Can someone help me understand this mixer please ?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 21, 2004 3:16:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi,

I've been given an old Teac (Tascam) "Model 3" mixer and I'm
relatively new to mixers and don't understand some of it's functions.
I'm part of a trio who play live with our own PA (basic powered
mixer).

I have ordered some manuals for it, but I really need to start working
with it before they arrive as we have a gig in 7 days time and I'd
like to see what benefit it could bring to our setup.

So.... could someone please help me with a couple of questions ?

First, the mixer is an "8:4:2" - What does the '4' relate to ?

Halfway down each channel there is a vertical line of 5 latching
push-button switches, labelled "Assign" and numbered 'D' and '1'
through '4'. On the right side of the mixer there is a similar
section labelled "Mon Select" but with two vertical lines of switches
('Left' and 'Right'), numbered '1' through '4' (no 'D').

What does this do ?

Lastly, (and thanks for reading this far !) there is a section on the
right with 8 pairs of pots 'gain' and 'pan', numbered 1 through 8
labelled 'submix'. Where can I learn what this does ?

Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Kev.

More about : understand mixer

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:16:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:16:19 -0400, pcmangler2000@hotmail.com wrote
(in article <gpvci09abk23vostjd1cfropc3vhic1t17@4ax.com>):

> Hi,
>
> I've been given an old Teac (Tascam) "Model 3" mixer and I'm
> relatively new to mixers and don't understand some of it's functions.
> I'm part of a trio who play live with our own PA (basic powered
> mixer).
>
> I have ordered some manuals for it, but I really need to start working
> with it before they arrive as we have a gig in 7 days time and I'd
> like to see what benefit it could bring to our setup.
>
> So.... could someone please help me with a couple of questions ?
>
> First, the mixer is an "8:4:2" - What does the '4' relate to ?
>
> Halfway down each channel there is a vertical line of 5 latching
> push-button switches, labelled "Assign" and numbered 'D' and '1'
> through '4'. On the right side of the mixer there is a similar
> section labelled "Mon Select" but with two vertical lines of switches
> ('Left' and 'Right'), numbered '1' through '4' (no 'D').
>
> What does this do ?
>

> Lastly, (and thanks for reading this far !) there is a section on the
> right with 8 pairs of pots 'gain' and 'pan', numbered 1 through 8
> labelled 'submix'. Where can I learn what this does ?
>
> Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kev.

Well into the wayback machine we go! Um 1973 I think.

8:4:2 meant, as I recall, 8 inputs, four busses and a stereo output.

I had a model 3 that wasn't quite as fancy. (Still have it, matter of fact).

There should be four outputs numbered 1-4 on the back. those are the 4 of the
8:4:2. You can assign each input to any of the four output busses.

Dunno what D means, direct output? Is there a jack field on the back with D
outputs or maybe a D output on each of the eight input modules?

As to the Mon Select function, is there a Mon output on the back? When
attached to monitors or headphone amp, it likely routes audio based of which
of the four pairs (left and right) of those two vertical lines of buttons.

I'm guessing, again, that the 8 pairs of gain and pan pots feed a submix out.
Is there a submix out set of jacks on the back?

The model 3 also had insert jacks for each input. The model 3 came with
little RCA male to male jumpers that connected the insert input to output.
You had to use them unless you had something plugged into the insert, or the
channel would not conduct. Many of these got lost along the way.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 3:16:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> First, the mixer is an "8:4:2" - What does the '4' relate to ?

Busses. They're a method of grouping channels...

For example, you could assign all the vocals to a group. Then, when you want
to raise/lower the level of all the vocals, just move the group fader,
rather than each vocal fader.

Eric
August 21, 2004 4:42:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

If I recall...D was a direct out on an RCA and the "submix" section was a
tape return monitor. Like Ty said..set the wayback machine for the early
70s, the memories are getting a bit hazy..
Karl
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:05:58 AM

E. Hill wrote:

>>First, the mixer is an "8:4:2" - What does the '4' relate to ?
>

> Busses. They're a method of grouping channels...
>
> For example, you could assign all the vocals to a group. Then, when you want
> to raise/lower the level of all the vocals, just move the group fader,
> rather than each vocal fader.

Or another way of looking at it is it's sorta like plugging a mixer
into another mixer. You start with 8 channels of stuff, and then
you mix the 8 channels down to 4. And then you start again with
4 channels of stuff, and you mix the 4 channels down to 2. Except
all this happens in one box.

- Logan
!