Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible wifi security bug with Netgear WNR2000 v3

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 24, 2012 3:17:38 AM

I just got my new WNR2000 v3. For anyone else with one of these running the latest Netgear firmware (1.1.2.2) -- can you check if yours behaves the same as mine?

1) configure Wifi, with WPA2-PSK (AES) security. multiple wifi clients connect fine using the wifi passphrase.
2) press the router's wireless on-off button to turn the wireless off
3) power cycle the router (use the power switch on the router)
4) after the router restarts, wireless remains off. Press the wireless on-off button to turn the wireless on again
5) Now wifi is on, but with OPEN security! multiple wifi clients verify this. But the WNR2000's web based management interface still says WPA2-PSK (AES) is on, which is incorrect! there is actually NO wifi security, but the router management interface thinks there is security. I can connect from wifi clients with no passphrase. And I can no longer connect using the passphrase.

Hopefully mine is just a lemon -- otherwise Netgear has a firmware bug to fix.
a b F Wireless
July 24, 2012 1:55:38 PM

Bugs like this are more common than most ppl imagine. The level of QA applied is minimal, and which is why the equipment is so inexpensive. I'd just report it on their forums (perhaps others already have).
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:08:05 AM

Update:

Netgear tech support was fairly fast in responding, but didn't have much to offer except recommending to downgrade the firmware and test again. I waited a couple of weeks to see if they could replicate the issue in their labs (with firmware 1.1.2.2) but they still haven't got around to it.

But the good news: I downgraded to firmware 1.1.1.72 and the problem is gone. There's no other obvious differences between the two firmware versions, so I'm happy to stick with the older one.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 5, 2012 12:57:21 AM

the daveman said:
Update:

Netgear tech support was fairly fast in responding, but didn't have much to offer except recommending to downgrade the firmware and test again. I waited a couple of weeks to see if they could replicate the issue in their labs (with firmware 1.1.2.2) but they still haven't got around to it.

But the good news: I downgraded to firmware 1.1.1.72 and the problem is gone. There's no other obvious differences between the two firmware versions, so I'm happy to stick with the older one.

I have the exact same problem when I updated from 1.1.1.72 to 1.1.2.2. My WNR2000v3 is about 2 years old. Tried re-installing the router and with a new SSID name after I did a factory reset but no luck.

The only workaround I found to get a secure link (which is unacceptable) is to go to the Router Configuration Utility, go to the wireless page and just click on "Apply". Preferably do this with a computer hooked up via ethernet cable to the router, but you can do it over an unsecured wireless link. The router will drop the wireless connection as it completes, but it will come back up and you can log back in securely.

I downgraded to firmware 1.1.1.72 also and everything is fine.
August 16, 2012 2:31:19 AM

Best answer selected by the daveman.
m
l
!