UNC path descriptor for the following... ?

dbotas

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I am having trouble figuring out the UNC path for the following situation:

On our LAN, we have a windows 2003 file server called "Pluto". On the server is one hard drive with two partitions: C: and data1. Data1 is mapped on C: as a shared drive called "Data" and shows up as such in Windows Explorer.

In order to backup the contents of Data1 (to our JungleDisk offsite backup) I need to map it with an UNC path descriptor but can't seem to get it right.

Can anyone advise as to what the UNC should be?

thanks in advance,

db

Solution
Look at the folder that is being shared. If you right-click on it, in the sharing tab it will tell you what the share name is.

Then use \\servername\sharename to connect to it. If you can't, one of those is wrong. Or the computer you are doing this from is not on the same network as the server.

dbotas

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I guess I am not sure what it is that I exactly have now ... it was set up by someone else in the past...)

I guess it is a C:\\Data mapped network share of some sort ... that connects to the data1 partition but what I should create for JungleDisk's use as you suggest with net use is a networked drive with a drive letter.

I'm not whoopy at this ... appreciate your advice...

db

dbotas

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I tried ur suggestions. No luck. The error was: "there may be a typo in the UNC path"

With ur net use command the error was: the network name can not be found

Took a closer look at c:\data

It is a Mounted Volume with it's target being the partition data1

Jungle disk is looking for a Network Share.

How does that affect what I am trying to do?

Db[/b]

Look at the folder that is being shared. If you right-click on it, in the sharing tab it will tell you what the share name is.

Then use \\servername\sharename to connect to it. If you can't, one of those is wrong. Or the computer you are doing this from is not on the same network as the server.

Solution

dbotas

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I am trying to direct the JungleDisk backup application that is running on the server to backup this folder share to its online backup servers.

Does that make a difference that although the JD software is running on the LAN, the backup location is not on the same LAN but on the cloud ...?

Does not matter where you are backing up to, what matters is that you know how to connect to it. Whoever setup the online backup would know how to connect to it. Or the support for whatever service you are using. There is no way for anyone outside of your company to know what the server path would be for your backups if they are not stored on your servers.