5 routers

macmarcelo

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys, what is the most recommended set up for my routers? I have 5 routers, 1 linksys ea4500 which will be my main, and 4 linksys e2500 as my access points... what i want is that they are all in the same network and only one ssid? Is it possible? what will be my wiring connections? can it be on series or all routers connected to 1 main router? Please help... Thanks in advance... Good day everyone...

You can give them all the same SSIDs and wireless security settings, thus enabling wireless roaming. Just make sure all the e2500's have their DHCP server's disabled. You'll also want to give each of the e2500's a unique static IP in the same network as the ea4500 (so if the ea4500 is say, 192.168.1.1, perhaps make them 192.168.1.2-5). Just as long as they're not in the ea4500's DHCP pool.

At that point, you can pretty much connect them as you see fit, either all homed to the router, or perhaps one homed and the others chained, or some combination of both. Doesn't really matter. The fact they're all switched and using the same network makes it pretty much plug-n-play at that point.

P.S. A word of caution regarding wireless roaming. While it will work, it may not work as you're expecting. Whenever a wireless client selects an AP, it will (obviously) select the one w/ the strongest wireless signal. However, if that device (e.g., laptop) roams, it will NOT automatically switch to another AP w/ a stronger signal. It will CLING to the original AP until the signal is lost, completely. That's why roaming w/ wifi is only "psuedo" roaming. It's not like a cell phone network, where the signal would automatically hop cell towers long before the signal faded. It's just a limitation of wifi. The only thing you can do is disconnect/reconnect the wireless adapter to force it to change APs.