Tags:
  • LAN
  • Wireless Router
  • Switch
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
August 23, 2012 11:40:41 PM

I'm using a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N wireless router with a Gigabit TRENDnet unmanaged switch. It seems like the switch is having problems because it will not allow a computer to be used in conjunction with the wireless router. Shouldn't I be able to use both at the same time. I've messed with pretty much every setting on the router, and after doing that then resetting to factory defaults, I still can't seem to come up with a solution. I'm a complete newb at networking, and I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong physically before having a go at all of the settings again. I also looked in the forums for a similar situation but I honestly can't find one.

Thanks,

Zach

More about : wireless router unmanaged switch

August 24, 2012 1:53:27 AM

Yes, you should be able to use wire and wireless at the same time.

What kind of problem? Are you not able to connect to the router at all (not even access the router's UI), or it is just an internet access problem?
m
l
August 24, 2012 3:06:26 AM

Thanks for replying! Internet access specifically. Although It's interesting, when I enter the default IP address when it is physically connected through the switch it won't connect. But if I enter the IP address with a computer directly connected to the router without the switch it works flawlessly (access to the UI). The problem just arises whenever I add the switch into the equation.The LAN ports on the router are a "hub" and that connection slows down my LAN speed between computers (hence the purchase of a switch to speed up my LAN connection). The switch works fine unless I plug in the wireless router I mentioned above. Since the switch is unmanaged (I can't change a single setting except on or off at least to my knowledge) I think I'm probably missing something in the router settings. Perhaps a redirect option or static IP option? I frankly have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I'm trying to build a house by swinging a hammer in the dark lol. Maybe it's just time to read a networking basics book...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 24, 2012 3:31:04 AM

If your router is the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N, that is NOT a hub. In fact, they haven’t made hubs for many, many years. That's every bit as much a switch as your standalone switch. That’s doesn’t explain why you’re having this problem w/ the two in tandem, but I don’t see where adding the switch increases your performance. Certainly not for internet access purposes. It’s only going to do that if the switch is Gigabit and the Buffalo is only 10/100Mbps, and you want to get the best performance between local devices.

August 27, 2012 5:51:15 AM

I've got 2 PCs hooked up via LAN, and one is my "backup machine" so I backup large files (1 Gbps is preferred to 100Mbps). But thanks for the advice! I guess since the device doesn't explicitly say it's a switch I assumed it was a hub. Good to know that they aren't making those anymore, because I am aware that they were very inferior technology. I still can't seem to get the switch to work, but I'll just go back to the way things were. Who knew that a "no maintenance" could be so high maintenance lol. Your advice has been very helpful and I want to just say thanks again!

Zach
m
l
August 27, 2012 5:51:25 AM

Best answer selected by attackofthepancakes.
m
l