Deus Ex:IW Sophia Sak bug?

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

I am supposed to either kill Sophia Sak or negotiate for the release
of Sid Black's plane. I have dispatched the entire security force in
the condos as well as in the plane hangar. I can see Sophia through
the walls using my vision biomod, but she appears to be in limbo
[between the walls] waiting for a game trigger to get her out or start
a script.

Anyone else see this or have a solution? I am wondering if I need to
no-clip to get to her now, if that is even possible.

"Drifter" <nohandle@righthere.com> wrote in message
> I am supposed to either kill Sophia Sak or negotiate for the release
> of Sid Black's plane. I have dispatched the entire security force in
> the condos as well as in the plane hangar. I can see Sophia through
> the walls using my vision biomod, but she appears to be in limbo
> [between the walls] waiting for a game trigger to get her out or start
> a script.
>
> Anyone else see this or have a solution? I am wondering if I need to
> no-clip to get to her now, if that is even possible.

Have you tried www.gamesfaq.com and find the game guide/FAQ?

Also, sometimes when playing a game, it can get hosed if a trigger doesn't
get set correctly. This can sometimes result in having to reload a prior
save or restarting the level. You can try noclipping, but it might not
work. If all else fails, restart the level. This is one reason why I got
into the habit of saving the game at the start of each level.

vinCe

"OldDog"wrote

> "Drifter" wrote

>> Anyone else see this or have a solution? I am wondering if I need to
>> no-clip to get to her now, if that is even possible.

> Have you tried www.gamesfaq.com and find the game guide/FAQ?

> Also, sometimes when playing a game, it can get hosed if a trigger doesn't
> get set correctly. This can sometimes result in having to reload a prior
> save or restarting the level. You can try noclipping, but it might not
> work. If all else fails, restart the level. This is one reason why I
> got
> into the habit of saving the game at the start of each level.

Another good argument for save-anywhere.

drifter

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Deus Ex:IW allows you to save anywhere. I have a pile of saves.
Problem is, I did not notice there was a problem until after I saved
way past when the problem occured :( I usually try to keep a queue of
saves going to avoid these sorts of problems, but it would have to be
pretty deep to get me back. And at that point, are you even playing a
game?

Oh well, back to a previous level save to see if that is it. Sloppy
trigger management is just the pits.

Thanks for the input guys.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:09:46 GMT, "Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>"OldDog"wrote
>
>> "Drifter" wrote
>
>>> Anyone else see this or have a solution? I am wondering if I need to
>>> no-clip to get to her now, if that is even possible.
>
>> Have you tried www.gamesfaq.com and find the game guide/FAQ?
>
>> Also, sometimes when playing a game, it can get hosed if a trigger doesn't
>> get set correctly. This can sometimes result in having to reload a prior
>> save or restarting the level. You can try noclipping, but it might not
>> work. If all else fails, restart the level. This is one reason why I
>> got
>> into the habit of saving the game at the start of each level.
>
>Another good argument for save-anywhere.

This argument can also work against save-anywhere as well. In this case,
it's just as easy to save in an unwinnable state than otherwise (e.g. fall
down the cliff, reach for F7 to load, but accidently press the quick-save
F6.)

A save almost-anywhere is a better approach (when combined with an autosave
and save backup system) - at least for most action games. In this case,
the player can save when not in danger (e.g. not in firing range of any
active enemies, no inbound attacks, and while in a "steady" position.)
It's the best of both worlds - the player can save as often as possible as
long as it doesn't render the game immediatly unwinnable on a reload.

Not that I consider either approach to be the best...

vinCe

"Raymond Martineau" wrote
> "Vince" wrote:

>>Another good argument for save-anywhere.

> This argument can also work against save-anywhere as well. In this case,
> it's just as easy to save in an unwinnable state than otherwise (e.g. fall
> down the cliff, reach for F7 to load, but accidently press the quick-save
> F6.)

That's a possible argument against 'quicksave' not 'save anywhere'.

Vince wrote:
> "Raymond Martineau" wrote
>
>>"Vince" wrote:
>

>>>Another good argument for save-anywhere.
>

>>This argument can also work against save-anywhere as well. In this case,
>>it's just as easy to save in an unwinnable state than otherwise (e.g. fall
>>down the cliff, reach for F7 to load, but accidently press the quick-save
>>F6.)
>

> That's a possible argument against 'quicksave' not 'save anywhere'.

And if the programmers insert a (Y/N?) key press to the quicksave
process, it eliminates the problem entirely.

In <11406ac41eu1o95@corp.supernews.com> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> writes:

>Vince wrote:

>> That's a possible argument against 'quicksave' not 'save anywhere'.

>And if the programmers insert a (Y/N?) key press to the quicksave
>process, it eliminates the problem entirely.

Even simpler, if they would just NOT PUT SAVE IMMEDIATELY NEXT TO LOAD,
that would prevent 90% of such mistakes. Instead of using F9 and F10, use
F9 and F12, or some such.

Alexx

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx@carolingiaSPAMBL@CK.org http://www.panix.com/~alexx
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
[Seen on a Nancy Button, www.nancybuttons.com]

I like limited or restricted saves. It makes you much more careful when
playing the game and adds real tension, as death really is a setback.

However, the reality of the situation is that it is a game and
sometimes you need to break off mid-level. IGI was a pain to complete
because of this (that last level just got too frustrating).

I would prefer to see a limited number of save slots that could be used
anywhere. Perhaps additional save slots could be picked up in game,
much as ammo or healthpacks are. I'm not sure how that would affect the
"realism" of the game though, as you can justify keycards, ammo and
healthpacks lying around, but an abstract "save"...?