Suggestions to expand wireless?

y2hbk

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey everyone. I have a Netgear WNDR3400 running WRT-DD firmware on the 2nd level of my house. To get internet to the basement I have a basic rocketfish powerline setup which works great.

The 1st floor, however, has poor signal on some devices. My ipad can see the 2.4 and 5GHz bands no problem, but my wife's laptop and tablet must have poor wireless cards because they cant see the 5GHz band at all unless I go up to the 2nd floor and the 2.4 band generally has 1-2 bars. She gets a lot of disconnects too on the 1st floor.

I purchased an extender, the Netgear WN3000RPT, and the thing is horrible. In the event that I can get anything to actually connect to it, everything loads at dial up speeds. I spent all night last night trying to screw around with it and gave up.

Does anyone know if there is a powerline extender that anyone makes? I found this one from Netgear but im not sure if it will work with the rocketfish setup I have and its listed as "coming soon." http://netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XWN5001.aspx

If not, any other suggestions? Would another WNDR3400 be the best bet and bridge them?

y2hbk

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

I was trying to avoid having to purchase another powerline adapter *and* another router to keep costs down, but this may be the best route. It looks like most of the range extenders I find that are more of an all in one solution like the WN3000RPT wont extend the 5GHz band.