Firmware Virus?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get this, I had a refurbished system come back (out of warrantee) after a year and the BIOS reported the 2.1GB Fujitsu drive as 6.4! So I tried it in another system, which also reported it as 6.4! So I tried an identicle drive that I know did not have the same problem, and IT was reported as 6.4. Now, 6.4 was the largest available size for this drive, but this is the 2.1GB version. One other think to note was that after installing the drive in the other system, I was no longer able to use the "User Defined" values, all the manual settings for user define were locked out! My question is, is there a C1H type virus out their that infects drive firmware?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
There is only one <A HREF="http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/viruses/cih.xml" target="_new">CIH Virus</A> that I know of which is the old W95/CIH.1003. It very old and any virus scan should clean it. I think it is date activated on the 26th on the month. That is the only CIH virus that McAfee & Norton has reported to date.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No new viruses that use similar tactics to rewrite the HDD firmware? Maybe I discovered something?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I hope you haven't, because that would really SUCK! :frown:

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, the drives are both MPB3021AT model, which means their 2.1GB. BIOS is reading them as MPB3064AT model drives, which would be 6.4GB. They haven't been changed, it has to be a firware bug, whether caused by a virus or by some type of electrical damage.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
It just passed my mind that you can change the HD's electronic board with another one. I mean if you can find another 2.1 GB of the exact same make, model, revision, etc. you can swap the boards (the firmware is located there, right?) and see what happens...But I think that would need a thorough search.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know, I went through a whole truckload of systems with these drives last year, only 2 had mechanical failures, the rest of the bad drives wouldn't detect. I think I had a total of 7 or 8 bad drives from that shipment.