good Scott Dorsey article in Recording this month

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 19, 2004 1:38:36 AM

another classic from Mr. Dorsey... a new kind of distortion
measurement. check it out....
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 12:54:54 PM

In article <6c38b64b.0408182038.327e2b30@posting.google.com> genericaudioperson@hotmail.com writes:

> another classic from Mr. Dorsey... a new kind of distortion
> measurement. check it out....

Hasn't the GedLee measurement already been discussed and dismissed
here a while back?

August 19, 2004 1:05:35 PM

In article <znr1092916429k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <6c38b64b.0408182038.327e2b30@posting.google.com> genericaudioperson@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> another classic from Mr. Dorsey... a new kind of distortion
>> measurement. check it out....
>
>Hasn't the GedLee measurement already been discussed and dismissed
>here a while back?

It was discussed here. I don't think anyone but Phil dismissed it.
It's certainly not perfect, and I doubt you will ever see it on data
sheets, but it's a step in the right direction.
--scott

August 19, 2004 1:56:30 PM

> In article <6c38b64b.0408182038.327e2b30@posting.google.com>
> genericaudioperson@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> another classic from Mr. Dorsey... a new kind of distortion
>> measurement. check it out....
>
> Hasn't the GedLee measurement already been discussed and dismissed
> here a while back?

Indeed. I have the AES papers. I wonder if either or both will make the
Journal.

Questions, anybody?
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:10:32 PM

> In article <znr1092916429k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
> >In article <6c38b64b.0408182038.327e2b30@posting.google.com>
genericaudioperson@hotmail.com writes:

> >> another classic from Mr. Dorsey... a new kind of distortion
> >> measurement. check it out....
> >
> >Hasn't the GedLee measurement already been discussed and dismissed
> >here a while back?
>
> It was discussed here. I don't think anyone but Phil dismissed it.
> It's certainly not perfect, and I doubt you will ever see it on data
> sheets, but it's a step in the right direction.

There's a paper in the newest JAES offering another new distortion
measurement that criticizes the GedLee method pretty severely.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:10:33 PM

Paul Stamler <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It was discussed here. I don't think anyone but Phil dismissed it.
>> It's certainly not perfect, and I doubt you will ever see it on data
>> sheets, but it's a step in the right direction.
>
>There's a paper in the newest JAES offering another new distortion
>measurement that criticizes the GedLee method pretty severely.

That's another step in the right direction!
--scott

August 19, 2004 7:41:58 PM

tell me the GedLee measure ment has nothing to do with Rush
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:41:59 PM

Mondoslug1 <mondoslug1@aol.comwaht> wrote:
>tell me the GedLee measure ment has nothing to do with Rush

No, different Geddes and Lee. Or do you mean that conservative guy with
the RE-20?
--scott
August 19, 2004 7:41:59 PM

"Mondoslug1" <mondoslug1@aol.comwaht> wrote in message

> tell me the GedLee measure ment has nothing to do with Rush

In what sense?
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:09:16 AM

> No, different Geddes and Lee. Or do you mean that conservative guy with
> the RE-20?
> --scott

i was wondering what the sonic differences between the gold re-20 and
my matte grey one are . . . fatter bottem end perhaps?

cd /..
saint louis meo
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:05:03 AM

"Mondoslug1" <mondoslug1@aol.comwaht> wrote in message
> tell me the GedLee measure ment has nothing to do with Rush

No, the GeddyLee distortion measurement (another widely-regarded unit of
measurement that you are apparently thinking of) only pertains to
frequencies above 75 Khz. The most common reference chart is found below:

- Makes Dogs roll over repeatedly while trying to cover ears with paws =
1-2 GeddyLee's
- Knocks Bats right out of the sky = 3-4 GeddyLee's
- Interferes with microwave TV transmissions = 5-6 GeddyLee's
- Causes the Sun to reverse on it's rotational axis = 7-8 GeddyLee's

No case for anything above 8 GeddyLee's has ever been postulated, as at
that point the world as we know it, would end anyway.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Neil wrote:

>"Mondoslug1" <mondoslug1@aol.comwaht> wrote in message
>> tell me the GedLee measure ment has nothing to do with Rush
>
>No, the GeddyLee distortion measurement (another widely-regarded unit of
>measurement that you are apparently thinking of) only pertains to
>frequencies above 75 Khz. The most common reference chart is found below:
>
>- Makes Dogs roll over repeatedly while trying to cover ears with paws =
>1-2 GeddyLee's
>- Knocks Bats right out of the sky = 3-4 GeddyLee's
>- Interferes with microwave TV transmissions = 5-6 GeddyLee's
>- Causes the Sun to reverse on it's rotational axis = 7-8 GeddyLee's
>
>No case for anything above 8 GeddyLee's has ever been postulated, as at
>that point the world as we know it, would end anyway.
>--

Hey thanks for clearing that up Neil!
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 1:01:21 PM

In article <c38f11eb.0408192009.32c8943d@posting.google.com> chrisdec@swbell.net writes:

> i was wondering what the sonic differences between the gold re-20 and
> my matte grey one are . . . fatter bottem end perhaps?

Maybe fatter bottom LINE.