Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Migration from Win2k to Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
February 9, 2010 7:40:17 PM

Hi community,

I have a couple of computers running Win2k.
Despite the fact that I have to check whether they can run Win7 (if I add some RAM, I think they would) I'd like to know if there is a way of migrating all the installed Software to Win7.

On my Mac it was just plugging in the old HDD unto the USB- port, installing the new OSX and then telling OSX to migrate settings and data from the external drive (I bought a new HDD for my computer and then installed the new OS).

So I thought, that there might be a way for Windows similar to that one in OSX.

Cheers,

user777

More about : migration win2k win7

a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2010 7:56:25 PM

Simple way would be to export all your data to a USB device then do a clean install of windows 7. A lot of people had problems with upgrade versions of Windows 7 - though this wont be an option to you - last time I looked it was only possible from XP or Vista.

m
l
February 9, 2010 8:06:04 PM

Too bad, in that case, I think a clean install is the best way. And then I'll reinstall all the software.

How about a clean install of Win7 and all the other programs I need and then using a program that saves the relevant data from the Win2k registry and then adds them to the registry after Win7 is installed?

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2010 8:16:31 PM

"How about a clean install of Win7 and all the other programs I need and then using a program that saves the relevant data from the Win2k registry and then adds them to the registry after Win7 is installed? "

Do not do this as the registry may be somewheat different from WIN2k and Windows 7. If you did export your registry and try to import it into windows 7 it may work but it also may screw up your OS.

Like what Ulysses35 mentioned, just copy or export your data to a USB drive and then do a clean install.

Also, some of the programs you are using on your Win2K may not be compatible with Windows 7- so you may want to double check those programs before you do anything with their respective websites, or they may need a newer version.
a b $ Windows 7
February 10, 2010 3:04:14 AM

Do not simply assume all your programs will work with Win 7.

Even MS's Office 2003 and Office 2007 has some issues, especially Outlook.
m
l
February 11, 2010 6:51:54 AM

Best answer selected by user777.
m
l
February 11, 2010 6:59:05 AM

Thanks alot!
I agree, working directly on the Registry may be risky. Moreover, there is a chance, that the Version installed on Win2k does not work with Win7. Thus it's better to check with the software- vendor, whether there is a new release for Win7 (or if I have to use XP (whereever it is still sold) , since I don't expect them using Vista).

Cheers,
user777

m
l
!