The Crisp Clear sound of AC97!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just replaced my board and decided to try the AC97, just to see. Amazed by the crisp clear sound! Like a well tuned tin can! Very little fidelity, it sounds like I hooked a great pair of speakers to a cheap walman...wait, I do have great speakers. Well, at least it's not fuzzy. I'll put my glorious SQ2500 in sooner or later.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Eeek! I didn't like my IT7's (now returned) onboard sound one bit. Sure, it's 6-channel sound but it's based on AC97. It's nothing compared to my Santa Cruz. I'll never part with my Santa Cruz! :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Ah...but do I sense a touch of sarcasm in your humor, or were you simply fishing for charlie tuna? I must say that AC97 bait does sound tempting, but I believe it may blow my $19.99 speaker, so I'll pass on that one.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I haven't been doing a lot of gaming lately, or much else entertainment on my PC. My AC97 sound won't even run when I overclock to 174MHz FSB, so I'll have to put my soundcard back in.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ATP3X" target="_new">HERE YOU GO</A> These are the speakers I use, originally priced three years ago at $150, they still sound awesome for $35.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
They look nice also, but I know you'll be glad to forsake that AC97 onboard sound.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
After listening to the 3 piece and 5 piece sets, I've concluded that the 5 piece set overwhelms the wolfer with too many satelights. So it's better to have two 3 peice sets than one 5 piece set.