MOTU 8282II as live mixer/recorder

Last response: in Home Audio
August 19, 2004 10:17:24 PM

Anybody here ever tried using a MOTU 828II as a live band PA mixer?

My thoughts are to use an Behringer ADA8000 to preamp 8 mics on drums,
guitars & vocals, down the lightpipe to the MOTU828II to be joined by the 2
built-in preamps & lines - maybe the lineins could be used as FX returns if
I were to keep 1 or 2 pairs of inputs for FX sends. I read that there are 8
outputs which can pump out 4 different stereo mixes so I am thinking 1 mix
to power amps & 3 monitor mixes.

While the MOTU pumps out the mixes & streams the audio over firewire to my
laptop, I am thinking the laptop may be able to do a little more by way of
controlling the mix in place of a traditional desk.

When I want to later I can then remix/produce the captured audio at my
leisure.

Am I completely mad & missed the point? I only require pretty basic set-up
for live PA anyway...

Thanks
Eddie
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 10:26:04 PM

In article <U86Vc.211145$a8.17185@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk> eddiejcooper@hotmail.com writes:

> While the MOTU pumps out the mixes & streams the audio over firewire to my
> laptop, I am thinking the laptop may be able to do a little more by way of
> controlling the mix in place of a traditional desk.

You're talking live-in-the-studio, aren't you, where you can stop when
the computer crashes or you need to check something in the manual or
something else unpredictable happens, and do a re-take?

I would think that using this setup to feed what an audience hears in
a real live show would be a very bad idea.

> Am I completely mad & missed the point? I only require pretty basic set-up
> for live PA anyway...

You may not need many inputs and outputs, but you need bullet-proof
reliability and I wouldn't trust a lashup like that. It might work,
but there are too many ways that it could stop working.

There's nothing like simple, straightforward hardware, and a fader you
can move with your finger when something happens that needs to be
taken care of.

August 20, 2004 1:23:15 AM

"Eddie Cooper" <eddiejcooper@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Am I completely mad & missed the point?

Yes
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:31:45 AM

> Anybody here ever tried using a MOTU 828II as a live band PA mixer?
>
> My thoughts are to use an Behringer ADA8000 to preamp 8 mics on drums,
> guitars & vocals, down the lightpipe to the MOTU828II to be joined by the
2
> built-in preamps & lines - maybe the lineins could be used as FX returns
if
> I were to keep 1 or 2 pairs of inputs for FX sends. I read that there are
8
> outputs which can pump out 4 different stereo mixes so I am thinking 1 mix
> to power amps & 3 monitor mixes.
>
> While the MOTU pumps out the mixes & streams the audio over firewire to my
> laptop, I am thinking the laptop may be able to do a little more by way of
> controlling the mix in place of a traditional desk.
>
> When I want to later I can then remix/produce the captured audio at my
> leisure.
>
> Am I completely mad & missed the point? I only require pretty basic set-up
> for live PA anyway...

Yes, for many reasons it is ill-advised to use a DAW for FOH mixing, but
some of what you have in mind can be put to good use. If you're really
handy with the software, it can be a very potent and innovative effects
processor and sampler, while recording multitrack. Still, you'd be nuts not
to be using a standard console for FOH sound and I wouldn't even count on
the recording to work properly.

I've seen several systems which successfully integrated a DAW into a live
FOH rig for the right reasons, but frankly if you want freaky effects, use a
Kaoss pad, and if you want to record, use an HDR, or better yet just mix it
well and use a well-placed mic pair.
!