Gamepad v Mouse?

Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
(esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a gamepad
I find it very annoying!

It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just I
feel I'm missing out!

Geez, even the console boys are trying to be trolls now.

<eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
> (esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a gamepad
> I find it very annoying!
>
> It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
> buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
> letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just I
> feel I'm missing out!

I've used a mouse/keyboard for shooters, and I've used a gamepad for
shooters on consoles. And as much as I tried, the gamepad just isn't as
accurate; especially when it comes to aiming.

As to moving around, in most shooters you really don't need to "delicately"
move around. Except for the few times where a game wants you to do jumping
puzzles. As to aiming, you are using a mouse right? And you can adjust
the mouse speed from Windows.

While most folks like to use WASD, I prefer ESDF. Because this is the more
conducive to the way that the left hand rests on the keyboard when typing.
Can you type? The only reason that I ask is that I can, and whenever I go
to use the WASD method, it messes me up. Either way, you probably just need
some pratice with WASD or ESDF for movement.

BTW Are you left or right handed? Most folks use their left hand for the
keyboard, therefore the WASD for keyboard control. If you use the mouse in
your left hand, try configuring the movement keys to the keypad arrows for
your right hand.

So go to the Options screen and check the movement keys. Make sure the
movement keys are configured to something like WASD or 5,4,6,2.

Now, use your middle finger to move forward on the D key. If you need to
backup, use the E key with your middle finger. Or if you prefer the C key.

Use your pointing finger on the F key to strafe right. Use your fourth
finger on the S key to strafe left. So it's just 3 fingers to move around.
Oh, and your thumb is resting on the space bar to jump.

Plus, sometimes you'll need two fingers at the same time to circle strafe.
Oh, more more thing. You also use the mouse to change the direction that
you are moving in. I never use the keys that change your look/view. Use
the mouse instead.

Finally bring up CoD and pratice the first training mission with the
movement keys. After awhile you should get pretty good at tapping the keys
to barely move, and holding them down to run like the wind. You can also
pratice hitting the targets with the mouse during this level.

hope this helps
OldDog

eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
> (esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a gamepad
> I find it very annoying!
>
> It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
> buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
> letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just I
> feel I'm missing out!

Stop masterbating while playing games...

nostromo

Thus spake eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk, 21 Mar 2005 11:32:40 -0800, Anno Domini:

>Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
>(esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a gamepad
>I find it very annoying!
>
>It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
>buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
>letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just I
>feel I'm missing out!

2/10

Rocky

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk, 21 Mar 2005 11:32:40 -0800, Anno Domini:
>
> >Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
> >(esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a gamepad
> >I find it very annoying!
> >
> >It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
> >buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
> >letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just I
> >feel I'm missing out!
>
> 2/10

Yep, I agree.

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net |

__

Like I said .. maybe Im missing something here. But, sure, with the
school holidays coming up youngsters can get a bit over-excited.

That said, OldDog ... thanks for the good advice .. appreciate it.

Cheers,
Eppie

"eppie2112" <eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Like I said .. maybe Im missing something here. But, sure, with the
> school holidays coming up youngsters can get a bit over-excited.
>
> That said, OldDog ... thanks for the good advice .. appreciate it.
>
> Cheers,
> Eppie

No problem. I've been thinking about the current crop of computer
interface devices: joystick, keyboard, mouse, ... Since I like to play
FPS, I'm hoping that one day I won't use a keyboard or mouse. Someone will
release an M4 lightgun that the I can hold and aim at my widescreen monitor.
I'll have a belt that I wear which acts as the interface for canteen,
grenade, and med kit. I'll stand on a trend mill type device and have to
run and hop on it to move around on screen.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:46:41 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

> I'll stand on a trend mill type device and have to
>run and hop on it to move around on screen.

Bit old for that, aren't you?

shawk

OldDog wrote:
> "eppie2112" <eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Like I said .. maybe Im missing something here. But, sure, with the
>>school holidays coming up youngsters can get a bit over-excited.
>>
>>That said, OldDog ... thanks for the good advice .. appreciate it.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Eppie
>

> No problem. I've been thinking about the current crop of computer
> interface devices: joystick, keyboard, mouse, ... Since I like to play
> FPS, I'm hoping that one day I won't use a keyboard or mouse. Someone will
> release an M4 lightgun that the I can hold and aim at my widescreen monitor.
> I'll have a belt that I wear which acts as the interface for canteen,
> grenade, and med kit. I'll stand on a trend mill type device and have to
> run and hop on it to move around on screen.

Sounds exhausting :)

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

> OldDog wrote:
> > "eppie2112" <eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >>Like I said .. maybe Im missing something here. But, sure, with the
> >>school holidays coming up youngsters can get a bit over-excited.
> >>
> >>That said, OldDog ... thanks for the good advice .. appreciate it.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Eppie
> >

> > No problem. I've been thinking about the current crop of computer
> > interface devices: joystick, keyboard, mouse, ... Since I like to
play
> > FPS, I'm hoping that one day I won't use a keyboard or mouse. Someone
will
> > release an M4 lightgun that the I can hold and aim at my widescreen
monitor.
> > I'll have a belt that I wear which acts as the interface for canteen,
> > grenade, and med kit. I'll stand on a trend mill type device and have
> > run and hop on it to move around on screen.
> >

> Sounds exhausting :)

This OldDog needs something to get me up off my fat lazy behind.

"Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:46:41 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>
> > I'll stand on a trend mill type device and have to
> >run and hop on it to move around on screen.
> >

> Bit old for that, aren't you?

I'm hoping that I can configure the softward drivers for 'geezer' mode. If
I take one step, that's the same as 50 in the game. :)
If I hop 1 inch, that's the same as 10 ft in the game.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:25:21 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>I'm hoping that I can configure the softward drivers for 'geezer' mode. If
>I take one step, that's the same as 50 in the game. :)
>If I hop 1 inch, that's the same as 10 ft in the game.

That could really work well for a Superhero type game. I think your
onto something. Patent it quick.

Nostromo wrote:
> Thus spake eppie2112@yahoo.co.uk, 21 Mar 2005 11:32:40 -0800, Anno
Domini:

> >Maybe I am missing something but I just can't function playing games
> >(esp FPSs) with the mouse and a sCall of Duty doesnt support a
gamepad
> >I find it very annoying!
> >
> >It is a complete wrench to have to try and delicately move around
> >buildings etc with a mouse in one hand and trying to hit the write
> >letters with the other!! Am I not understanding something here? Just
> >feel I'm missing out!

I remember my mum trying to play Horace Goes Skiing on the Spectrum.
She'd look at the screen,work out where to go, then look at the
keyboard and look for the right key to press. I'm amazed she didn't
refer to the manual every time.

Equally, I could play Elite much better using the keyboard, instead of
the joystick. I just ad... fingertip control. All the functions within
easy reach. I could lock and fire missiles without dropping attention
from the screen, whilst still steering the ship.

Now, I can't image playing a FPS without A-W-D-S, R for reload, ctrl
for Crouch, shift for run and space for jump. MouseLook is essential,
and primary fire is MB1, weapon switch=MW or number keys for instant
selection.

Gamepad? Jeez, on the rare occasions when I play on a console, I might
as well be holding a banana for all the use it is. Fighting games are
fun - I just press the buttons as fast as I can and see what happens.

I know non-gaming users who move around spreadsheets and word
processors using just the keyboard. They learnt on DOS programs before
mice were a standard bit of kit, and they've never lost that
habit/skill.

I guess it's what you get used to. I'm sure if I played on a console
for long enough I'd learn to use a controller. Likewise, if you broke
yours and had to use the keyboard, you'd get used to it eventually.

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:25:21 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>

> >I'm hoping that I can configure the softward drivers for 'geezer' mode.
If
> >I take one step, that's the same as 50 in the game. :)
> >If I hop 1 inch, that's the same as 10 ft in the game.
> >
> That could really work well for a Superhero type game. I think your
> onto something. Patent it quick.

Have you seen the EyeToy for the PS2?

My daughter has one. She stands in front of the TV with the EyeToy aimed
at her. The EyeToy shows her in the game. When she moves her hand up to
hit something on the screen... Bang! I've tried it and after a few mins,
my arms are tired. :)

We also have a lightgun for TimeCrisis (PS2). Now that thing is cool.

What do I have for my pc? A mouse. :(

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:10:36 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Have you seen the EyeToy for the PS2?
>
>My daughter has one. She stands in front of the TV with the EyeToy aimed
>at her. The EyeToy shows her in the game. When she moves her hand up to
>hit something on the screen... Bang! I've tried it and after a few mins,
>my arms are tired. :)

No, I haven't seen that and I'm not sure I really want to either. :)

>We also have a lightgun for TimeCrisis (PS2). Now that thing is cool.

I had a light gun for Nintendo 8bit system for skeeter shooting way
back.

>What do I have for my pc? A mouse. :(

I've got force feedback stick, force feedback wheel, regular stick,
three gamepads, plus the mouse.

shawk

OldDog wrote:
> "Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:25:21 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm hoping that I can configure the softward drivers for 'geezer' mode.
>
> If
>
>>>I take one step, that's the same as 50 in the game. :)
>>>If I hop 1 inch, that's the same as 10 ft in the game.
>>>

>>That could really work well for a Superhero type game. I think your
>>onto something. Patent it quick.
>

> Have you seen the EyeToy for the PS2?
>
> My daughter has one. She stands in front of the TV with the EyeToy aimed
> at her. The EyeToy shows her in the game. When she moves her hand up to
> hit something on the screen... Bang! I've tried it and after a few mins,
> my arms are tired. :)
>
> We also have a lightgun for TimeCrisis (PS2). Now that thing is cool.
>
> What do I have for my pc? A mouse. :(

Aah, but mice are small, light, easily moved and you can rest your arm
on the desk... my kind of sport :)

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?

> I've got force feedback stick, force feedback wheel, regular stick,
> three gamepads, plus the mouse.

and how many hands? :p

a mouse and a nice stick do it ALL for me (ok, i only play shooters and sims
(simulators LOL)

f r e e

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:04:33 +0100, "F r e e" <free@spam.nothanx>
wrote:

>and how many hands? :p

I forgot to mention I only use one at a time.

>a mouse and a nice stick do it ALL for me (ok, i only play shooters and sims
>(simulators LOL)

I need the wheel for racing sims and the gamepads are for sports games
like Fifa 2005 etc.

> OldDog wrote:
> > "Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message

> > If

> >>That could really work well for a Superhero type game. I think your
> >>onto something. Patent it quick.
> >

> > Have you seen the EyeToy for the PS2?
> >
> > My daughter has one. She stands in front of the TV with the EyeToy
aimed
> > at her. The EyeToy shows her in the game. When she moves her hand up
> > hit something on the screen... Bang! I've tried it and after a few
mins,
> > my arms are tired. :)
> >
> > We also have a lightgun for TimeCrisis (PS2). Now that thing is cool.
> >
> > What do I have for my pc? A mouse. :(
> >

> Aah, but mice are small, light, easily moved and you can rest your arm
> on the desk... my kind of sport :)

The mouse is ok. But I wish there was something else besides the keyboard.
I want something for my feet too. Trying to run, strafe, jump, and switch
from the rifle to a grenade is a little awkward with just one hand on the
keyboard.

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:10:36 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>

> >Have you seen the EyeToy for the PS2?
> >
> >My daughter has one. She stands in front of the TV with the EyeToy
aimed
> >at her. The EyeToy shows her in the game. When she moves her hand up
> >hit something on the screen... Bang! I've tried it and after a few
mins,
> >my arms are tired. :)
>
> No, I haven't seen that and I'm not sure I really want to either. :)
>
> >We also have a lightgun for TimeCrisis (PS2). Now that thing is cool.
>
> I had a light gun for Nintendo 8bit system for skeeter shooting way
> back.
>
> >What do I have for my pc? A mouse. :(
>
> I've got force feedback stick, force feedback wheel, regular stick,
> three gamepads, plus the mouse.

But no EyeToy. I want to connect it up to my pc so I can see my handsome
face in the games. ;-)

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:26:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>But no EyeToy. I want to connect it up to my pc so I can see my handsome
>face in the games. ;-)

<shudder>

shawk

OldDog wrote:

> The mouse is ok. But I wish there was something else besides the keyboard.
> I want something for my feet too. Trying to run, strafe, jump, and switch
> from the rifle to a grenade is a little awkward with just one hand on the
> keyboard.

Goddamn boy - you must be hell on wheels in a deathmatch!! :)

BTW - you can do the above with one finger on 'w' (running), another on
'a' or 'd' (strafing) and your thumb on the spacebar (jumping) while at
the same time switching weapons with a mousewheel.

Dont know what I'll do when the old arthritis sets in though - feeling
the twinges occassionally now :-(

--

> OldDog wrote:
>

> > The mouse is ok. But I wish there was something else besides the
keyboard.
> > I want something for my feet too. Trying to run, strafe, jump, and
switch
> > from the rifle to a grenade is a little awkward with just one hand on
the
> > keyboard.
> >

> Goddamn boy - you must be hell on wheels in a deathmatch!! :)

I use to be... but now if I have to hit more than one key with my left hand,
then my hand get's a cramp, my arthritis flares up, and I get spasms in my
forearm. ;-)

The real problem that I find is that if i have to hit a key that's not on
the typing position for my left hand (asdf-zxcv-qwert), then it distracts
from the game. I have to stop, look at the keyboard and find the key that
I need on the right hand side. And some games like Joint Ops have a ton of
keys to use during game play.

Oh, and I think I am getting a touch of arthritis in my wrists. :(

> BTW - you can do the above with one finger on 'w' (running), another on
> 'a' or 'd' (strafing) and your thumb on the spacebar (jumping) while at
> the same time switching weapons with a mousewheel.

Oh and I left out, send a squad text msg to my team. ;-)

Now that I think about it, I've got a copy of 'Game Commander' on one of my
CDs. But there's two problems that I recall with this type program.

1. it's a little slow on recognizing the voice cmd
2. sometimes it interrepts the wrong voice cmd.

www.gamecommander.com/

Maybe it's time to see if they've updated the program since I tried it which
was about 2 years ago.

> Dont know what I'll do when the old arthritis sets in though - feeling
> the twinges occassionally now :-(
>
> --
> I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
> 'done it'...
> What do you mean?
> Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
> Yes...
> What's it like?

Andrew

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:55:45 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Now that I think about it, I've got a copy of 'Game Commander' on one of my
>CDs. But there's two problems that I recall with this type program.
>
>1. it's a little slow on recognizing the voice cmd
>2. sometimes it interrepts the wrong voice cmd.

I have a MS Gamevoice controller and it works pretty well and is fast
at recognising the commands. I don't use it for basic FPS games, but
for games with umpteen keys to remember, it can be very useful.