blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
O.k...so far from what I saw in this forum. It seems that TBSC is pretty good in terms of the quality of sound. However, how does that compare to the APU on Nforce mobo? In general, I would use my computer for dvd,gaming, music and watching videos...what would you guys recommend? I think I'm aiming for 5.1 sound cards b/c of dvd. DTS sounds quite good, but does anyone know whether DTS is much supported and whether it DOES provide better sound or not?
Thanks in advance for all the advise/info!

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I have no idea how these sound cards compare to the onboard on the nForce.

Sounds like you wanna use the sound card for just about everything under the sun. I'd recommend a Hercules GTXP as the best bang for the buck there. Same chipset as the TBSC only the GTXP uses the breakout box which you might find usefull since you do so much with your computer. Audigy will also work well though. You might wanna find a place you can try both on a nice set of speakers.

Heh, my compusa recently did a demo where they had both hooked up on Klipsh 5.1's. Made me realize what i'm missing in speakers since i'm using the Logitech Z-560's.

I still have yet to hear the nForce boards audio....no clue what it sounds like.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
well, as for the TBSC, i put one in my system today and it has awesome performance. I don't think you would be dissapointed in the GTXP, audigy, or TBSC. All have great sound quality in my experience. (minute differences)

The only thing to be aware of is driver problems with creative, however, this also is overdone and its not as big of an issue as some people make appear.

<font color=blue> "You can observe a lot just by watchin'." </font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"only with via motherboards"

You're so close to being 100% correct, that it's insignificant. 99.5% roundz up to 100%.

F*********ck.

/me wishes it was different. Damn islanders refuse to pay the bribes/kickbacks that are necessary for proper operation...

deon63

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Yes, DTS is better. Search Tom's and read for yourself. One other thing, most DVD's come with DTS now and some (music) even with ONLY DTS (and not Dolby). The majority, of course, is still Dolby.

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Mmm...I heard from some people that one of the reasons they choose TBSC or GTXP is that they offer better quality of sound but the price is cheaper than creative stuff. However, I just checked my local dealer store and realized that they don't have TBSC...they only offer GTXP or creative stuff and some other sound cards I never heard off....but GTXP is actually more expensive than creative audigy! I can't believe it....how does the price look in the u.s?
P.S: I live in Canada right now..(but might move to u.s soon in the future...heehee.)

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Black, are you comparing the GTXP to an audigy without a breakout box? Then yes the audigy would be cheaper.

Compare the Santa Cruz to the Audigy mp3 and Audigy gamer cards.

Compare the Herculees GTXP to the Audigy platinum EX. card Here in the US the Plat EX is 110 dollars more in retail stores than the Herc GTXP. And the only thing the audigy comes with the GTXP doesnt is a remote...

Not sure on this DTS stuff...honestly i wouldn't worry about it unless your into Music DVD's alot it sounds like. I don't know what supports it.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

blackhades

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks a lot.
Yah...I didn't realize the mistake I made until you pointed out.
It seems that no one actually compares the APU on Nforce to the market sound cards...I haven't found review or heard any words about how APU of Nforce compare to the sound cards..but I'm not giving up on searching yet. If anyone knows anything about it...please help1
Thanks in advance!

P.S: I really love this forum...I learned a great deal here!

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Hi Blackhades,

according to my memory there is no sound card that support dts hardware decode, nforce has Dolby hardware decode only.

If you want a good solution for game and dvd you can try the sblive 5.1 then digital out-put to an amp. that support both dts and dolby.

However, although Windvd and Powerdvd could decode Dolby and dts..but i recommand hardware decode is better than software decode.

good luck ^^