Hillary Clinton is on the GTA warpath

schrodinger

news:11ij415t7du1jhtgb68nctcr8e2i04rn9k@4ax.com...
> http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660

I was going to post about this the other day - my wife picked up on it and
started ranting about how games like this should be banned.

My wife has never played a computer game "doesn't see the point" and never
will. She would not be discuss where the line should be drawn (i.e.
graphical violence, killing, fighting etc), but felt that from what she had
read about GTAIII it portrayed women badly because you could kill
prostitutes.

"But you can kill anybody you like" I said, "in fact, you can choose NOT to
kill if you wish". This phased her for a minute, but she refused to be
budged. My contention was that the game should not be sold to children,
just as 18 rated DVDs are not. "It's different" she said, "because children
play these games".

/cue sound of Schrodinger beating head against the wall wishing he had a
baseball bat handy at that time.

Interestingly, later that day we drove past a bar with topless waitresses.
"This", I said, " is far more damaging to men's views of women than a GAME
in which you can kill anyone you choose".

Guess what - she didn't agree. My wife, like Hilary Clinton, is an ill
informed bigoted technophobe whom would rather point a moral finger than
actually have to make a moral choice. They want to ban what they don't
understand.

My PC-and-game illiterate friend had bought GTA:VC (PS2) for his 10 year old
son - I tried to gently explain what went on in the game.

Despite being what I would view as a responsible parent, he didn't get the
problem and figured it would be ok because "all the other kids have it". He
has since bought him GTA:SA.

"Our" problem is one of education of the masses about video games. "They"
still think they are the preserve of 13 year old boys and will not accept
that they can be as valid an "art form" as movies. "They" think children
should play them - even when rated 18 - and are either shocked when they
contain graphic violence or still perceive them as glorified Tom and Jerry
cartoons.

Games publishers have a vested interest in this perception - if they can
shift an extra 1 million copies to 13 - 18 year old kids then who are they
to argue?

THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT FOR OR AGAINST GUN CONTROL, BUT I wonder what the
reaction in USA would be had Hilary C spoken out strongly in favour of the
banning of all guns?

I know which would save more lives - but then again it wouldn't key into the
moral panic of middle aged twits (did I spell that correctly?) and probably
lose the votes of most of USA South and West of Boston come her presidential
campaign.

> http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660

Yup. Blame the game. The parents or the players have no responsibilities I
guses. Kinda like taking Microsoft Flight Simulator off the store shelves
when 911 hit. People are clueless.

"Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote in

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>> http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660
>> --
>> Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
>
> I was going to post about this the other day - my wife picked up on it
> and started ranting about how games like this should be banned.
>
> My wife has never played a computer game "doesn't see the point" and
> never will. She would not be discuss where the line should be drawn
> (i.e. graphical violence, killing, fighting etc), but felt that from
> what she had read about GTAIII it portrayed women badly because you
> could kill prostitutes.
>
> "But you can kill anybody you like" I said, "in fact, you can choose
> NOT to kill if you wish". This phased her for a minute, but she
> refused to be budged. My contention was that the game should not be
> sold to children, just as 18 rated DVDs are not. "It's different" she
> said, "because children play these games".
>
> /cue sound of Schrodinger beating head against the wall wishing he had
> a baseball bat handy at that time.
>
> Interestingly, later that day we drove past a bar with topless
> waitresses. "This", I said, " is far more damaging to men's views of
> women than a GAME in which you can kill anyone you choose".
>
> Guess what - she didn't agree. My wife, like Hilary Clinton, is an
> ill informed bigoted technophobe whom would rather point a moral
> finger than actually have to make a moral choice. They want to ban
> what they don't understand.
>
> My PC-and-game illiterate friend had bought GTA:VC (PS2) for his 10
> year old son - I tried to gently explain what went on in the game.
>
> Despite being what I would view as a responsible parent, he didn't get
> the problem and figured it would be ok because "all the other kids
> have it". He has since bought him GTA:SA.
>
> "Our" problem is one of education of the masses about video games.
> "They" still think they are the preserve of 13 year old boys and will
> not accept that they can be as valid an "art form" as movies. "They"
> think children should play them - even when rated 18 - and are either
> shocked when they contain graphic violence or still perceive them as
> glorified Tom and Jerry cartoons.
>
> Games publishers have a vested interest in this perception - if they
> can shift an extra 1 million copies to 13 - 18 year old kids then who
> are they to argue?
>
> THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT FOR OR AGAINST GUN CONTROL, BUT I wonder what
> the reaction in USA would be had Hilary C spoken out strongly in
> favour of the banning of all guns?
>
> I know which would save more lives - but then again it wouldn't key
> into the moral panic of middle aged twits (did I spell that
> correctly?) and probably lose the votes of most of USA South and West
> of Boston come her presidential campaign.

very well put, I'm really fed up of people only blaming tha games and
forgettin about the parents allowing them to play it and the stores
selling the games to them, the publishers cannot remain entirely
blameless either because of the way some of the games are marketed

cool! i hate GTA :)

(i want to play like the man i am, not as a moron-scum-outlaw..., since ages
all games have a educational reason, and are not just to entertain, and far
less to do stupid role-playing as a moron-scum-outlaw... oh yeah, i'm
getting older and older :)

Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660

Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
of bullshit. Oh well.

Andrew

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:18:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>of bullshit. Oh well.

She is on the trail of potential votes, common sense and facts go out
of the window for the sake of a good bit of public moralizing.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:18:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:
>
>>http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660
>
>Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>of bullshit. Oh well.

If she was smart enough to see through bullshit, she wouldn't have
married Bill.

Tim O wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:18:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
> <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:
>>

>>>http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660
>>
>>Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>>of bullshit. Oh well.
>

> If she was smart enough to see through bullshit, she wouldn't have
> married Bill.

Oh snap -the lovelife of political couples.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
> Tim O wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:18:00 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
>> <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>>> Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>>> of bullshit. Oh well.
>>

>> If she was smart enough to see through bullshit, she wouldn't have
>> married Bill.
>>

> Oh snap -the lovelife of political couples.

Whoops -oxymoron!

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>>Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>>of bullshit. Oh well.
>
>She is on the trail of potential votes, common sense and facts go out
>of the window for the sake of a good bit of public moralizing.

I suppose. It's still cheap, and definitely lowered my opinion of her
considerably.

Worse; this is probably a sign of what's to come. I'd interprete this
as that the dems have decided that their roots are tabloid-driven
moral panic rather than the ideals of the enlightenment.

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> Yup. Blame the game. The parents or the players have no
responsibilities I
> guses. Kinda like taking Microsoft Flight Simulator off the store
shelves
> when 911 hit. People are clueless.

There was another thread not so long ago about the rating system for
games. All they need do is enforce this, like it is for films and then
computer games are as safe as movies. I'm quite happy to see stuff like
"Contains mild fantasy violence and frequent nudity" on the back of a
game. It would help me determine whether it was suitable for a child.

Then all they have to do is apply the same restrictions to TV, radio,
books, art and any other medium that a child might see. Perhaps it
would be simpler to bring up our children in an airtight box?

Andrew

On 30 Mar 2005 02:38:42 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>There was another thread not so long ago about the rating system for
>games. All they need do is enforce this, like it is for films and then
>computer games are as safe as movies. I'm quite happy to see stuff like
>"Contains mild fantasy violence and frequent nudity" on the back of a
>game. It would help me determine whether it was suitable for a child.
>
>Then all they have to do is apply the same restrictions to TV, radio,
>books, art and any other medium that a child might see. Perhaps it
>would be simpler to bring up our children in an airtight box?

I was listening to a phone in on the radio on this subject the other
day. A mature gamer phoned in to say that he was in a major games shop
and a mother was being pestered by her 10 year old boy to buy GTA:SA
because his friends play it, she was going to buy it and the gamer
tried to explain that it wouldn't be suitable, but the mother was only
interested in appeasing the little brat and bought it anyway.

Parents like that explain a lot about the problems in western society
today.

This is classic politics. Get on-board with a lot of easy issues that
promote family values, do it for the children, etc. Bashing video
games as 'murder trainers' is always an easy mark, because most
politicians refuse to believe that the market for these games consists
primarily of non-children. So, they think there's only and upside,
because they really believe that only people who aren't old enough to
vote would miss the games. Let's hope for a rude awakening.

PBC

m.m.m.m.m.m.m....What was my e-mail address?

vinCe

"Chadwick" wrote

> HockeyTownUSA wrote:

>> Yup. Blame the game. The parents or the players have no
> responsibilities I
>> guses. Kinda like taking Microsoft Flight Simulator off the store
> shelves
>> when 911 hit. People are clueless.

> There was another thread not so long ago about the rating system for
> games. All they need do is enforce this, like it is for films and then
> computer games are as safe as movies. I'm quite happy to see stuff like
> "Contains mild fantasy violence and frequent nudity" on the back of a
> game. It would help me determine whether it was suitable for a child.

The latest warning is "Contains mild peril". Only in the States....

> Then all they have to do is apply the same restrictions to TV, radio,
> books, art and any other medium that a child might see. Perhaps it
> would be simpler to bring up our children in an airtight box?

An airtight box wouldn't improve their lives much. Or for very long.

vinCe

"Vader des Vaderlands" wrote
> Vader des Vaderlands wrote:
>> Oh snap -the lovelife of political couples.

> Whoops -oxymoron!

You typed an 'oxy' too many.

My 2 cents...

Violence in video games (and on tv and in real life and in war) does have an
effect on the population which does increase the liklihood of violence being
comitted. I think you can say the same thing about racism, nationalism, or
acts of kindness. IMO, it's a pyschological fact of life.

If there was no rating system and no rules about selling to minors then
that's a problem. However, there is, and GTA and games like it have a M for
mature rating. Therefore only adults should be buying it, or "children"
should only be getting it with the permission of their parents. If you want
to live in a free country then freedom means the right to play violent video
games, watch violent movies, engage in violent sports, whatever. The point
is, an adult does and should have these rights.

BTW, the article portrays Clinton as attacking violent gaming but in
actuality she's only purposing that we do a study: "She wants a $90 million
investigation to be launched into the impact of games and other electronic
media on the "cognitive, social, emotional and physical development" of
children, according to a Sunday Times report." When she trys to pass a law
actually censoring freedom of expression in video games, then I'll be there
to shout foul. Until then, I don't see the big deal.

Anyway, if you don't think games lead to violent, what are you afraid of?
If you're right the study should support your arguement.

However, if you're like me and you acknowledge there's a cause effect going
on here, then have your cake and eat it. I say, so what.... violence seen
can lead to violent behavior, but it's a free country.

BTW, what's with this quote?
"American political analysts have noted that Clinton has taken on some
increasingly right wing stances on domestic issues in recent months, in an
effort to win support from traditionally Republican voters in the next
presidential race" What "american political analysts" and what other
"stances" in "recent months"? As a rule it's the democrats who support
freedom of speech in the arts, in hollywood, etc.. the gaming issue is the
exception to the rule and it's nothing new. Democrats going on the record
against video game violence is nothing new.

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:
>
> >http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7660
>
> Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
> of bullshit. Oh well.

I'm sure there's politics behind the stance (as there always is) but at this
point she's only calling for a study. If there's no cause & effect to
violence in gaming and real violence, then the study should support that
conclusion, right?

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>
> > Yup. Blame the game. The parents or the players have no
> responsibilities I
> > guses. Kinda like taking Microsoft Flight Simulator off the store
> shelves
> > when 911 hit. People are clueless.
>
> There was another thread not so long ago about the rating system for
> games. All they need do is enforce this, like it is for films and then
> computer games are as safe as movies. I'm quite happy to see stuff like
> "Contains mild fantasy violence and frequent nudity" on the back of a
> game. It would help me determine whether it was suitable for a child.

Good point. I'd be open to stricter or more explicit warnings.

> Then all they have to do is apply the same restrictions to TV, radio,
> books, art and any other medium that a child might see. Perhaps it
> would be simpler to bring up our children in an airtight box?

Part of the problem is that video games have historically been things that
"children" play with and the perception is still widely held that video
games are synonomous with children's toys. I don't think most people get it
that video games are for adults too. As a result, you have a lot of parents
assuming that video games, by their very nature, are all made for children.
That's the mentality we gamers are dealing with and it's at the heart of the
problem. If there's an extremely violent movie about.. say... a man getting
nailed to a cross... people don't start shouting that we should ban violence
in movies in order to protect children. Now, if Woody from toy story goes
Hannibal on his fellow toys, that's going to get a reaction. The point is,
some games are made for adult and some are for children. Same is true for
games. Once that sinks into the minds of the public and our politicians, I
doubt you'll hear as much about this issue.

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> "Chadwick" wrote
>
>> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>
>>> Yup. Blame the game. The parents or the players have no
>> responsibilities I
>>> guses. Kinda like taking Microsoft Flight Simulator off the store
>> shelves
>>> when 911 hit. People are clueless.
>
>> There was another thread not so long ago about the rating system for
>> games. All they need do is enforce this, like it is for films and
>> then computer games are as safe as movies. I'm quite happy to see
>> stuff like "Contains mild fantasy violence and frequent nudity" on
>> the back of a game. It would help me determine whether it was
>> suitable for a child.
>
> The latest warning is "Contains mild peril". Only in the States....
>
>> Then all they have to do is apply the same restrictions to TV, radio,
>> books, art and any other medium that a child might see. Perhaps it
>> would be simpler to bring up our children in an airtight box?
>
> An airtight box wouldn't improve their lives much. Or for very long.

the best one I've seen on on tv in the UK was for a film and it said "
contains scenes of extended peril"

Thusly "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> Spake Unto All:

>> Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
>> of bullshit. Oh well.
>
>I'm sure there's politics behind the stance (as there always is) but at this
>point she's only calling for a study. If there's no cause & effect to
>violence in gaming and real violence, then the study should support that
>conclusion, right?

The problem is that you can't demonstrate non-existence. I.e., no
study will *ever* be able to conclude there is no causal link between
fictional and real violence.
You can only show that the link isn't strong, and that's already been
done - there's hundreds of studies on this.

I don't fear impartial studies with good methodology - but those can't
find results beyond 'inconclusive'. I feel I can say this after
there's been so many studies already.
I do fear partial, politicizeds, studies with tendentious methodology
- because those find correlation. And the only reason anyone would
call for another study is because they are dissatisified with present
studies and *want* to find correlation.

js> Part of the problem is that video games have historically been
js> things that "children" play with and the perception is still widely
js> held that video games are synonomous with children's toys. I don't
js> think most people get it that video games are for adults too. As a
js> result, you have a lot of parents assuming that video games, by
js> their very nature, are all made for children.

It appears to me that this is not only a perception but an economical
reality. I believe that this is one of the reasons that a rating system has
until now not gone pass the "voluntary labeling" stage. Although a game is
rated "M for mature" and the recommended age is 17+ or something, a
majority of the de facto buyers and users are kids of a younger age. You
can argue all you want that the rating system is there, it just needs to be
enforced; there is an overwhelming economical pressure against it. Game
publishers stand to lose substantial portions of their sales and they can't
agree to that.

js> If there's an extremely violent movie about.. say... a man getting
js> nailed to a cross... people don't start shouting that we should ban
js> violence in movies in order to protect children. Now, if Woody
js> from toy story goes Hannibal on his fellow toys, that's going to
js> get a reaction. The point is, some games are made for adult and
js> some are for children. Same is true for games. Once that sinks
js> into the minds of the public and our politicians, I doubt you'll
js> hear as much about this issue.

Fair enough. But if 70% of the audience for the Nailing Movie (tm) are
kids, then you will have a hell of a time to enforce a rating system if it
isn't already there. What you say above, that games have started as kid's
toys and are still perceived as such, holds for the industry as much as for
the consumer. If film would have developped from kiddie cartoons, I believe
we might have had a much harder time to introduce and enforce a system as
we have it now. As it stands, films were historically considered to be for
adults, and back in the 30s many parents did not want their kids to watch a
western.

Anyhow, there is a resistance from the side of the industry to enforcable
labeling, and that increases the pressure on the other side, from social
liberals (let's not spoil the kids for the sake of profit) and
conservatives (is this what we call family values these days?) alike, to
force a regulation.

Regards, Hartmut "how about porn then?" Schmider

--
Hartmut Schmider, Queen's University

We are capable of sacrificing ourselves for sentiment.
Sentimentality exacts the sacrifice of others.
Yoritomo-Tashi

"JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> escribió en el mensaje
> My 2 cents...
Brilliant man!!!! Thats exactlly what is needed. A study.

And OF COURSE all media have an effect on people.... Parental and school
education aside, human being (specially youth) DO imitate behaviour of
others, be it movies, books, gangs, clubs, political parties, churches,
friends and family...
Freedom can never be absolute or it will be freeDOOM. Lets fight tiranny,
but not common sense limitations.
This is like the stupidity of harley bikers that want to be free to NOT use
a helmet.... i rather want to be relatively free from diying in a stupid
slowspeed accident while doing my biggest hobby, riding my CBR....

> Thusly "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> Spake Unto All:
>
> >> Sad. I honestly thought she'd be smart enough to see through this kind
> >> of bullshit. Oh well.
> >
> >I'm sure there's politics behind the stance (as there always is) but at
this
> >point she's only calling for a study. If there's no cause & effect to
> >violence in gaming and real violence, then the study should support that
> >conclusion, right?
>
> The problem is that you can't demonstrate non-existence. I.e., no
> study will *ever* be able to conclude there is no causal link between
> fictional and real violence.
> You can only show that the link isn't strong, and that's already been
> done - there's hundreds of studies on this.

Hundreds? Not so sure about that. The studies I've seen seem to have
mixed conclusion, although I've only seen or heard of a few. I think it's
just as likely you'd be unable to *ever* prove there IS a concrete causal
link between fictional and real violence. There's always some way to cast
doubt. I myself have spent hundreds of hours playing violent games but I
never wanted to go kill someone, so on a personal individual level, it's
easy and naturally to assume there is no link. On the other hand, home with
domestic violence breed children who then go on to create home with domestic
violence. Granted, that's REAL violence rather than onscreen, but it's
still monkey see monkey do.

> I don't fear impartial studies with good methodology - but those can't
> find results beyond 'inconclusive'. I feel I can say this after
> there's been so many studies already.

I'm not sure it's fair to categorically say that impartiial studies can't
find results beyond inconclusive.

> I do fear partial, politicizeds, studies with tendentious methodology
> - because those find correlation.

As opposed to privately funded studies that are created by groups with their
own private biases? The US if full of "studies" by groups with fancy names
that are really represented and paid for by one industry or another. Take
for example the pharmasuitcal (sp!) companies or the studies that show
global warming isn't real. That said, I agree that political studies can be
biased too, but generally if you look to see who's footing the bill you can
determine the bias if any.

> And the only reason anyone would
> call for another study is because they are dissatisified with present
> studies and *want* to find correlation.

In Clinton's case, that's true, but if the study is fair then and there is
no connection between violence & gaming then the results will backfire.

"Hartmut Schmider" <hs7@post.queensu.ca> wrote in message

> js> Part of the problem is that video games have historically been
> js> things that "children" play with and the perception is still
widely
> js> held that video games are synonomous with children's toys. I
don't
> js> think most people get it that video games are for adults too. As
> js> result, you have a lot of parents assuming that video games, by
> js> their very nature, are all made for children.
>
> It appears to me that this is not only a perception but an economical
> reality. I believe that this is one of the reasons that a rating system
has
> until now not gone pass the "voluntary labeling" stage. Although a game is
> rated "M for mature" and the recommended age is 17+ or something, a
> majority of the de facto buyers and users are kids of a younger age. You
> can argue all you want that the rating system is there, it just needs to
be
> enforced; there is an overwhelming economical pressure against it. Game
> publishers stand to lose substantial portions of their sales and they
can't
> agree to that.

True, but that doesn't mean it isn't the right path to take. I don't know
the specific politics but I would assume that with the game companies
getting richer and richer their lobbiests are getting stronger too, and so
that means you can buy a few politicians. But, the publishers aren't
selling the games, it's the retailers and those are the ones who
tradtionally bear the burden of the regulations. If a gas station clerk
sells a pack of Marlboros to a 14 year old, the cops don't fine Phillip
Morris. There are plenty of laws that restrict minors but give adults
freedom. They are as good as they are enforced. The crackdown on
cigarettes is much harser now that it was 20 year ago because society moved
in that direction. I don't see why a they can't make it work for video
games too.

> js> If there's an extremely violent movie about.. say... a man getting
> js> nailed to a cross... people don't start shouting that we should
ban
> js> violence in movies in order to protect children. Now, if Woody
> js> from toy story goes Hannibal on his fellow toys, that's going to
> js> get a reaction. The point is, some games are made for adult and
> js> some are for children. Same is true for games. Once that sinks
> js> into the minds of the public and our politicians, I doubt you'll
> js> hear as much about this issue.
>
> Fair enough. But if 70% of the audience for the Nailing Movie (tm) are
> kids, then you will have a hell of a time to enforce a rating system if it
> isn't already there.

But I thought we agreed there is a rating system there and you correctly
assumed I'm in favor of better enforcement of it while keeping censorship
out of the games so we adults can enjoy them.

> What you say above, that games have started as kid's
> toys and are still perceived as such, holds for the industry as much as
for
> the consumer.

I'm not so sure about that. We are talking about a million if not billion
dollar industry. They know the demographics of their customer base and they
know which demographics have the cash to make the purchases. Although I
don't have a lot of studies to site, it's my understanding that many if not
most gamers playing M rated games are older. Even so, you don't see Joe
Camel around anymore. The public cracked down on it and the marketing to
children was largely eliminated (at least in the US). Take away the
consumer (children) by regulating the product (violent games) and you will
take away the motivation (profits on said games) for the game industry to
market towards children.

> If film would have developped from kiddie cartoons, I believe
> we might have had a much harder time to introduce and enforce a system as
> we have it now. As it stands, films were historically considered to be for
> adults, and back in the 30s many parents did not want their kids to watch
> western.

True, and I think the idea of graphic novels or "adult annimation" has been
hard for the US public to absorb for the same reasons.

> Anyhow, there is a resistance from the side of the industry to enforcable
> labeling, and that increases the pressure on the other side, from social
> liberals (let's not spoil the kids for the sake of profit) and
> conservatives (is this what we call family values these days?) alike, to
> force a regulation.

True. But as social liberal myself, if it turns out there is a real link
between violence seen (or played) and violence commited, then I think
violent games should be banned from children... and well, that's why we have
the rating system we do however weakly enforced it might be. But again, as
a social liberal, I think adult should be free to do what the want as much
as possible even if that means playing violent video games which I
personally enjoy doing. Does that mean that the gaming industry will decide
to product less violent games in hopes of reaching a broader audience? Very
possibly, but that's capitalism. Hollywood is still making it's fair share
of violent films... more than enough for me personally (and I'm totally okay
with that, BTW... 1st ammendment).