Your question

Found a GTXP hardware conflict, WinXP Pro

Last response: in Components
July 29, 2002 5:17:01 PM

I don't know what model it was 'cuz I removed it from the system and I'm <i>not</i> puttin' it back in... :wink: but I traced my GTXP problem to the presence of a combination modem and phoneline networking adapter. Seems that if this device is present in the system, then the GTXP would play the rear speaker sound thru the front speakers, and the front-center sound thru the rear speakers. It's a tricky problem because their knowledge base has a solution for this problem that involves deleting a Crystal Semiconductor registry key, but that key doesn't exist in this case, it's the same symptoms caused by a different problem. So, anyone having problems with a GTXP, try yanking your other hardware out to see if it starts working.

(this applies to Windows XP Pro)

Cheers

-- Monkeys? What does this .sig have to do with monkeys? --
July 29, 2002 7:00:47 PM

Combination modem phoneline networking adapter? Wierd.

I just use a nick, a modem and a GTXP on Win XP Pro and it works fine...

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
July 30, 2002 1:30:58 AM

I use a cable modem and an ethernet card, which is why I'm not too sad to see the modem thingy go; it was just in there because this is a GW2Krap computer. (I'm pissed at it only having two drive bays. Hey, what can you expect from a secondhand pc.)

But yeah, soon as that thing was out, the standard driver installation worked fine.

Related resources
July 30, 2002 6:56:24 PM

Wow, what a great idea! :eek:  I wonder why I didn't think of that.

I'll think about it again when I'm out of college and have a job... then I'll be able to go buy whatever I want for my PC. Until then though, I subsist on leftovers and the <i>very</i> occasional new component purchase. Which is why I'm spending extra time making sure my soundcard is right, because it's been the disappointing part of my system for the past two years.

!