Magazines Poll

Last response: in Home Audio
August 20, 2004 3:15:13 PM

I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.

John

More about : magazines poll

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:15:14 PM

In article <53lVc.179445$wH4.11870375@twister.southeast.rr.com>, jsp5646
@hotmail.com says...
> I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
> about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
> for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
> Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.
>
> John

Sound On Sound, definitely. And Tape Op is free!

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!

In article <MPG.1b8fc7be38d03be79897ee@news-east.giganews.com>,
Jay Levitt <jay+news@jay.fm> wrote:
>In article <53lVc.179445$wH4.11870375@twister.southeast.rr.com>, jsp5646
>@hotmail.com says...
>> I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
>> about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
>> for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
>> Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.
>
>Sound On Sound, definitely. And Tape Op is free!

Most of them are free if you ask nicely enough, but Tape Op is still a lot
of fun and might even be worth paying for.

Is Sound On Sound still around? Audio/Media isn't bad but it's not what it
used to be.

EQ and Mix have a very high advertising to content ratio and seem to talk
more about the industry than the technology, but that's not necessarily bad.

Recording and Electronic Musician are both a bit more about the technology.
For a long time I was saying that Recording was the only magazine with any
serious technology stuff left any more, but I honestly have to admit that
Electronic Musician is improving a lot.

Some of the more fringe magazines like Sound Practices and Vacuum Tube Valley
are well worth reading if you are into that particular fringe. I guess I
would put Tape Op in that category too. And Audio Express is the last real
DIY magazine left.
--scott

August 20, 2004 3:58:36 PM

I don't bother with most magazines at all any more... I can get enough
information from the internet, on web or usenet forums, or from online
magazines. Also the real-world reviews of gear on the 'net are far
preferable to the reviews in most magazines that are supported by gear
advertisement.

Al

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:15:13 GMT, "John Phillips"
<jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
>about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
>for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
>Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.
>
>John

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:40:04 PM

In article <53lVc.179445$wH4.11870375@twister.southeast.rr.com> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:

> I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
> about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
> for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
> Mix is a big one.

Nearly every issue of Recording will have some content that's useful
to just about anyone (not all the content for everyone but something
for just about anyone interested in music recording). Mix has more
pictures and ads so you can keep track of what you know nothing about
and can't afford.

Recording isn't free. Mix is almost always free. Spend your money on
Recording and look at the free pictures in Mix.

Whenever this question comes up, someone always puts in a plug for
Sound on Sound, a magazine published in the UK and not terribly well
distributed in the US. This means that the cost of mailing to the US
makes it prohibitive to most over here. Resolution is/was another UK
magazine that has attempted to pick up where Studio Sound, one of the
best, left off when it went under. I occasonally receive a "demo CD"
copy and have seen one paper issue. I don't know if they're still in
business, but like SOS, had no plans for US distribution last time I
heard.

August 20, 2004 7:19:57 PM

In article <MPG.1b8fc7be38d03be79897ee@news-east.giganews.com> jay+news@jay.fm writes:

> Sound On Sound, definitely. And Tape Op is free!

Much as I want to like Tape Op, it just doesn't seem to have any
substance. But it's entertaining to read.

August 20, 2004 8:07:09 PM

Scott wrote:
> Some of the more fringe magazines like Sound Practices and Vacuum Tube
Valley
> are well worth reading if you are into that particular fringe. I guess I
> would put Tape Op in that category too. And Audio Express is the last
real
> DIY magazine left.

They're spelling it "audioXpress" now, in case you've been googling with no
luck.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:13:19 PM

subscribe to Tape-Op - it's free - and very inspiring
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:20:02 AM

"John Phillips" <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some
opinions
> about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to
one
> for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also
know
> Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.

Most of those magazines archives are online for free. Check them out there.
Sound-on-Sound only allows full access once the articles are 6 months old
but "the basics" of recording haven't really changed so all you'll be losing
is reviews on the latest gear. There's plenty online if you look to keep you
from needing to purchase anything for a long time (if ever).
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 7:03:51 AM

John Phillips: << I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to
get some opinions
about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to one
for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also know
Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated. >>

Recording will offer you the most articles to increase your knowledge. EQ,
Recording and Electronic Musician have all become computer recording magazines,
for the most part. Mix pays a hair more attention to real gear and is slightly
more oriented to professional studios. Perhaps the most fun is TapeOp, which
seems to cater to all strains of recording, but they seem to be too much in
favor of one style of music for my taste. And, of course, TapeOp is free.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:51:15 PM

Jim Kollens <jimkollens@aol.com> wrote:

>Recording will offer you the most articles to increase your knowledge. EQ,
>Recording and Electronic Musician have all become computer recording magazines,
>for the most part. Mix pays a hair more attention to real gear and is slightly
>more oriented to professional studios. Perhaps the most fun is TapeOp, which
>seems to cater to all strains of recording, but they seem to be too much in
>favor of one style of music for my taste. And, of course, TapeOp is free.

Tape Op's historical articles about how older productions are done are
hard to beat. Some of their articles about current production work have
some errors, but are still fun to read. Their reviews are all over the
place because their reviewers are all over the place, but they are still
interesting to read to get a sense of what people in general think about
a product (though often very novice people).

Although I would take most information in it with a grain of salt, it is
still a really fun read every month, and it is one of the few audio magazines
that I would actually pay for if I had to.
--scott
August 21, 2004 3:23:35 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Jim Kollens <jimkollens@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the most fun is TapeOp, which seems to cater to all
>> strains of recording, but they seem to be too much in favor of
>> one style of music for my taste. And, of course, TapeOp is free.
>

> Tape Op's historical articles about how older productions are done are
> hard to beat. Some of their articles about current production work have
> some errors, but are still fun to read. Their reviews are all over the
> place because their reviewers are all over the place, but they are still
> interesting to read to get a sense of what people in general think about
> a product (though often very novice people).

And they appear to be having fun.

> Although I would take most information in it with a grain of salt, it is
> still a really fun read every month, and it is one of the few audio magazines
> that I would actually pay for if I had to.

What he said.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 10:15:10 PM

I already subscribe, I enjoy it!

John

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
> > Some of the more fringe magazines like Sound Practices and Vacuum Tube
> Valley
> > are well worth reading if you are into that particular fringe. I guess
> > would put Tape Op in that category too. And Audio Express is the last
> real
> > DIY magazine left.
>
> They're spelling it "audioXpress" now, in case you've been googling with
no
> luck.
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 10:16:07 PM

I am trying to learn the basics and intermediate stuff.

John

> In article <MPG.1b8fc7be38d03be79897ee@news-east.giganews.com>
jay+news@jay.fm writes:

> > Sound On Sound, definitely. And Tape Op is free!
>
> Much as I want to like Tape Op, it just doesn't seem to have any
> substance. But it's entertaining to read.

August 21, 2004 10:27:18 PM

Thanks for the information, I have just subscribed to TapeOp and am
considering Recording but that will take some more thought first. I will
buy a couple of the favorites and decide from reading them. I just did not
want to try all of them at first.

Thanks again everyone!

John

"John Phillips" <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some
opinions
> about the groups favorite magazines. I will probably just subscribe to
one
> for now. Looking at their website, Recording looks interesting, I also
know
> Mix is a big one. All thoughts are appreciated.
>
> John

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 10:41:45 PM

In article <HjMVc.179789$wH4.12034686@twister.southeast.rr.com> jsp5646@hotmail.com writes:

> I am trying to learn the basics and intermediate stuff.

It's hard to draw any lines. They told me to write about basic stuff
and in 4-1/2 years I covered things like reading a block diagram,
soldering and building cables, grounding, analog interfacing, digital
interfacing, designing a patchbay, interpreting meters, microphone
basics (yup), mic accessories (stands, cables, clamps),
synchronization, power supplies, reverberation, equalization, how to
design and build little problem-solvers, mic preamps, digital
consoles . . . some of that stuff took material from the AES journal.
Some of it came from old books, some I made up.

Bottom line - there's no such thing as "beginner" material. If you
don't keep your head in the sand and are willing to do some work, it's
all useful eventually.

August 22, 2004 2:14:18 AM

John Phillips <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the information, I have just subscribed to TapeOp and am
>considering Recording but that will take some more thought first. I will
>buy a couple of the favorites and decide from reading them. I just did not
>want to try all of them at first.

If you want to learn about recording, get at least a couple issues of
Recording magazine. If you want to learn about the recording industry,
get at least a couple issues of Mix.
--scott

August 23, 2004 6:30:23 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:27:18 GMT, "John Phillips" <jsp5646@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the information, I have just subscribed to TapeOp and am
>considering Recording but that will take some more thought first. I will
>buy a couple of the favorites and decide from reading them. I just did not
>want to try all of them at first.

Don't overlook books, too. The thing about magazines... well, material
that's already been covered is gonna "come around" again, of course.
Not that it hurts to read about something you already know, or anything
like that, but... anyway, don't overlook books.

(I'm fairly certain you'll enjoy Tape Op, it's always a high point in my day,
when I find the new issue in my mailbox. Recording was always among
my favorites, as well, but my 'scrip ran out some time ago, and... times is
a bit hard, these days.)

Jeff

http://www.jefftturner.com
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:39:19 PM

<< I am in the learning stages of recording and would like to get some opinions
about the groups favorite magazines. >>

New Yorker. It won't educate you about audio, but neither will any of the
others, & it will definitely make you a more educated person about the world in
general.

Scott Fraser
!