Nas uses up mu gb quota

kleake

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I run 2 ip cameras in one premises, I record the footage to my Synology NAS DS111 in a different premises 3miles away. I get a 500GB allowance monthly from my ISP at each premises. Problem is my ISP says I am uploading/downloading 800GB at each end. Any way I can reduce this to stay within my quota and still maintain security constantly?

kleake

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Yes indeed and Motion has been activated - Its as if the NAS [ which is 3 miles away from the ip cameras ] is constantly on the Internet. It would be great if the NAS only woke up when the motion of the Cameras prompted it to do so---Its a Synology DS 111

Depends how exactly you are doing the motion detection. If you are using the features in the nas device then all the cameras are fed to the nas 24x7 and it decides if it records the traffic or not. It of course cannot prevent the traffic because it must see it do determine if motion has occurred.

You must set the cameras themselves to only send traffic to the nas when THEY detect the motion. The cameras of course must have this feature.

If you are actually recording 800g of data then you need to watch the video and determine why you are detecting so much motion and either readjust the cameras angles or change the motion detection parameters.

kleake

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
That sounds good bill001g. I never quite got the hang of FTP sending from Ip cams to NAS --- MAYBE if this ftp was in operation things would improve. I do have Synology Nas set to "Motion Detect by Camera" but maybe its still an ftp issue.