DVD-ROM Won't Play Video

I am building my first PC. I have connected my DVD-ROM drive to primary master IDE1 while the two HDDs are connected to IDE3 & 4 for RAID0 setup. Then I installed Win2000 and PowerDVD 4.0.

However, I can't get my DVD-ROM to play any DVD video discs using the PowerDVD software. I can't even view the disc content from Windows Explorer. It keeps prompting "please insert a disc in drive E:" although a disc is already there. I have tried different DVD video dics (which have no problem in other PCs) but failed. Suprisingly, my DVD-ROM can play/read VCDs, audio CDs and Data CD. I tried to set the region code of my DVD-ROM from Windows' device manager, but it also gave the same insert-disc prompt.

I noticed in the device manager that the properties of my DVD-ROM reads "Standard CD-ROM drives". Does Win2000 come with a driver for DVD-ROM? Or the standard CD-ROM driver works for both CD- and DVD-ROM? I am not sure what I have done wrong. Can anyone please just tell me the proper steps of installing DVD-ROMs? Thanks.

Here is my spec:
Gigabyte GA-8IEXP, P4 2.26B, 512Mb RAM, ATA-133 80Gb HDD x 2, Lite-On LTD-163D DVD-ROM, Ricoh CD-RW, GF4 Ti4200.

Many thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about play video
  1. Have you checked your manufacturer's web site? Usually they have a knowledge base or FAQ area where common questions are answered. They also have firmware and driver updates. Generally speaking, you shouldn't need a driver for any CD/DVD-ROM drive.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET
  2. I've had problems like this with a promise controller. A bios update (if there is one) should solve it

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Video CD-Rom Storage