Sign in with
Your question

HDD Speed (RPM)

Last response: in Storage
July 30, 2002 2:01:18 PM

Is there any Software utility to Check RPMs (rotations per minute) of Hard Disk Drive

More about : hdd speed rpm

July 30, 2002 2:27:56 PM

If there is its probably in the hardrive diagnostics disk for your particular brand of hardrive, I know for sure there are RAM and MB identifiers, but I haven't seen a hardrive identifier, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You may also find the info you're looking for by running SI Software Sandra benchmarking tool, try looking for what you need at <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com&lt;/A>
July 30, 2002 7:09:06 PM

You need to know the make and model of your HD. If you know it or can easily read it over the back of the unit itself, ask here or go to the manufacturer's website and you'll find out the exact specs of it (and not just the rotation speed).

But if you don't know any info about the HD, there are several ways to find out: You can set the BIOS to Auto detect it and upon POST, it will show the model/model number/at least a code string: e.g. my HD is shown as MAXTOR6L040J2 which means I have a Maxtor D740X-6L 40 GB ball bearing 7200rpm 2MB cache hard drive that in my case has one platter of 40 GB size (say all that in one breath!) (I could've found all this in Maxtor's website but I had previously read a review of this HD in another site).

You can also check Windows' device manager and it will probably list the same string the BIOS detected and displayed. You can also use SiSoft Sandra or similiar tools to find it out. Then you can just find the specs or ask about it here...

And really, there are only a handful of HD manufacturers (old and new) and it won't be too difficult to search...

Ah, forgot to tell you another way for it: If it sounds loud, it's probably a 7200rpm :wink: (Then again, not necessarily, Seagate Barracuda IV is virtually silent!)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 07/30/02 11:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 31, 2002 3:44:32 AM

If you knew the Manuf, and model of the HDD you can get that info from www.Pricewatch.com

just type in the info in their search box, and u get all sorts of descriptions on your needs.
!