Solved

Migration from Win2k to Win7

Hi community,

I have a couple of computers running Win2k.
Despite the fact that I have to check whether they can run Win7 (if I add some RAM, I think they would) I'd like to know if there is a way of migrating all the installed Software to Win7.

On my Mac it was just plugging in the old HDD unto the USB- port, installing the new OSX and then telling OSX to migrate settings and data from the external drive (I bought a new HDD for my computer and then installed the new OS).

So I thought, that there might be a way for Windows similar to that one in OSX.

Cheers,

user777
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about migration win2k win7
  1. Simple way would be to export all your data to a USB device then do a clean install of windows 7. A lot of people had problems with upgrade versions of Windows 7 - though this wont be an option to you - last time I looked it was only possible from XP or Vista.
  2. Too bad, in that case, I think a clean install is the best way. And then I'll reinstall all the software.

How about a clean install of Win7 and all the other programs I need and then using a program that saves the relevant data from the Win2k registry and then adds them to the registry after Win7 is installed?
  3. Best answer
    "How about a clean install of Win7 and all the other programs I need and then using a program that saves the relevant data from the Win2k registry and then adds them to the registry after Win7 is installed? "

Do not do this as the registry may be somewheat different from WIN2k and Windows 7. If you did export your registry and try to import it into windows 7 it may work but it also may screw up your OS.

Like what Ulysses35 mentioned, just copy or export your data to a USB drive and then do a clean install.

Also, some of the programs you are using on your Win2K may not be compatible with Windows 7- so you may want to double check those programs before you do anything with their respective websites, or they may need a newer version.
  4. Do not simply assume all your programs will work with Win 7.

Even MS's Office 2003 and Office 2007 has some issues, especially Outlook.
  5. Best answer selected by user777.
  6. Thanks alot!
    I agree, working directly on the Registry may be risky. Moreover, there is a chance, that the Version installed on Win2k does not work with Win7. Thus it's better to check with the software- vendor, whether there is a new release for Win7 (or if I have to use XP (whereever it is still sold) , since I don't expect them using Vista).

Cheers,
    user777
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Hard Drives Windows 7 Mac OS X