Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Surround Sound Headphones

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 5:59:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have been searching for an item for a very long time and I am hoping
someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pair of surround
sound or virtual surround sound headphones that can connect to a
common CD player via standard plug, do not reqire any extra power
source (ie batteries or plug), are wired (NOT wireless), and do not
say surround sound anywhere on them. If anybody has or knows of a pair
of headphones that match this description, I would REALLY REALLY
appreciate it if you could inform me where I could get them. I would
be willing to pay a lot.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:13:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

dacostpa wrote:

> I have been searching for an item for a very long time and I am hoping
> someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pair of surround
> sound or virtual surround sound headphones that can connect to a
> common CD player via standard plug, do not reqire any extra power
> source (ie batteries or plug), are wired (NOT wireless), and do not
> say surround sound anywhere on them.

Two channel stero from a common CD doesn't have the
information in it to yield surround. There are 'phones with
external DSP boxes that create a binaural image of two
speakers in a room but I do not remember who makes them,
Sony comes to mind but I'm not certain. I know that doesn't
really help you much other than to say it exists.

I've no idea whether they might say surround on them but any
product that gave such an image would almost undoubtedly say so.

> If anybody has or knows of a pair
> of headphones that match this description, I would REALLY REALLY
> appreciate it if you could inform me where I could get them. I would
> be willing to pay a lot.

Depending on what a lot means and how soon you need it, I
could build what I've described for you (and it wouldn't say
"surround" anywhere on it.) :-)

Also it is possible to make such a system that would map
5.1, B-format or other multi-channel input to a binaural
approximation that would be pretty darned plausable.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that much of the cue
we use to locate sound around us appropriately depend on
head motion to create variation that sorts it out. Sensing
head motion must be in a feedback loop that modifies the
image as you move. That's also doable for 'phones but
requires a whole lot of Hzpower. Because of that and the
requisite sensors, it would be quite expensive. It'd be a
whole hell of a lot of fun, though, to make and to hear.


Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:25:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

dacostpa <dacostpa@muohio.edu> wrote:
>I have been searching for an item for a very long time and I am hoping
>someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pair of surround
>sound or virtual surround sound headphones that can connect to a
>common CD player via standard plug, do not reqire any extra power
>source (ie batteries or plug), are wired (NOT wireless), and do not
>say surround sound anywhere on them. If anybody has or knows of a pair
>of headphones that match this description, I would REALLY REALLY
>appreciate it if you could inform me where I could get them. I would
>be willing to pay a lot.

What do you want them to do? Do you want them to decode matrix tracks
in some format or another and then simulate surround?

The Lucas system from Sennheiser might be a good place to start.
--scott


--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Related resources
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:06:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <cba1bd4.0408201259.1015e327@posting.google.com> dacostpa@muohio.edu writes:

> I have been searching for an item for a very long time and I am hoping
> someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pair of surround
> sound or virtual surround sound headphones that can connect to a
> common CD player via standard plug, do not reqire any extra power
> source (ie batteries or plug), are wired (NOT wireless), and do not
> say surround sound anywhere on them.

You might try a set of Ultrasone headphones. They use some sort of
trick putting the diaphragm off center which has the effect of making
things panned to the center seem more forward. I don't think they say
"surround" on them, but if they do, you can always cover it up with
gaffer tape.

> appreciate it if you could inform me where I could get them. I would
> be willing to pay a lot.

That's good, because they have three models that are in the $190-300
ballpark. I'll only charge you $50 for the information. <g>

http://www.ultrasoneusa.com/sitemap.php Sorry, it's one of those
flash web sites that we love to hate.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:21:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Bob Cain wrote:

>
>
> dacostpa wrote:
>
>> I have been searching for an item for a very long time and I am hoping
>> someone out there can help me. I am looking for a pair of surround
>> sound or virtual surround sound headphones that can connect to a
>> common CD player via standard plug, do not reqire any extra power
>> source (ie batteries or plug), are wired (NOT wireless), and do not
>> say surround sound anywhere on them.
>
>
> Two channel stero from a common CD doesn't have the information in it to
> yield surround. There are 'phones with external DSP boxes that create a
> binaural image of two speakers in a room but I do not remember who makes
> them, Sony comes to mind but I'm not certain. I know that doesn't
> really help you much other than to say it exists.
>
> I've no idea whether they might say surround on them but any product
> that gave such an image would almost undoubtedly say so.
>
>> If anybody has or knows of a pair
>> of headphones that match this description, I would REALLY REALLY
>> appreciate it if you could inform me where I could get them. I would
>> be willing to pay a lot.
>
>
> Depending on what a lot means and how soon you need it, I could build
> what I've described for you (and it wouldn't say "surround" anywhere on
> it.) :-)
>
> Also it is possible to make such a system that would map 5.1, B-format
> or other multi-channel input to a binaural approximation that would be
> pretty darned plausable.
>
> One thing to keep in mind, however, is that much of the cue we use to
> locate sound around us appropriately depend on head motion to create
> variation that sorts it out. Sensing head motion must be in a feedback
> loop that modifies the image as you move. That's also doable for
> 'phones but requires a whole lot of Hzpower. Because of that and the
> requisite sensors, it would be quite expensive. It'd be a whole hell of
> a lot of fun, though, to make and to hear.
>
>
> Bob

Actually you can encode 6 (5.1) channels in a stereo CD using ProLogic
II (and DTS Neo seems to be trying to go the same way), so a CD can
withold information in two analog sound channels that spreads over to
5.1 if decoded... stereo compatible :-) yet multichannel too.

I think there are some headphones with 4 speakers (so you'll hear
surround) but they do not decode and usually are acompanied by some gear
that decodes the surround prior to sending the signal to the headphones.

Sony has something if I'm not mistaken, that gets the surround data
decoded and then sent by radio to the speakers (so it's wireless).

Kind Regards,
AMR
http://www.alvaromrocha.com
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:21:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

AMR wrote:

> Actually you can encode 6 (5.1) channels in a stereo CD using ProLogic
> II (and DTS Neo seems to be trying to go the same way), so a CD can
> withold information in two analog sound channels that spreads over to
> 5.1 if decoded... stereo compatible :-) yet multichannel too.

Forgot about that. Then, yes, what you want could be made
with a box receiving the decoded multi-channel signal and a
DSP with some pretty serious Hzpower. The solution is also
very amenable to a multi-DSP imlementation if no single one
can hack the processing requirement. The output would be a
reasonably faithful binaural representation of that
multi-channel input. I don't think you are going to find
anything that outputs that multi-channel data digitally,
though so the box also requires multi-channel A/D
converters. Puting the decoders in the box would require
some serious royalty payments and iron clad non-disclosure
agreements. I doubt a little guy or outfit would even be
considered for a license.

>
> I think there are some headphones with 4 speakers (so you'll hear
> surround) but they do not decode and usually are acompanied by some gear
> that decodes the surround prior to sending the signal to the headphones.

I have serious doubts about the efficacy of such 'phones but
have not heard them to qualify any opinion.


Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:30:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Try a company named Auri. they have something like that.

Phil
!