SH3: Aghtung! Lethal key!

My court marshal will take place soon, for murdering 7 of my crew members.
Whilst maneuvering the boat during the shelling of an enemy ship, I wanted
to set "rudder amidships" (' key), but pressed the key next door (; key)
which is "snorkel depth". I drowned my Watch Officer and 3 gun crew. :(

After resurfacing, I used "crew mode" to drag another gun crew on deck which
I had to manage myself in the absence of a WO. Their shooting was poor and
reloading slow but the battle was going my way until, you guessed it, I
drowned them too by pressing ';' again by mistake.

After resurfacing, I used "crew mode" to drag another gun crew on deck, but
the target was getting out of range. I gave the 'full ahead' order to chase
it but received the response "cannot comply" from the Chief Engineer, he
didn't say why but it seems there were not enough crew left to manage the
engines. :)

Crazy game, crazy but beautiful!

Is there no key remapping function? I'd like to move the "snorkel depth"
button to a safer place.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:03:42 +0200, Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:

>My court marshal will take place soon, for murdering 7 of my crew members.
>Whilst maneuvering the boat during the shelling of an enemy ship, I wanted
>to set "rudder amidships" (' key), but pressed the key next door (; key)
>which is "snorkel depth". I drowned my Watch Officer and 3 gun crew. :(

They aren't dead, when you dive all crew are smart enough to get in
the sub first. Your watch officer should be in one of the crew
quarters.

>Is there no key remapping function? I'd like to move the "snorkel depth"
>button to a safer place.

You can remap the keys via the config files.
Inside your SH directory go to data/cfg and edit the commands_en.cfg
file.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

shawk

Johnny Bravo wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:03:42 +0200, Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
>

>>My court marshal will take place soon, for murdering 7 of my crew members.
>>Whilst maneuvering the boat during the shelling of an enemy ship, I wanted
>>to set "rudder amidships" (' key), but pressed the key next door (; key)
>>which is "snorkel depth". I drowned my Watch Officer and 3 gun crew. :(
>

> They aren't dead, when you dive all crew are smart enough to get in
> the sub first. Your watch officer should be in one of the crew
> quarters.

Oh don't spoil it Johnny - I was pi$$ing myself at Doug's descriptions :)

Haven't got the game but it sounds a lot of fun.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:52:32 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Johnny Bravo wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:03:42 +0200, Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
>>

>>>My court marshal will take place soon, for murdering 7 of my crew members.
>>>Whilst maneuvering the boat during the shelling of an enemy ship, I wanted
>>>to set "rudder amidships" (' key), but pressed the key next door (; key)
>>>which is "snorkel depth". I drowned my Watch Officer and 3 gun crew. :(
>>

>> They aren't dead, when you dive all crew are smart enough to get in
>> the sub first. Your watch officer should be in one of the crew
>> quarters.
>>

>Oh don't spoil it Johnny - I was pi$$ing myself at Doug's descriptions :)
>
>Haven't got the game but it sounds a lot of fun.

I just got it and am finding it tough going but fun. The first thing I tried
after navigating was manual firing of torpedos.......ah heck that! I have a new
found respect for those guys now and don't think I'll watch Das Boot the same
way ever again.

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:03:42 +0200, Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:
>
> >My court marshal will take place soon, for murdering 7 of my crew
members.
> >Whilst maneuvering the boat during the shelling of an enemy ship, I
wanted
> >to set "rudder amidships" (' key), but pressed the key next door (; key)
> >which is "snorkel depth". I drowned my Watch Officer and 3 gun crew. :(
>
> They aren't dead, when you dive all crew are smart enough to get in
> the sub first. Your watch officer should be in one of the crew
> quarters.

Phew! There I was wondering what I was going to tell their wives and
children. :) Strange though, the WO's icon was blacked out and he was
unavailable. What's the f&^#^r doing going beddy-byes in the midst of battle
anyway, a court marshal is still in order..... his!

> >Is there no key remapping function? I'd like to move the "snorkel depth"
> >button to a safer place.
>
> You can remap the keys via the config files.
> Inside your SH directory go to data/cfg and edit the commands_en.cfg
> file.

Thanks for that, gonna move it FAR away. ;)

wrote:

>Oh don't spoil it Johnny - I was pi$$ing myself at Doug's descriptions :)
>
>Haven't got the game but it sounds a lot of fun.

Don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. This game does have
its share of bugs (some quite big), no need to let people think they
are even more of them. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:21:48 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I just got it and am finding it tough going but fun. The first thing I tried
>after navigating was manual firing of torpedos.......ah heck that! I have a new
>found respect for those guys now and don't think I'll watch Das Boot the same
>way ever again.

Just like Aces of the Deep, plot out the course, get ahead of the
target in a good firing postion (90 degrees from the course and 500
yards out), and just fire for the target as soon as it crosses your
track *BOOM* You'll hit about 9 meters back from the aim point per
knot of speed of the target. You can use the ship recognition manual
to tell how long the ship and can put a torpedo pretty much anywhere
in the target you want it with a little practice.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:56:36 +0200, Doug_Dread@eskom.co.za wrote:

>Phew! There I was wondering what I was going to tell their wives and
>children. :) Strange though, the WO's icon was blacked out and he was
>unavailable. What's the f&^#^r doing going beddy-byes in the midst of battle
>anyway, a court marshal is still in order..... his!

It's blacked out because it's just a location and you don't man the
watch station when it's under water. The actual portraits are your
officers, you don't have one for every compartment. When you surface
you can drag an officer back to the WO station.

>> >Is there no key remapping function? I'd like to move the "snorkel depth"
>> >button to a safer place.
>>
>> You can remap the keys via the config files.
>> Inside your SH directory go to data/cfg and edit the commands_en.cfg
>> file.
>>

>Thanks for that, gonna move it FAR away. ;)

While you are at it, remap the enter key, it defaults to firing the
selected torpedo, most annoying. :) My current setup has the defaults
of + to increase time compression, - to slow it down and I changed
Enter to stop time compression (I use the keypad for managing time
compression).

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft