Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Speedstream 4100 modem stats

Last response: in Networking
August 21, 2012 6:46:55 AM

Hello:
RE:

These are some of the stats for my Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem and I am writing to ask if anyone can see any problems there and/or how to fix things.
My modem seems to be working well but I am getting way less than the 1.5 Meg line speed that DSL Extreme ISP promised me. Before I rush off to buy another modem I want to know if my current modem is OK, if it's a phone line problem or a cheating ISP.

My computer details:
Dell dimension 3000 39 GB NFTS
Win xp, sp3, home ed.
Model # ST340014A
Motherboard: 0K8980
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
Memory: DDR Dual 512 MB
miscel. browsers

Thanks in advance for any responses to my modem's stats and/or any questions about my system or equipment,
jim :) 
August 21, 2012 2:33:10 PM

I'm no expert on the stats provided by your modem, but from a strictly layman’s perspective, it would appear the modem is reporting a download limit of 768kbps (Max Allowed Speed – To Modem), or 0.768Mbps, roughly half of what the provider is claiming. At least based on that limited information, I would question the ISP before considering a new modem.

One thing that is curious is that those download/upload speeds (768 and 384) are nice, round, binary numbers, all multiples of 128. So unless the modem is rounding the actual throughput numbers, it almost seems those are fixed values, perhaps locked down to those speeds. Did the ISP provide this modem to you? Is this only a recent problem, or has it always been this slow?
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:45:36 PM

eibgrad said:
I'm no expert on the stats provided by your modem, but from a strictly layman’s perspective, it would appear the modem is reporting a download limit of 768kbps (Max Allowed Speed – To Modem), or 0.768Mbps, roughly half of what the provider is claiming. At least based on that limited information, I would question the ISP before considering a new modem.
One thing that is curious is that those download/upload speeds (768 and 384) are nice, round, binary numbers, all multiples of 128. So unless the modem is rounding the actual throughput numbers, it almost seems those are fixed values, perhaps locked down to those speeds. Did the ISP provide this modem to you? Is this only a recent problem, or has it always been this slow?

When I do a line speed, I usually get .66 M down .32 M up. I noticed the 768 K item but don't know if the modem is "set" to that limit or not. The modem came with an AT&T package several years ago. Gees, I wonder if it is pre-programed to only allow 768 K in???
Re: always a problem. I only recently began to question my DSL performance. It was really good at the beginning (way better than AT&T ever was!) then became worse and worse. I could watch Youtube videos all the way & then I began having to wait for the videos to "buffer". Sometimes they would hardly play so I began talking with my ISP = DSL Extreme. They tell me my modem and inside lines of my apartment seem good so I need to get a line check or a new modem to compare with my current modem. I'll start with a new modem and then go to the line check.
But it's interesting that so many ppl lodge the exact same complaints about DSL Extreme so I assumed it must be the ISP that's causing my line speeds to be bad. They have millions of excuses and "reasons" for why my line speed is not as promised! But I'll begin with changing the modem to sort it out.
thanks for responding to my modem post,
jim :) 
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 9:33:15 PM

eibgrad said:

Just want you to know that I picked up a new D-LINK modem at Fry's. It actually gets LOWER lines speed than the old Siemens!
Re: download limit of 768, I can not find anyone who knows if this is a built in feature of the modem but the newer modem didn't do any better so - go figure.
jim
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:14:56 PM

Makes me wonder if it really is the ISP to blame, not the modem.
m
l
August 23, 2012 12:54:44 AM

FYI :hello: 
I just looked at the current stats for the Siemens modem and noticed that the item: Max Allowed Speed is now up to 800 K down so this tells me that the speed is not fixed within the modem's circuitry and will change as line elements change. It's mysterious how the first line speed test I did several weeks ago was only at 340 K down but, since I've been complaining, it has now mysteriously jumped up to 800 K!

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 800 (To Modem) 384 (To Internet)
SN Margin (dB) 5.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 63.5 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 2 5

Well, the AT&T techs are coming her tomorrow to inspect the lines so I am hoping for the line speeds I am paying for at DSL Extreme.
Jim :) 
m
l

Best solution

August 23, 2012 1:44:34 AM

At least it's moving in the right direction.
August 30, 2012 3:19:32 AM

Best answer selected by jimrich.
m
l
!