Please Suggest a Video Card

Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system w/1024MB
ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium priced card to run
Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.

Thanks -- ned

Ned wrote:

> Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system
> w/1024MB ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium
> priced card to run Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.
>
> Thanks -- ned

You can get a geforce 6600 for well under $300au these days.

--
DalienX

Shawk wrote:
> I guess that since Ned is looking for a medium priced card he's going
> want the AGP version and not have to upgrade to a new mobo. Best bet
is
> a AGP 6600GT or there are some good deals on the 9800Pro out there.

If AGP is what you want, then I can confirm my 9800XT runs Far Cry and
HL2 at maxxed out settings.

280 IS THE CHEAPEST i have seen one.

PCIE 180 PCi :-0

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:29:29 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
wrote:

>Ned wrote:
>
>> Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system
>> w/1024MB ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium
>> priced card to run Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.
>>
>> Thanks -- ned
>
>You can get a geforce 6600 for well under $300au these days.

shawk

Digital Sheep wrote:

> 280 IS THE CHEAPEST i have seen one.
>

> PCIE 180 PCi :-0
>

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:29:29 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Ned wrote:
>>

>>>Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system
>>>w/1024MB ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium
>>>priced card to run Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.
>>>
>>>Thanks -- ned
>>
>>You can get a geforce 6600 for well under $300au these days.

I guess that since Ned is looking for a medium priced card he's going to
want the AGP version and not have to upgrade to a new mobo. Best bet is
a AGP 6600GT or there are some good deals on the 9800Pro out there.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

Shawk wrote:
> Digital Sheep wrote:
>>

>> 280 IS THE CHEAPEST i have seen one.
>>

>> PCIE 180 PCi :-0
>>

>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:29:29 GMT, "DalienX" <somewhere@earth.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You can get a geforce 6600 for well under $300au these days.
>>

> I guess that since Ned is looking for a medium priced card he's going
> to want the AGP version and not have to upgrade to a new mobo. Best
> bet is a AGP 6600GT or there are some good deals on the 9800Pro out
> there.

But he said he has an ATI X300 card, wouldn't that mean he has a PCI-E mobo
already? Or is the X300 available in AGP as well?

--

shawk

Dirty Redpool wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>>Digital Sheep wrote:
>>

>>>280 IS THE CHEAPEST i have seen one.
>>>

>>>PCIE 180 PCi :-0

>>I guess that since Ned is looking for a medium priced card he's going
>>to want the AGP version and not have to upgrade to a new mobo. Best
>>bet is a AGP 6600GT or there are some good deals on the 9800Pro out
>>there.
>

> But he said he has an ATI X300 card, wouldn't that mean he has a PCI-E mobo
> already? Or is the X300 available in AGP as well?
>
> --

My bad - misread it. AFAIK X300 is indeed PCI Express.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?

It may be onboard video and no PCI-E slot. My brothers PC has this. AGP add
on is possible.
"Dirty Redpool" <dirtredpooll@something.something> wrote in message
> Shawk wrote:
> > Digital Sheep wrote:
> >>

> >> 280 IS THE CHEAPEST i have seen one.
> >>

> >> PCIE 180 PCi :-0

> > I guess that since Ned is looking for a medium priced card he's going
> > to want the AGP version and not have to upgrade to a new mobo. Best
> > bet is a AGP 6600GT or there are some good deals on the 9800Pro out
> > there.
>
> But he said he has an ATI X300 card, wouldn't that mean he has a PCI-E
mobo
> already? Or is the X300 available in AGP as well?

> Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system w/1024MB
> ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium priced card to
> run
> Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.

ATI X700 or an Nvidia 6600 GT are both PCI-Express and can be had for under
$200.

- f_f

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Currently using an ATI X300 series card on a WXP2 P4, 3Ghz system
w/1024MB
> > ram and was wondering what you might suggest in a medium priced card to
> > run
> > Far Cry, Riddick, Pain Killer etc.
>
> ATI X700 or an Nvidia 6600 GT are both PCI-Express and can be had for
under
> $200.
>
> - f_f

Thank you all for your help with a tip of the hat to Tecknomage and DalienX.
I'm going with the Nvidia 6600 GT. -- ned

> > Thank you all for your help with a tip of the hat to Tecknomage and
> DalienX.
> > I'm going with the Nvidia 6600 GT. -- ned
> >

> Gives us some feedback on how you like your new video card when you get
it.

Happy as a clam. Removing & replacing cards took under five minutes with
only a parity problem to sort out (any help would be appreciated). The only
other problem is the bruise on my jaw where it hit the floor when I looked
at the water in Far Cry with everything turned up to high and running
smooth, smooth, smooth at 1600x1200x32. I could go on but you get the idea,
oh, and Mwave shipped mine the same day with CA 8.5 tax and shipping
totaling $210. -- ned