Brothers in Arms...why is it a laggin PIG ?

My god, I wouldn't mind the 3 min to load a bloddy chaper if this game was good
and smooth.

Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
2 Gig Ram
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200

and even with every graphic and setting turned down, it is still somewhat jerky
to move around. It reminded me of the first time I loaded up Doom 3 and tried a
quick mouse turn around.

What is wrong with this picture? I even have the new patch applied. Can this
game be this bad for something so new?

Agreed. HL2 runs GREAT on my TI4200 at 1024x768 with all graphics on
high. No games so far have made my card lag. Was interested in Brothers
in Arms but will have to give it a second thought now.

hank

Thats whats wrong with your picture. One word "upgrade".

Thankyou and goodbye.

>Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
>2 Gig Ram
>Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200
>
>and even with every graphic and setting turned down, it is still somewhat jerky
>to move around. It reminded me of the first time I loaded up Doom 3 and tried a
>quick mouse turn around.
>What is wrong with this picture? I even have the new patch applied. Can this
>game be this bad for something so new?
>
>Thats whats wrong with your picture. One word "upgrade".

>Thankyou and goodbye.

Please. You can't tell me that every other game out there can pump out
1600x1200 on that video card and on my system so smooth and I should upgrade for
this single game?

critic <ccijob@dkdf.com> once tried to test me with:

>>Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
>>2 Gig Ram
>>Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200
>>
>>and even with every graphic and setting turned down, it is still
>>somewhat jerky to move around. It reminded me of the first time I
>>loaded up Doom 3 and tried a quick mouse turn around.
>>What is wrong with this picture? I even have the new patch applied.
>>Can this game be this bad for something so new?
>>
>>Thats whats wrong with your picture. One word "upgrade".
>
>>Thankyou and goodbye.
>
> Please. You can't tell me that every other game out there can pump
> out 1600x1200 on that video card and on my system so smooth and I
> should upgrade for this single game?

Every other game? Like which ones?

I agree that that's no slouch of a video card, in it's day, but it ain't no
spring chicken no more. Of course, I don't have Brothers in Arms so I have
no clue what they might be doing that would demand a massive video card.

You mentioned Doom 3, does it run smooth at 1600x1200 on that card?

What about Half-Life 2?

Far Cry?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

schrodinger

"critic" <ccijob@dkdf.com> wrote in message
> My god, I wouldn't mind the 3 min to load a bloddy chaper if this game was
> good
> and smooth.
>
> Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
> 2 Gig Ram
> Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200
>
> and even with every graphic and setting turned down, it is still somewhat
> jerky
> to move around. It reminded me of the first time I loaded up Doom 3 and
> tried a
> quick mouse turn around.
>
> What is wrong with this picture? I even have the new patch applied. Can
> this
> game be this bad for something so new?

Trying to get in with the first April Fool's day post?

Hey, don't believe me if you want. 60fps on most levels, the lowest
that I get is 30fps in the water levels. Sorry if you don't like it.

OK, Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.4ghz
512MB Ram
Ti4200 64mb video card

Running HL2 at 1024x768 no AA no AF
All graphics on high - except shadows? - might be on medium (can't
remember!)
Sound setting for 2 speakers
Using DX8 water reflection patch (to give water DX9-type reflectivity)
Vsync off

Can't remember the other settings.
Most levels run at a steady 60 fps - water levels drop to 30fps but
still very, very playable.

Game looks great in DX8.1 - don't feel like I am missing anything by
not having a DX9 card.

No significant stuttering problems. Levels load in about 20-30 seconds.
Oh yeah, I have the game installed on a secondary hard drive - not the
same drive as my WinXP operating system

Have a nice day!

On 31 Mar 2005 20:13:03 -0800, "Hank" <admin@cellsounds.co.nz> wrote:

>>Agreed. HL2 runs GREAT on my TI4200 at 1024x768 with all graphics on
>>high. No games so far have made my card lag. Was interested in Brothers
>>in Arms but will have to give it a second thought now.

>* cough * aherm * bullshit * cough............

HL2 does indeed run great on a TI4200 at 1024x768 with a powerful
system behind it. Athlon XP3200 for me and i agree with him. The
reason is because HL2 runs the DX8 codepath instead of the DX9 one
which the ti4200 can't run. So in some cases the game is actually
faster on a TI4200 than it would be on a much more powerful card just
because it's running dx8 instead of dx9.

Us 4200 people miss out on the really extreme reflections off the
water and ... um... the high density lighting... and... i really
can't remember the other things. But it still looks amazing.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"critic" <ccijob@dkdf.com> wrote in message
> My god, I wouldn't mind the 3 min to load a bloddy chaper if this game was
> good
> and smooth.
>
> Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz
> 2 Gig Ram
> Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200
>
> and even with every graphic and setting turned down, it is still somewhat
> jerky
> to move around. It reminded me of the first time I loaded up Doom 3 and
> tried a
> quick mouse turn around.
>
> What is wrong with this picture? I even have the new patch applied. Can
> this
> game be this bad for something so new?

turn OFF vsync - for some reason it slows this game down and causes
horrendous

Andrew

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:20:22 -0500, kevins_news
<kevins_news@n0spam.rogers.com> wrote:

>HL2 does indeed run great on a TI4200 at 1024x768 with a powerful
>system behind it. Athlon XP3200 for me and i agree with him. The
>reason is because HL2 runs the DX8 codepath instead of the DX9 one
>which the ti4200 can't run. So in some cases the game is actually
>faster on a TI4200 than it would be on a much more powerful card just
>because it's running dx8 instead of dx9.
>
>Us 4200 people miss out on the really extreme reflections off the
>water and ... um... the high density lighting... and... i really
>can't remember the other things. But it still looks amazing.

My 9700 Pro just died and I have had to revert to a GF3 and it plays
HL2 really well, I am amazed!

Mike

Splendid

WTT:
I want to upgrade my 9800 pro to a ti4200. Someone with one of these fine
cards please contact me.

Mike

Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:20:22 -0500, kevins_news
> <kevins_news@n0spam.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> HL2 does indeed run great on a TI4200 at 1024x768 with a powerful
>> system behind it. Athlon XP3200 for me and i agree with him. The
>> reason is because HL2 runs the DX8 codepath instead of the DX9 one
>> which the ti4200 can't run. So in some cases the game is actually
>> faster on a TI4200 than it would be on a much more powerful card just
>> because it's running dx8 instead of dx9.
>>
>> Us 4200 people miss out on the really extreme reflections off the
>> water and ... um... the high density lighting... and... i really
>> can't remember the other things. But it still looks amazing.
>
> My 9700 Pro just died and I have had to revert to a GF3 and it plays
> HL2 really well, I am amazed!

Don't know about HL2 (I play that on my main machine only), but I can run
Vampire: Bloodlines surprisingly well on a thinkpad laptop with a 32MB Ati
mobility 7500. Very few noticeable slowndowns, and really smooth sailing
99% of the time.

On the other hand the first KOTOR won't even start.

Andrew

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:14:12 GMT, "Mike" <mikepos1@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>WTT:
>I want to upgrade my 9800 pro to a ti4200. Someone with one of these fine
>cards please contact me.

Run the game in DX8 mode like the 4200 then it will fly on your 9800
Pro.

frodo

>Run the game in DX8 mode like the 4200 then it will fly on your 9800
>Pro.

How exactly do you run the game in DX8 mode? I though it was a DX9 game only
and there was no choise.

Andrew

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:55:05 -0600, frodo <fro@do.do> wrote:

>How exactly do you run the game in DX8 mode? I though it was a DX9 game only
>and there was no choise.

There is a command line switch something like -dx81, google is your
friend.

Exactly, and the Ti4200 is one of the best "older" cards out there. I
would, however, trade you for your 9800 pro if you really wanted to.

When I do upgrade, it will be to a 9800XT as soon as I can get one for
a decent price (under $100).

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:20:22 -0500, kevins_news
>> <kevins_news@n0spam.rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> HL2 does indeed run great on a TI4200 at 1024x768 with a powerful
>>> system behind it. Athlon XP3200 for me and i agree with him. The
>>> reason is because HL2 runs the DX8 codepath instead of the DX9 one
>>> which the ti4200 can't run. So in some cases the game is actually
>>> faster on a TI4200 than it would be on a much more powerful card just
>>> because it's running dx8 instead of dx9.
>>>
>>> Us 4200 people miss out on the really extreme reflections off the
>>> water and ... um... the high density lighting... and... i really
>>> can't remember the other things. But it still looks amazing.
>>
>> My 9700 Pro just died and I have had to revert to a GF3 and it plays
>> HL2 really well, I am amazed!

HL2 was designed to still run good on older / 'sub par' hardware.

Hi,

Gil <gilbertviolette@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
#Exactly, and the Ti4200 is one of the best "older" cards out there. I
#would, however, trade you for your 9800 pro if you really wanted to.

hehe Yeah mine was great until last year, unfortunately it was a PNY so
it died.

#When I do upgrade, it will be to a 9800XT as soon as I can get one for
#a decent price (under $100).

Did you mean 9600XT? ATi 9800XT availability is nearly gone, it has
exited the marketplace, so prices never had a chance to come down.

Unless you meant used, but for it to get that low, means you have to
wait for someone to forget what they payed for it. Considering what they
did/do cost, that'll be a long while...

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!