Is this really a new phone? (StarTAC 7868W, Activation Req..

Tags:
  • Motorola
  • Phones
  • Product
Last response: in Brands
Share
May 2, 2004 2:53:30 AM

How do you tell if a phone is absolutely new and has never been
activated?

There is this StarTAC 7868 on eBay right now:

A hundred bucks for a previous generation model is a rather steep
price notwithstanding the StarTAC being a good, solid phone. I may
very well pay it but only if's guaranteed to be new.

Note the photos where the display says Activation Required and
Cumulative Time 0. I know that the cumulative timer CAN be reset to
zero giving the impression of not ever being used but what about that
Activation Required message....if the phone was ever activated before,
can that message be made to appear again?

More about : phone startac 7868w activation req

May 2, 2004 2:53:31 AM

Richard wrote:
:: How do you tell if a phone is absolutely new and has never been
:: activated?
::
:: There is this StarTAC 7868 on eBay right now:
:: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
::
:: A hundred bucks for a previous generation model is a rather steep
:: price notwithstanding the StarTAC being a good, solid phone. I may
:: very well pay it but only if's guaranteed to be new.
::
:: Note the photos where the display says Activation Required and
:: Cumulative Time 0. I know that the cumulative timer CAN be reset to
:: zero giving the impression of not ever being used but what about that
:: Activation Required message....if the phone was ever activated
:: before, can that message be made to appear again?

That timer cannot be reset, as far as the activation required message goes
that appears on screen when the phone does not have an active phone number
programmed into it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 5:38:09 AM

Great phone, BUT WAY TOO MANY CHEAP ONES in good shape. Ive seen some nice
ones on their for $25 and $35 . NO WAY I can see paying $100 for one.DONT DO
IT, Im gonna toss and turn all nite over this LOL.
NOTE: There is no StarTAC 7868 that you cannot unlock if it is simply a lock
code. Any Verizon or Alltel will be a reeze to deal with.

"Richard" <r@r.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell if a phone is absolutely new and has never been
> activated?
>
> There is this StarTAC 7868 on eBay right now:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> A hundred bucks for a previous generation model is a rather steep
> price notwithstanding the StarTAC being a good, solid phone. I may
> very well pay it but only if's guaranteed to be new.
>
> Note the photos where the display says Activation Required and
> Cumulative Time 0. I know that the cumulative timer CAN be reset to
> zero giving the impression of not ever being used but what about that
> Activation Required message....if the phone was ever activated before,
> can that message be made to appear again?
May 2, 2004 4:03:09 PM

On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:41:04 -0500, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
wrote:

>That timer cannot be reset, as far as the activation required message goes
>that appears on screen when the phone does not have an active phone number
>programmed into it.

Would a reset to factory defaults clear the active phone number and
therefore the activation required message would show up? There is
suppose to be a way to clearn all memory. I read somewhere about FCN
FCN this and that by which to do it.
!