Memory installation on P2B 440BX AGPset

instinct

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I'm using an old Pentium II 233MHz. Last week, I was thinking of upgrading the RAM from 64Mb to something larger. I borrow a piece of 128Mb from my friend and want to test it out on my board to make sure it work before buying it. I just take out my existing 64Mb and plug in the 128Mb. When I switch on my PC, it won't boot and give me that beep beep sound as if the board can't initialise the memory. So, I guess the RAM won't work with my board. So I decide to plug in back my old 64Mb RAM and to my disgrace, I get the same beep beep sound and my PC won't boot ;-(. Is there a specific way or sequence I should follow to insert RAM into the DIMM slot? Any possibility what went wrong? Please help.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
I gues you put the stick in the slot where was your old RAM stick, OK?
The first reason it won't start is that you've been transposed something. Check the cables and push down the cards into the slots.
I had an old PC with P166MMX and Ali IV+ chipset. It ran with one SDRAM PC133 128 MB(8 chips at the stick) and one SDRAM PC66 32 MB. So, as you may guess, the size is not the reason your PC doesn't start. I hope you're not burned your RAM modules with static electricity?

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

instinct

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
eerrr... "put the stick in the slot where was your old RAM stick"?? What do u mean actually? I was just wondering did I burn the board circuit when I first insert the 128MB RAM for testing. Because I don't think the 128MB RAM is SDRAM since I got it from a Pentium III PC. I've check all the cable and it's OK.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
You can be sure that it is indeed SDRAM if it came from a P3 machine, most every P3 used SDRAM. Oh, and it wouldn't have fit into an SDRAM slot had it not been that type.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you even bother to read the FAQ at the top post of this forum before asking stupid questions?

Yes, there are stupid questions my friend, when the answer is there and you refuse to read it.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

instinct

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
The will it be the different voltage in the RAM? Cause I've downloaded the board manual and it's recommended to use 3.3v. What else u think can go wrong? I've no clue why it still won't start.

instinct

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Crashman, sorry but I'm kinda new here. Can you kindly refer me to which FAQ? U mean the my problem is already in the FAQ? Where? Please help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just read the whole thing, none of your guesses make sense. It could be a problem with density, but there isn't any reason why your board wouldn't fire back up with the old stuff.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS