Is this really a new phone? (StarTAC 7868W, Activation Req..

How do you tell if a phone is absolutely new and has never been
activated?

There is this StarTAC 7868 on eBay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64355

A hundred bucks for a previous generation model is a rather steep
price notwithstanding the StarTAC being a good, solid phone. I may
very well pay it but only if's guaranteed to be new.

Note the photos where the display says Activation Required and
Cumulative Time 0. I know that the cumulative timer CAN be reset to
zero giving the impression of not ever being used but what about that
Activation Required message....if the phone was ever activated before,
can that message be made to appear again?
4 answers Last reply
More about phone startac 7868w activation

    Richard wrote:
    :: How do you tell if a phone is absolutely new and has never been
    :: activated?
    ::
    :: There is this StarTAC 7868 on eBay right now:
    :: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64355
    ::
    :: A hundred bucks for a previous generation model is a rather steep
    :: price notwithstanding the StarTAC being a good, solid phone. I may
    :: very well pay it but only if's guaranteed to be new.
    ::
    :: Note the photos where the display says Activation Required and
    :: Cumulative Time 0. I know that the cumulative timer CAN be reset to
    :: zero giving the impression of not ever being used but what about that
    :: Activation Required message....if the phone was ever activated
    :: before, can that message be made to appear again?

    That timer cannot be reset, as far as the activation required message goes
    that appears on screen when the phone does not have an active phone number
    programmed into it.

    Oops, that link should be
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64355&item=3094504135

    Great phone, BUT WAY TOO MANY CHEAP ONES in good shape. Ive seen some nice
    ones on their for $25 and $35 . NO WAY I can see paying $100 for one.DONT DO
    IT, Im gonna toss and turn all nite over this LOL.
    NOTE: There is no StarTAC 7868 that you cannot unlock if it is simply a lock
    code. Any Verizon or Alltel will be a reeze to deal with.

    On Sat, 1 May 2004 21:41:04 -0500, "Rod" <cellular-dude@sprintpcs.com>
    wrote:

    >That timer cannot be reset, as far as the activation required message goes
    >that appears on screen when the phone does not have an active phone number
    >programmed into it.

    Would a reset to factory defaults clear the active phone number and
    therefore the activation required message would show up? There is
    suppose to be a way to clearn all memory. I read somewhere about FCN
    FCN this and that by which to do it.

Motorola Phones Product