Microphone collectors?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 20, 2004 3:08:39 AM

Any mikrofoon collectors out there?

....Moose

More about : microphone collectors

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:42:11 PM

Yes - I fear so.
I have some 120 to 160 - don't even know the exact number.
Most of it is old Sennheiser and AKG stuff ...

Cheers
Walter
August 20, 2004 2:42:12 PM

I'm fairly new at it but I'm heavy on vintage ribbons. I don't have
as many as you but I'm not Shure how many I have in total. I am in
the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.

thanx...

....moose

On 20 Aug 2004 10:42:11 GMT, wspeckmann@aol.com (WSpeckmann) wrote:

>Yes - I fear so.
>I have some 120 to 160 - don't even know the exact number.
>Most of it is old Sennheiser and AKG stuff ...
>
>Cheers
>Walter
August 20, 2004 4:40:03 PM

In article <shmbi019le379u2pm3po02q4e6g09elo8t@4ax.com> 1@2.com writes:

> I am in
> the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.

Huh? What does it do? Turn a non-vintage micorphone into a vintage
microphone? Get money to buy more vintage microphones? Keep track of
the vintage microphones that you own?

August 20, 2004 6:25:08 PM

<< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

Is there anyone here who isn't?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:25:09 PM

EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>Is there anyone here who isn't?

No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put them
behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are the reason
that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and 1990.
--scott

August 20, 2004 6:25:10 PM

On 20 Aug 2004 10:37:19 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>
>No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put them
>behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are the reason
>that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and 1990.

There are a lot of guitar collectors out there who have pretty much
made it impossible for a musician to affor a nice old instrument. Not
too many players can hand out $18,000 for a '57 strat. In comparison
bought my first one for $125... it was nice when the only people that
cared about old guitars were musicians that actually played them.

Al
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:00:42 PM

Moose wrote:
> I'm fairly new at it but I'm heavy on vintage ribbons. I don't have
> as many as you but I'm not Shure how many I have in total. I am in
> the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.
>
> thanx...
>
> ...moose

in twelve steps?

Hans

--
===========================

"This is a non-profit organisation
We didn't plan it that way, but it is."

(remove uppercase trap and double the number to reply)
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:08:59 AM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in

> EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>
> No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put
> them behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are
> the reason that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and
> 1990. --scott

It's a two edged sword - back when those RCAs were worth chickenfeed,
the radio stations would deep six them to the landfill when they
modernised. In some ways, the collecting mania is the reason they still
exist in any quantity at all. M
August 22, 2004 1:46:43 AM

It is a work in progress but it is a flat database to store all of
your microphones in and also contains a reference section with
pictures and descriptions of many other mics. It will keep track of
how muich you paid vs the original cost, the highest/lowest paid and
the most recent. It generates eBay searches and allows currency
conversions. It stores pictures, videos, audio, text and web pages
for each microphone. I am scanning into it a bunch of vintage
catalogs. I am planning to write an artificial intelligence portion
that will identify a microphone based on description. I am thinking
about a feature to generate a frequency response test. I am also
considering a section on cables and adapters. Finally, it will be
entirely controllable by voice commands and supports speech to text
dictation. Any other ideas?

Moose

On 20 Aug 2004 12:40:03 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

>In article <shmbi019le379u2pm3po02q4e6g09elo8t@4ax.com> 1@2.com writes:
>
>> I am in
>> the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.
>
>Huh? What does it do? Turn a non-vintage micorphone into a vintage
>microphone? Get money to buy more vintage microphones? Keep track of
>the vintage microphones that you own?
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 1:46:44 AM

There already exists software that helps collectors organize their
stuff in a database, you might want to search some of this stuff out
before you put in too many hours re-inventing the wheel. You can
probably get something off the shelf and customize it a bit to fit
your needs.

Al

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:46:43 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:

>It is a work in progress but it is a flat database to store all of
>your microphones in and also contains a reference section with
>pictures and descriptions of many other mics. It will keep track of
>how muich you paid vs the original cost, the highest/lowest paid and
>the most recent. It generates eBay searches and allows currency
>conversions. It stores pictures, videos, audio, text and web pages
>for each microphone. I am scanning into it a bunch of vintage
>catalogs. I am planning to write an artificial intelligence portion
>that will identify a microphone based on description. I am thinking
>about a feature to generate a frequency response test. I am also
>considering a section on cables and adapters. Finally, it will be
>entirely controllable by voice commands and supports speech to text
>dictation. Any other ideas?
>
>Moose
>
>On 20 Aug 2004 12:40:03 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
>wrote:
>

>>In article <shmbi019le379u2pm3po02q4e6g09elo8t@4ax.com> 1@2.com writes:
>>
>>> I am in
>>> the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.
>>
>>Huh? What does it do? Turn a non-vintage micorphone into a vintage
>>microphone? Get money to buy more vintage microphones? Keep track of
>>the vintage microphones that you own?

August 22, 2004 1:47:47 AM

;)  all of the twelve step programs I have been in have driven me to
drink.

Moose

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:00:42 +0200, Hans van Dongen
<hanf@SPAMDEX.xs2all.nl> wrote:

>Moose wrote:
>> I'm fairly new at it but I'm heavy on vintage ribbons. I don't have
>> as many as you but I'm not Shure how many I have in total. I am in
>> the process of writing a Vintage microphone program.
>>
>> thanx...
>>
>> ...moose
>>
>in twelve steps?
>

>Hans
August 22, 2004 1:51:47 AM

I'm not sure. Perhaps collectors in general but maybe not vintage.
It depends on how much mojo factors in your preconception. Would you
rather have a Royer or Cole brand new ribbon or would you want a 77A
whether it worked or not? Or would you want both, like me :) ?

....Moose

On 20 Aug 2004 14:25:08 GMT, eganmedia@aol.com (EganMedia) wrote:

><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>

>Joe Egan
>EMP
>Colchester, VT
>www.eganmedia.com
August 22, 2004 1:56:58 AM

I think it is the same thing as guitar collectors and players and the
same type of complaint. For me it started out as a project to learn
about the difference in sound between the different mics and that
still is my goal.

Moose

On 20 Aug 2004 10:37:19 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>
>No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put them
>behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are the reason
>that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and 1990.
>--scott
August 22, 2004 2:03:41 AM

Hi Al...

I bet you are pretty happy though if you still have that $125, 1957
strat. I have some very old Martins, for example, and I record/play
them trhough a variety of old microphones.

Perhaps it's a waste for me to have this stuff as I only play for
myself?

....Moose

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:56:49 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
wrote:

>On 20 Aug 2004 10:37:19 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>>><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>>>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>>
>>No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put them
>>behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are the reason
>>that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and 1990.
>
>There are a lot of guitar collectors out there who have pretty much
>made it impossible for a musician to affor a nice old instrument. Not
>too many players can hand out $18,000 for a '57 strat. In comparison
>bought my first one for $125... it was nice when the only people that
>cared about old guitars were musicians that actually played them.
>
>Al
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:03:42 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:03:41 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:

>Hi Al...
>
>I bet you are pretty happy though if you still have that $125, 1957
>strat.

Sold it long ago... it was a 1962 with a stock metallic green finish.

I have some very old Martins, for example, and I record/play
>them trhough a variety of old microphones.

Me too. But I'm more into old guitars than old mics.

>Perhaps it's a waste for me to have this stuff as I only play for
>myself?

I guess if you get enough enjoyment out of it it's not a waste. I'm a
recovering collector, my goal now is to just have stuff that works
really well and sounds good, whether new or old. In many cases (but
not all) nowadays you can find a new product that can replace the old
ones, from a practical standpoint.

Al

>...Moose
>
>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:56:49 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
>wrote:

>>>No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put them
>>>behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are the reason
>>>that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and 1990.
>>
>>There are a lot of guitar collectors out there who have pretty much
>>made it impossible for a musician to affor a nice old instrument. Not
>>too many players can hand out $18,000 for a '57 strat. In comparison
>>bought my first one for $125... it was nice when the only people that
>>cared about old guitars were musicians that actually played them.
>>
>>Al

August 22, 2004 2:09:51 AM

Very true but isn't the argument similar to guitar amplifiers. There
are the vintage Fender tube amps which almost always must be repaired
electronically with new materials to sound ok. I guess the collector
wouldn't change anything and just look at an original piece while the
player will repair with new parts but despair at any degradation in
"mojo". The quintessential contradiction are luthiers who build
boutique guiters from 100 year old Brazilliam rosewood.

....Moose

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:08:59 GMT, Mike Diack
<moby@kcbbs.gen.middleearth> wrote:

>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
>
>> EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>>><< Any mikrofoon collectors out there? >>

>>>Is there anyone here who isn't?
>>
>> No, microphone collectors are guys who buy nice microphones and put
>> them behind glass cases without ever actually using them. They are
>> the reason that RCA 77DXes went from $200 to $1200 between 1980 and
>> 1990. --scott
>>
>It's a two edged sword - back when those RCAs were worth chickenfeed,
>the radio stations would deep six them to the landfill when they
>modernised. In some ways, the collecting mania is the reason they still
>exist in any quantity at all. M
August 22, 2004 5:09:29 AM

Am I crazy? I have some beautiful old guitars which I play but not
as frequently as I play my "junk" guitars. They're harder to play.

Moose

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:20:29 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:03:41 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Al...
>>
>>I bet you are pretty happy though if you still have that $125, 1957
>>strat.
>
>Sold it long ago... it was a 1962 with a stock metallic green finish.
>
> I have some very old Martins, for example, and I record/play
>>them trhough a variety of old microphones.
>
>Me too. But I'm more into old guitars than old mics.
>
>>Perhaps it's a waste for me to have this stuff as I only play for
>>myself?
>
>I guess if you get enough enjoyment out of it it's not a waste. I'm a
>recovering collector, my goal now is to just have stuff that works
>really well and sounds good, whether new or old. In many cases (but
>not all) nowadays you can find a new product that can replace the old
>ones, from a practical standpoint.
>
>Al
>

>>...Moose
>>
>>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:56:49 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>There are a lot of guitar collectors out there who have pretty much
>>>made it impossible for a musician to affor a nice old instrument. Not
>>>too many players can hand out $18,000 for a '57 strat. In comparison
>>>bought my first one for $125... it was nice when the only people that
>>>cared about old guitars were musicians that actually played them.
>>>
>>>Al

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:09:30 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:09:29 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:

>Am I crazy? I have some beautiful old guitars which I play but not
>as frequently as I play my "junk" guitars. They're harder to play.

You should fix up the nice guitars, they deserve to be played. I
don't worship vintage to the point where I don't set up my guitars,
but then the Martins I have aren't museum pieces... I don't like minty
old guitars where you have to worry about putting a little scratch on
them. I've sold guitars because they were in such good shape I didn't
like playing them much, I like to find ones that have had the hell
played out of them but are still solid.

Al

>Moose
>
>On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 21:20:29 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:03:41 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Al...
>>>
>>>I bet you are pretty happy though if you still have that $125, 1957
>>>strat.
>>
>>Sold it long ago... it was a 1962 with a stock metallic green finish.
>>
>> I have some very old Martins, for example, and I record/play
>>>them trhough a variety of old microphones.
>>
>>Me too. But I'm more into old guitars than old mics.
>>
>>>Perhaps it's a waste for me to have this stuff as I only play for
>>>myself?
>>
>>I guess if you get enough enjoyment out of it it's not a waste. I'm a
>>recovering collector, my goal now is to just have stuff that works
>>really well and sounds good, whether new or old. In many cases (but
>>not all) nowadays you can find a new product that can replace the old
>>ones, from a practical standpoint.
>>
>>Al
>>

>>>...Moose

August 22, 2004 8:09:02 AM

There's something to be said about that. I agree with you that a
guitar that has been played a lot over a long time must sound good to
a whole bunch of people and must be a pleasure to play.

I keep my guitars pretty well set up I think as they don't buzz and
can be tuned accurately. Still I'm told that I should see what a pro
could do setting one up.

There's something about an old guitar that has been played a lot as
opposed to perhaps the exact same instrument found as NOS
miraculously. I have this late 30's Epiphone archtop in which the
finish is barely noticible and the wood is just old and dry. The
sound is reminiscent.

....moose

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:41:31 -0700, playon <playonATcomcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:09:29 -0400, Moose <1@2.com> wrote:
>
>>Am I crazy? I have some beautiful old guitars which I play but not
>>as frequently as I play my "junk" guitars. They're harder to play.
>
>You should fix up the nice guitars, they deserve to be played. I
>don't worship vintage to the point where I don't set up my guitars,
>but then the Martins I have aren't museum pieces... I don't like minty
>old guitars where you have to worry about putting a little scratch on
>them. I've sold guitars because they were in such good shape I didn't
>like playing them much, I like to find ones that have had the hell
>played out of them but are still solid.
>
>Al
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:29:34 PM