90min CD-R Troubles

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I just bought a LiteON 40x12x48 drive.
And it doesn't seem to recognise my 90min Discs with Nero :(
I managed to burn over 700MB by using Disk At Once with Overburn, and the files we sucessfully completed. The only problem is that it takes a very long time to copy these files back onto HD. Also the SVCD I burnt using overburn do not work at all, they play with jutters and gltiches and then hang. Finally DivX's seem to be completely watchable from CD but take a long time to copy to HD ???

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, a bunch of burners reports back 80min as the max, even though you can o/b to +93min.

BTW, you *ARE* reducing the write speed when you're burning those, right?

You're not going to get any kind of a good burn above 83min or so at top speed. I'd expect you could burn at 16x and still pull the full 90min...

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I have tried all sorts...

Firstly I fell into the trap of burning at 40x it worked ok and I can watch it from the disc, but the DivX copy took an eternity to try and copy it back to HD (Like 40 mins)

The discs are rated for 24x, so since then I have been burning at that. I tried to burn a SVCD at 8x cause they didn't work at higher speeds and that suffered the same issue... now I stopped experimenting as I don't want to waste any more discs.

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
I'm thinking of buying 800mb CD-R's and I have the same drive. Thanks for some of the warnings and advice, but I need to know where to buy the discs. I searched on Amazon and all other retailers I know of. Where did you get yours Stiffler?

How can my feet smell if it doesn't have a nose?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say the media you bought isn't a good match for your drive. You can check several ways. Using the Nero CD Speed program and use the Overburn Test on a blank disc. The test is simulated so you won't waste one.

Second, take a nearly full disk that you burned and run the Read Speed test with Nero CD Speed. The discs should increase in speed all the way to the end. If they suddenly drop off then you probably have a media compatibility problem.

The third test is basically the same test as the second except you test the Read Speed in a different drive like a CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM.

If any of these tests fail you likely don't have the best media for your writer. Try a different brand.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I'd say the media you bought isn't a good match for your drive
Exactly what I was about to suggest. Since it takes so long time to copy the files back to HD, the drive has read problems everywhere on the disk and not only the 74-90 min. part.

Tinker

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
Has anyone written up a media compatibility chart for this drive? I have the same brand/model. Buying a variety of disc brands can be expensive (and what to do with all the coasters?).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone written up a media compatibility chart for this drive? I have the same brand/model. Buying a variety of disc brands can be expensive (and what to do with all the coasters?).
Not that I know of. You might try the LiteOn forum at CDFreaks.com to see what other LiteOn owners are using. I always hear people talking about Taiyo Yuden discs which are distrubuted under various brand names (sometimes Fuji brand but not all Fuji discs are Taiyo Yuden). You can identify Taiyo Yuden discsm by the screw-on cap on top of the spindle case, or so I have been told.

I've also heard Ritek manufactured discs are good but I don't know how to identify these in brand name cases.

I don't have a LiteOn myself but rather a Cyberdrive. Lately, I've seem to be getting a lot of CMC manufactured discs (various brand names). They work great as long as I read and write with the Cyberdrive but suck eggs when used with my CD-ROM drives.

I have some old Ritek discs (generic) and these work great but like I said I don't know how to find any more of these.

I'll probably try a batch of Taiyo Yudens.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, these <A HREF="http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml#CD-R Quality vs CD-R Compatibility" target="_new">CDR quality test results at CDMediaWorld.com</A> contradict my own experience with Ritek discs but you may find the information useful.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
taiyo yuden is the best you can get, as for the screw on top, i doubt it. i get those cases with tdk and verbatim. taiyo yuden was the first company to make a cdr.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
my tdk's don't have the screw top my fuji's which are the TY's do but I wouldnt rely on that alone either as for verbatims they are also considered ( and in my personal experience as well) to be extremely good disks too in their own right

<font color=red><b> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9267/fuddef.html" target="_new">FUD</A></font color=red></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I may put this screw top thing to the test this weekend. It's worth trying since picking CDR media seems to be hit or miss anyway.

I read some more rumors too. Supposedly black spindle and no screw top means CMC media. Grey spindle and no screw top means Ritek. Don't know about white spindles.

It would be a lot easier if we could see the recordable side of the media before we buy them.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I just picked up a spindle of Memorex 40X, black spindle and spin cap. They are Taiyo Yuden, 97m24s01f, dye type 1.

Yup, these disc are very good. No problems on the Cyberdrive and I can read the discs on all my CD-ROM and CD-RW drives at their max speeds.

I was tempted to pick up a spindle of CompUSA store brand discs which have a grey spindle just to see if they are Ritek manufactured but I thought $20 was too much to pay.