Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Help! mystery problem with the wireless router.

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 27, 2012 10:33:57 AM

Hi guys. Need help with my laptop's internet speed!!!

The problem started yesterday when i connected my newly bought Samsung galaxy phone to my laptop (Dell xps l501x) using intel mywifi technology. I also connected and transferred some files using kies air phone utility. I connect to the internet using a wifi router and i get maximum speed wherever i am in the house. Not anymore! Right after i disconnected my phone from the mywifi thing, my actual internet speeds on the laptop went way way down. The connection has become unstable too. The thing is, if i connect to the same wifi router with my phone or my other dell laptop (n5010), the speeds are just fine. Or if i use the ethernet cable, i can get maximum speeds on my dell xps as well. The problem is when i try to connect wirelessly. It has an intel centrino ultimate N-6300 wifi card and i have downloaded and installed the latest drivers just to be sure but the problem remains. Have also tried playing with the wireless adapters settings but i only SOMETIMES get full speed which eventually dies down and websites take forever to load. All the while my phone and dell n5010 connect at full speed. I have been using my dell xps for months without problems at default settings. Im going crazy trying to figure what in the world is going on. Sometimes it wouldn't connect. Sometimes it would and wont load webpages. Sometimes it would connect and i get 1-2KB/s download. And sometimes full speed. The only other thing i can think of is that i recently moved my wifi router closer to where my laptop is. But that should only increase the speed not destroy it. Please help! Thank you.

More about : mystery problem wireless router

a b D Laptop
July 27, 2012 10:05:04 PM

This is a bit of a guess, but it sounds like you used/configured your laptop's wireless adapter as a wifi hotspot for your phone, at least for a while. If that's true, and your laptop is still setup as a wifi hotspot, that might be the problem.

Whenever you use a wireless adapter to support both a wireless client (to a wireless router) *and* establish a wifi hotspot (AP), that requires that the wireless adapter constantly toggle between both modes, and that can prove highly inefficient. So while it may work, it may not be the best solution for the long term. And if you're not actively using the wifi hotspot, you should make sure it's disabled.
m
l
July 28, 2012 12:31:21 AM

eibgrad said:
This is a bit of a guess, but it sounds like you used/configured your laptop's wireless adapter as a wifi hotspot for your phone, at least for a while. If that's true, and your laptop is still setup as a wifi hotspot, that might be the problem.

Whenever you use a wireless adapter to support both a wireless client (to a wireless router) *and* establish a wifi hotspot (AP), that requires that the wireless adapter constantly toggle between both modes, and that can prove highly inefficient. So while it may work, it may not be the best solution for the long term. And if you're not actively using the wifi hotspot, you should make sure it's disabled.

Thanks for replying. I used it as a hotspot only for like 15 minutes and then switched it off.

UPDATE: i installed the latest drivers from the intel website this time (dell support website apparently has outdated drivers) and everything seems to be working ok :)  Makes me wonder, why such a sudden need for driver update when everything was working just fine before i connected my phone to the laptop. Anyways, if the problem comes back i will be back ;) 
m
l