Brothers in Arms - Install it on 98se? (Like Doom3)

My desktop system still runs 98SE. I can't get Brothers in Arms to install
as the installer seems to want an NT kernel. I'm wondering if this is a case
like Doom3 where the game is not intended for 98SE but will work with a hack
if you can get it installed. Please, if anyone here has any ideas or
pointers, will you let me know? For the time being I can play it on my
laptop, which has a faster CPU and ram, but a slower video card with less
memory.

It's probably too early at this point to find a 98 hack for this game. When
I got Doom3 it had already been out for months.

I know, it's time to upgrade my OS. I should have bought XP when I got the
system in fall 2001. I plan to leave 98 on this box, make it the "TV gaming"
system for MAME and older games, and get a nice fast A64 based system for my
desktop.

If you're curious, my specs:
P4 1.8
512MB PC800RDRAM
128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy
Win98SE
(Doom 3 hacked for 98 runs very well with all effects on at medium quality,
same with Half Life2 and Far Cry. I think P4s around this speed perform much
better with the RD ram...)

The laptop:
Compaq Presario R3060
Desktop P4 CPU @ 2.66
512MB PC2700DDR
64MB Mobility Radeon 9200 (dedicated)
Soundmax
WinXP Home sp2
(Pretty kickass when I got it Feb 2004. Not so hot now. It runs Battlefield
1942/Desert Combat like butter, which was my minimum requirement for a
laptop at the time. It's good enough to run Doom3 all effects on at 640x480,
runs Half Life 2 quite well with slightly conservative settings..I am still
able to use high quality textures)

--
Tweek

norm

I have the game....win 2000/xp only & DVD only
"Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
> My desktop system still runs 98SE. I can't get Brothers in Arms to install
> as the installer seems to want an NT kernel. I'm wondering if this is a
> case
> like Doom3 where the game is not intended for 98SE but will work with a
> hack
> if you can get it installed. Please, if anyone here has any ideas or
> pointers, will you let me know? For the time being I can play it on my
> laptop, which has a faster CPU and ram, but a slower video card with less
> memory.
>
> It's probably too early at this point to find a 98 hack for this game.
> When
> I got Doom3 it had already been out for months.
>
> I know, it's time to upgrade my OS. I should have bought XP when I got the
> system in fall 2001. I plan to leave 98 on this box, make it the "TV
> gaming"
> system for MAME and older games, and get a nice fast A64 based system for
> my
> desktop.
>
> If you're curious, my specs:
> P4 1.8
> 512MB PC800RDRAM
> 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
> SB Audigy
> Win98SE
> (Doom 3 hacked for 98 runs very well with all effects on at medium
> quality,
> same with Half Life2 and Far Cry. I think P4s around this speed perform
> much
> better with the RD ram...)
>
> The laptop:
> Compaq Presario R3060
> Desktop P4 CPU @ 2.66
> 512MB PC2700DDR
> 64MB Mobility Radeon 9200 (dedicated)
> Soundmax
> WinXP Home sp2
> (Pretty kickass when I got it Feb 2004. Not so hot now. It runs
> Battlefield
> 1942/Desert Combat like butter, which was my minimum requirement for a
> laptop at the time. It's good enough to run Doom3 all effects on at
> 640x480,
> runs Half Life 2 quite well with slightly conservative settings..I am
> still
> able to use high quality textures)
>
> --
> Tweek

I use Win 98 with some "XP only" games....dont have Bro in Arms though..

All the reviews etc. give Win 98 as OK spec.....no hold on, Ubisoft site
sais "...Windows 2000/XP (only)..." all those reviews is wong....bad....
There is a just-out official patch for Bro In Arms ...does ver.1.02
You could try:
Copy all the files from the game CDs/DVD to your HDs game folder...maybe
copy
from the installed version on the Laptop....
That is dont "install it" at all ...some games dont in fact need to be
registerd within
Windows to work..
Luv mouse
@@@@@@

"Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
> My desktop system still runs 98SE. I can't get Brothers in Arms to install
> as the installer seems to want an NT kernel. I'm wondering if this is a
case
> like Doom3 where the game is not intended for 98SE but will work with a
hack
> if you can get it installed. Please, if anyone here has any ideas or
> pointers, will you let me know? For the time being I can play it on my
> laptop, which has a faster CPU and ram, but a slower video card with less
> memory.
>
> It's probably too early at this point to find a 98 hack for this game.
When
> I got Doom3 it had already been out for months.
>
> I know, it's time to upgrade my OS. I should have bought XP when I got the
> system in fall 2001. I plan to leave 98 on this box, make it the "TV
gaming"
> system for MAME and older games, and get a nice fast A64 based system for
my
> desktop.
>
> If you're curious, my specs:
> P4 1.8
> 512MB PC800RDRAM
> 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro
> SB Audigy
> Win98SE
> (Doom 3 hacked for 98 runs very well with all effects on at medium
quality,
> same with Half Life2 and Far Cry. I think P4s around this speed perform
much
> better with the RD ram...)
>
> The laptop:
> Compaq Presario R3060
> Desktop P4 CPU @ 2.66
> 512MB PC2700DDR
> 64MB Mobility Radeon 9200 (dedicated)
> Soundmax
> WinXP Home sp2
> (Pretty kickass when I got it Feb 2004. Not so hot now. It runs
Battlefield
> 1942/Desert Combat like butter, which was my minimum requirement for a
> laptop at the time. It's good enough to run Doom3 all effects on at
640x480,
> runs Half Life 2 quite well with slightly conservative settings..I am
still
> able to use high quality textures)
>
> --
> Tweek

I'm interested in getting BIA and I have a WinME system.

The GoGamer.com web site has System Requirements : Windows 98/ME/2000/XP,
Pentium III 1.6 Ghz, 256MB RAM, 64MB DirectX 9.0 video card, 6X DVDROM,
DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card, Keyboard, Mouse.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?p=support&faq=1

The minimum PC specifications are as follows: 1ghz processor, 256mb RAM,
32mb DX8 Video card. The console versions require you just to own the
console you wish to run BiA on.

http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com/us/sysreq.php

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=1066

Well heck! The two links above show the supported OS: Windows® 2000/XP
(only)

BTW Don't you have the box that it came in? It should list min specs on
the side. Or did you do D2D?

Guys, I have the damn game. I can read a box. I am asking if anyone has
knowledge of a hack to make it work on 98. Like with Doom 3...

TIA

--
Tweek

norm

upgrade to XP

> Guys, I have the damn game. I can read a box. I am asking if anyone has
> knowledge of a hack to make it work on 98. Like with Doom 3...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Tweek

"Tweek" <tweek@comeonletsbereal.com> wrote in message
> Guys, I have the damn game. I can read a box. I am asking if anyone has
> knowledge of a hack to make it work on 98. Like with Doom 3...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Tweek

Oh......