Sudden Pseudo-Failure!

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Zot! My computer's never been a speed demon, but the hard drive has always worked. And it still does. But starting last week (I don't remember doing any cataclysmic to it at that time) it began acting strangely. To explain the problem precisely: Whenever I try to delete a file, move a file, make a new folder, or make any other sort of change to the contents of my drive, it will perform the operation and then hang for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. Then it resumes normal operation. (Note that I can execute files or open word documents without encountering the hitch). While not life threatening, this problem has caused a bit of a slowdown as far as productivity goes, and rather ratty-looking finger nails.

I also did a PCMark out of curiosity a day back, and got a dreadfully low score of 230.

For reference, I have two hard drives, one a 30GB 7200RPM ATA 66 and the other a 20GB 7200RPM ATA 100.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tidbits.

- Trevor

preet

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
your CPU may be over heated, check the cpu fan and remove RAM & clean the contacts, reinstall it again

Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hello! My first drive came with my Compaq computer, but I don't know the brand of it or the other drive. If knowing the brands would really help solve my problem, I'll go ahead and open everything up, but right now I'm too lazy :)

And the two drives are on the same IDE channel. The 30GB's the master, the 20GB the slave.